“Great place to stay in Stone Town, owners are amazing!”

The Rosal Stone Town Hotel
Ranked #7 of 30 Stone Town B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Great place to stay in Stone Town, owners are amazing!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Rosal is a fantastic place to stay while in Stone Town. Rose and Al (the owners--cute!) are amazing--they make it a point to sample every restaurant in town so they can give great recommendations at every price point. They also have a cadre of reliable taxi drivers and tour guides on hand to help you with whatever it is you want to do. I had previously been to Stone Town before the Rosal opened and stayed elsewhere and trying to figure out who to go with in the throngs of people offering tours and taxi rides can be quite daunting but Rose and Al make it easy. The hotel is also a great value--the rooms are simple but have AC, a fan, and a mini fridge and are very clean. The shower also has HOT water if you want it. Breakfast is great and served every morning on the roof top terrace and usually consists of a fruit plate, juice, porridge, coffee, tea, eggs, sausage (non-pork--this is Zanzibar), toast and something sweet. The only downside is that the restaurant truly is in the heart of stone town, in the throng of narrow, winding streets. But the locals are great and very helpful in giving directions (once even walking us there themselves!) and, if you want, Al can arrange a very reasonably priced taxi to pick you up at the airport or ferry to get you there. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BonneVivante79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Turkish first
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Rosal Stone Town Hotel is located 2 minutes from the ferry and 1 minute from the main market, and in a residential neighbourhood, which is predominantly Arab. I was apprehensive when I first arrived, as it is located off the main artery, in a very narrow street. As I was there during Ramadhan, (which means fasting from sunrise to sundown), I was awakened to the call to prayer early in the morning. In the evening, I watched, with great interest as families, dressed in their best prayer attire, headed off to Mosque to pray again after sundown. It was a fascinating experience. I was greeted everywhere with the ubiquitous "jambo" which is hello by all I met. When I got lost in the maze of narrow small streets (twice), I was escorted back to my hotel by very accommodating young boys who were playing with their friends. I even had a very insightful conversation with one about the pros and cons of Islam versus Christianity. I am a far more enlightened person for this experience.
The staff and owners of the hotel could not have been more gracious and helpful. Rose, the owner, even escorted me to the ferry , upon my departure, so that I would not get lost.
The Internet worked (which is not always the case in East Africa), and breakfast was delicious and the rooms was very comfortable.
I would stay there again in a heartbeat - great value for the money!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Linda P
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I agree with the other reviews...the owners of The Rosal are excellent hosts. I was sick for a week when I got to Zanzibar and they did everything to make sure my stay was comfortable and took care of small details like making sure I had food or medicine to feel better. Next I'm in Zanzibar, I will definately go back to this hotel. The rooms were very clean. The hotel is next to many fun shops too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

it was my first time in zanzibar and upon arrival the owner was very welcoming and friendly.suggested places where i might find interested.I just loved it there the rosal is clean and everybody there was very friendly.the location of the hotel is close to everything that is prehestorical and all the ventures one may want to see. Thanks aalot Al and Rose.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Traveling on a budget, I tried the Flamingo Guesthouse and St Monica Hostal. Being very dissatisfied and disappointed, I turned to The Rosal. I know this is comparing apples and pears, as we say in The Netherlands, and that the Rosal is in a somewhat higher price range, but this is the place to feel at home in Stone Town, Zanzibar. The hospitality is warm and great. Relaxed. The room was perfect. Good bathroom with hot water that was actually hot (I have experienced otherwise, even in hotels in this range). Room with air conditioning, fan, fridge, telephone, tv and above all a very comfortable bed with beautiful (literally) new mosquito net. All very clean.
The breakfast completed the picture: everything you may be used to and than some more. Served on the spacy roof terrace with a stunning view over old Stone Town.
The Rosal is, as others on this page have noticed before me, a very recommendable place to stay. Close to the harbour and in the middle of the old town. Rose and Alnashir very warmly welcome you as personal guests and offer all you need.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is my second time staying here and I love this place. The best thing about this place are the owners. They are very friendly and hospitable. Al and Rose made sure I was comfortable at all times. The location is also great, getting a can in Zanzibar can be annoying at times, so its nice to walk off the ferry and be at the hotel in a few minutes. Forodhani is a ten minute walk from the Hotel. The rooms are very clean and ACs work great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here for a night and would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Stone Town.
Rose and Alnashir were extremely courteous and helpful in every possible way.
Good luck to you both.