“A WOOOW EXPERIENCE”

Tembo House Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
“A WOOOW EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Well, it was our first stay in Tembo Hotel. We received an excellent customer service; everything was fantastic. We are looking forward for December holiday. Thanks for making our stay wonderful. Please, additional of an entertainment (beach/sports or live/traditional) would add on hotel experience.

Noel & Rose

Room Tip: Rooms with Ocean view are the best
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tembo House H, Manager at Tembo House Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Noel,

Thank you so much for taking your precious time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor, which we believe that it will give the clear picture to who ever visit the site and looking forward to stay with us.

We are extremely happy to hear that your stay with us was marvelous and we will maintain our hospitality to all our future customers.

Looking forward to host you once again

"karibu tena na ahsante sana"
Management and staff of Tembo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is my second stay at this beautiful, historical hotel. The first stay was excellent, so this time I brought a group of 6 with me. Everyone had comfortable rooms and were impressed with the location and the service. One of our group became ill and the General Manager, Mr Abdulaziz, went out of his way to make sure she was well taken care of. This hotel is in the best location in Stonetown, right on the beachfront. From here, you can arrange a boat ride directly across to Prison Island to see the endangered Aldabra tortoises. I'm already looking forward to my next stay in September.

Room Tip: Ask with a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Tembo House H, General Manager at Tembo House Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear value guest

Thank you very much for taking your precious time on writing your review on our property.

We are more than happy to hear that you are satisfied with our service and hotel environments.

It really gives us moral to maintain our hospitality to our all future customers.

We are looking forward to hosting you again,

"karibu tena na ahsante sana"

Best regards
G.Manager Mr.Abdulaziz and rest of the team
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel is really nice, with swimming pool and beach. The biggest advantage is its location, just 5 minutes walk to the night market, 10 minutes to the port. The only reason for not giving a 5-star rating is the breakfast, which was quite below average.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tembo House H, Manager at Tembo House Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Hello dear Kathuska ,

Thank you for taking your precious time in sharing your experience with us, we appreciate for your comments and its really helpful.

We notice that and we rectify the short falls and we promise to upgrade service. We will try our level best to make sure that we meet clients satisfaction.

We are looking forward to see you once again.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Tembo House Hotel is not only a beautiful, atmospheric hotel with a fabulous location right on the water - the staff are immensely helpful. I came down with a severe bout of food poisoning on my last night in Zanzibar and ended up in a hospital in the middle of the night. The next morning, the hotel manager came to the hospital to visit me. He then booked me a flight back to Dar es Salaam so I could catch my evening flight back home, picked me up from the hospital, provided me with lunch and even drove me personally to the airport. If it weren't for the staff at Tembo I wouldn't be back home right now. As they wouldn't accept even an extra night's charge for the room (as I stayed much later than check-out time), I can only give them the highest rating here on Tripadvisor. A sincere thanks to the staff and management at Tembo for their help that exceeded all expectations.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank L C
Tembo House H, General Manager at Tembo House Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear value guest,

Thank you very much for taking your precious time on writing classic review on our property and service given to you during your stay we us. What ever we have done during that short period is our duty to ensure you are comfort stay with us, we hope that you are fully recovered by now.

Hope to see you once again with your family members,
"ahsante sana na karibu tena"

Best regards
management and staff of tembo house hotel and apartments
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I really wanted to love this hotel: it's look, it's history, the great atmosphere and decorations and pool and location. But I couldn't. The first room I had (Room 2) had no hot water and little water pressure: I discovered this the morning after checking in when I was woken up with a phone call from management telling me someone was coming to fix the heater: they knew it was broken when they checked me in but they put me in the room anyway. Great. On the plus side, Room 2 was a really nice looking room.

My next room - Room 12 - was also nice and had hot water. What it did not have was a working remote control for the A/C. When they showed me the room, they solved this problem by removing the batteries from the remote and then reloading the same batteries back in. This actually worked ... long enough to turn on the A/C at least, but not long enough to try and adjust the temperature 5 minutes later. The mosquito nets on the beds were a good idea ... too bad about the holes in the netting, which defeated the idea. The bathroom was large but something was leaking: the floor was constantly wet.

I will say the building is beautiful but seemed sadly underused: a beautiful 2nd floor lounge at the back of the hotel overlooking the ocean would have been a great tea room (or bar if the place ever gets a liquor licence) but there is nothing served there and was empty every time I went up. Being on the ocean is great, except the harbour is polluted and they don't recommend you swim in it (although many locals d). I waded in (I had never been in the Indian Ocean and at least wanted to say I was in) but it was not the best smelling ocean I have been in (the water on the other side of the peninsula seemed cleaner).

The pool was great, and the sun lounge areas were enjoyable, although why they have not connected the three areas rather than keeping them all separate I do not know.

There is free WiFi ... as long as you are sitting in the front lobby. When I complained that the WiFi did not work in my room, they pointed out that they only had one router, in the lobby. they then suggested, "Maybe tomorrow." Not sure wha =t they really thought was going to happen tomorrow that would suddenly make their lone router penetrate the very thick walls of the hotel. Needless to say, it still only worked in the lobby when tomorrow rolled around.

On the plus side, the staff and very friendly and helpful when they could be, the food for breakfast was great, and the gelato out back was perfect on a hot day. And for getting around Stone Town, the location is very convenient.

Room Tip: Room soverloking the pool seemed a bit nicer and had a balcony (neither of my rooms did) ... althoug...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Tembo House H, Guest Relations Manager at Tembo House Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear value guest,

We are apologize for shower pressure which was caused due to technical problem with the pressure pump which is already replaced.

Looking forward to see you once again,

"ahsante sana na karibu tena"

Best Regards
Management,
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Tembo House is a cosy hotel in the middle of Stone Town, down to the beach. It has a good atmosphere, nice and large rooms with AC and a very polite staff. Its always nice to stay here, we have been here 3 times, and recommend the place very much.

Room Tip: Book in advance
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tembo House H, Manager at Tembo House Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Hans,

It really gives us moral to maintain our hospitality to our all our customers.

We are looking forward to see you again,
"ahsante na karibu tena"

Veazie, Maine
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in Tembo Hotel for one night when we were in Stone Town. The front staff was very nice and our room was beautiful, as it was right on the beach overlooking the water. Our room had working air conditioning and hot showers. We went for a swim in the pool since our guidebook advised against swimming in the ocean here (although people were), and we found the pool to be very refreshing.

When we first got to our room, I noticed some ants on the wall. They were gone by the end of the day, and they didn't eat our food :).

We spent a lot of time relaxing on the lounge chairs on the beach which was very nice. There were many dhows on the water right in front of the hotel that could take you to the outlying islands. We hired one to take us to Prison Island for $50.

Breakfast in the morning was good. There was juice, coffee, cereal, pastries, and hot dishes.

We traveled to Tanzania in January/February 2014.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank swhitty
Jambo swhitty ,

We notice that and we rectify the short falls and we promise to upgrade the cleanness and hygiene through out the hotel premises.

We looking forward to see you once again.
"karibu tena"

DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Maru Maru Hotel
Maru Maru Hotel
#10 of 33 in Stone Town

Been to Tembo House Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!