“Beatiful vacation and family hotel”
Review of Mtoni Marine Hotel

Mtoni Marine Hotel
Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I visited this hotel for a holiday in September with my partner.Its a nice place to stay from the hustle of stone town and yet close. The rooms are spacious with big enough bathroom. The hotel has big swimming pool and a beautiful beach unlike most hotels in Zanzibar. The food is great and the beach sports bar is a good place to unwind and review the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ceropal2013
MtoniM, Direttore at Mtoni Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Guest,

I was so happy to read that you enjoyed most aspects of your recent stay at Mtoni Marine.
I am pleased that the location of the Hotel worked well for you and you appreciated our comfortable rooms, facilities and the quality of the food at our restaurant.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 September 2013

A good place to stay in. Beautiful surroundings.

Sadly our room got broken into while were out. £350 and 50,000T/sh got taken. We had left it in the safe and had the key on us all the time. Obviously someone used or had a spare key. I suspect it happens alot there, and not everyone counts their money on leaving, hence the thief took "a little" as to not arise suspicion.

We reported this to the Management who really could not do much. We were offered a free stay for two, which is no good to us as we had come to the end of our holiday in Zanzibar, and we live over 4000 miles away in UK!

However, it was a tranquil place, sadly infested with mosquitoes (which cannot be helped) and the kids enjoyed the swimming pool and the freedom too run around the place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
MtoniM, Direttore at Mtoni Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time review your stay at Mtoni Marine.
We were extremely alarmed by your statement regarding the money stolen in the safe of the room, we take these situations very seriously indeed.
We sincerely apologize to you for this experience with us.
We do not have any record of such an event in the past but as always with you can never be too careful.
The keys of the room safes are well guarded in the safe of our reception and they are taken from there only at the client's check in time , no spare keys are left around unguarded.
We feel very sorry to read about your suspicion regarding theft cases as a common practice at our hotel, this is not the case.

Again we are extremely sorry for this incident that unfortunately left you with a bad taste, but we do hope that we can still welcome you in the future at our hotel.
I can be reached directly at mtoni@zanzibar.cc if you would like to further discuss.

Sincerely

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here for three nights after climbing Kili and safaris. We really enjoyed having some down time after our amazing adventures. The hotel has a nice pool with ocean views. The music was stuck in the 80's and the drinks are pricey, but it is a low key resort. The employees are incredibly helpful and nice. Special kudos to the woman who schedules the excursions and the spa staff. I wished we were closer to town so that we could walk there. We had all of meals at the hotel and the staff will move your dinner table to the beach upon request. We highly recommend eating under the stars on the beach. The food ranges from good to excellent, although the menu doesn't change and we did get a bit weary of the choices. The tipping policy is strange: if you tip using your credit card for your meals, the tips go to the other hotel staff (not the waiters). The only way to tip the waiters is with cash directly. Took us a bit to understand this. We enjoyed the Spice Plantation tour, the walking tour of Stone Town, as well as the Prison Island tour.

1  Thank ljm731
MtoniM, Direttore at Mtoni Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Guest,

I really do appreciate you taking the time to leave your nice comments following your stay at Mtoni Marine.
I was so happy that you found our staff welcoming, friendly and helpful.
I have passed on your kind words to my great team here.
The unusual tipping policy depends on the two different managements we have in the Hotel and in the Restaurants.
Having two separate accountings the client ,who would like to tip the waiters, should ask to add it just on the restaurant bill.
However it happens sometimes that the staff ask for a cash tip as they don't like so much to share.
I am very sorry that we were not clear enough since the beginning about this.

I do hope that we can look after you once again in the near future.
Many thanks

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We came here based on recommendations that it was good for families. I was unimpressed on several levels. First, it was fairly expensive, as much as a Serena or other high-end hotels. Second, the "family-friendly amenities" were in horrible condition. There is a baby pool, but the water is stagnant and there was a layer of dirt and dead bugs along the sides of it. There is a small "playground" but it is very run-down. The swings are crooked, the trampoline's net is falling down, it generally didn't look safe to play in. The room was o.k. but nothing special, and the TV is so small and mounted on the wall that you really can't see it from the bed. The food wasn't very good either, and I was unimpressed with the breakfast (lack of fresh fruit, juice, etc.). I really felt for the money this hotel came off as a dump.

1  Thank Erins_travels
MtoniM, Direttore at Mtoni Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear guest,

I am really sorry you feel aggrieved with your visit at our Hotel, this is not the feedback we like to receive.
Please accept my apologies for what must have looked like a lack of caring and attention here at the property.

I am looking into the playground and I do know that the trampoline has been damaged twice during the crowed days of Eid Al Fitr celebration, unfortunately we didn’t manage to fix it promptly enough as it should have been.

We are gratify that you juxtaposed Mtoni Marine with Serena Hotel, but we never had the pretension to compete with this well-known Hotel because as we cannot offering the same facilities and luxuries our rates are obviously 4 times lower than theirs!

However I know that we can do better and I am disappointed that we collectively fell short with your expectations in more than one area, especially where most of our clients recognize as our strength: the facilities and the great hospitality for family.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt so negatively about your stay, I do hope that we can look after you once again in the future to remedy your negative impression of our service and hospitality.

Warm regards

Reviewed 8 August 2013

i visited this place mid June, just for day trip.we had lunch at mcheza restaurant,nicely done,very taste and healthy.

the workers are happy @ time they serve you.when you visit this place you will never get boared,till you leave.

the front dest, very helpful,the hotel reservation personel Mr Shauri, very famous guy for his good work,he was very kind to us.he is ready to go extra mile to satisfy the client,i like that.
we left Mtoni with full smile.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
MtoniM, Marketing Manager at Mtoni Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at Mtoni Marine. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt comfortable and were served well.

We hope to have you again soon so we could serve you one more time :-)

Regards
Shahzmah Tim
Marketing Manager
marketing@zanzibar.cc

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I chose this hotel because I love swimming and I saw their claim about a 25 metre infinity pool. True, all true. It was super. As long as you choose your time of day you can crack out a kilometre or two in peace.
The breakfast are very good, the staff very friendly and helpful and the hotel is kept clean and tidy.
I would/will definitely go back.

Room Tip: By 'fitness centre' above, I mean swimming pool. Maybe beware school holiday times, eg from...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AndyPlovesSwimming

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to comment about your stay with us.

We are happy to learn that your expectations regarding the swimming pool were met and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Always a pleasure to know our customers enjoy their stay and that they are satisfied.

We welcome you again whenever you plan to visit us - We say Ahsante sana & Karibu tena :)

Regards
Shahzmah Tim
Marketing Manager
marketing@zanzibar.cc

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for five nights after being on safari in Selous.
(I had diarrhea when we arrived at the hotel and the tea we were served on arrival is the best I have ever tasted, dried as I was.)
The rooms were decent and cleanliness Ok.
The Sports bar served very good food, but when we were six, it took a little too long to get our food, even though the number of waiters surpasses most I've seen.
A la carte restaurant served generous and good dinners but we did rarely eat up everything. Tip: reduce the portions ...
The breakfast was fine without the big highlights, but better than continnental breakfast anyway.
The pool area was lovely and we strongly recommend lemon slush at the bar there, made ​​of fresh squeezed citrus fruits.
The staff were obviously trained to say "good morning, how are you", and it was a little tiring when I met 15 employees on my way from A to B. After 12 greetings, I could not resist responding - Good morning, I have diarrhea.
Overall - a good stay!

Zanzibar Beach Resort
Zanzibar Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Mazizini
Tembo House  Hotel & Apartments

Been to Mtoni Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!