“Loved this hotel.”

Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Port Moody, Canada
“Loved this hotel.”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My daughter and I spent 3 nights at the Chavda Hotel this month while in Stone Town and really enjoyed it.... the rooms were very clean and HUGE. The food in the restaurant (roof top) was exellent and the view was great. I would recommend this hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucie N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Devonshire Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Chavda hotel during the 2012 Sauti Za Busara Music Festival.
From this location you can easily walk almost every where in Stone Town ie. to the Fort where the festival was held, historic sites, resturants, souvenir shops, money exchange places etc.)

The rooms were extremely spacious and the air conditioning worked very well.

The open-air rooftop restaurant was breath taking! I enjoyed going there to eat breakfast every morning. You can't help but take many photos of the spectacular views from the different angles of the city that this vantage point affords. You can see the harbour,St Joseph's Catholic Church, an interesting Mosque, rooftops of the town buildings etc.

I have to mention the great service i received at the hotel
One day the hot water pipe underneath the sink in my bathroom wall burst just as I was about to go out. I called the front desk and someone came right away. I went out as planned leaving water all over the floor. When I returned to my room late that night the pipe had been repaired and all the water had been cleaned up.

The most impressive service I recevied though occured upon my arrival at the hotel. I needed to get a local mini sim card for my Iphone. The front desk sent Ali (a hotel worker) to take me to the local telephone company to get the sim card. The telephone company was a short walk from the hotel and but they didn't want me to get lost on my first day in Stone town which is like a mini maze. So Ali walked with me, he explained to the people at the telephone company what I wanted and then he walked me back to the hotel. Of course I gave him a very nice tip for this personal service as I was extremely appreciative of him taking the time to assist me

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisa B
Neumunster, Germany
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Chavda Hotel is really just average in most ways. We have stayed elsewhere in Stone Town and there are certainly better places. Not the best value for money. It is OK. After checking in reception staff did not add us to their list so when we came back after a walk they could not find us. The girl did not even recognise us. Only soap provided where other places with similar rates provide shampoo etc. As a result there was no bed turn down. Mosquito net too small for the bed, no protection provided as a result. Do not flush the toilet at night as the noise from the plumbing will wake your partner! Breakfast was poor. All in all not so good and we will not go back. If we wanted backpacker standards we would prefer to pay backpacker prices.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Looks okay from the outside, but the rooms have big dark wooden beds, with red velvet armchairs, bright blue bathrooms that are rusted. The pillows were disgusting - I looked under the pillow slip and the actual pillow was so awful. We only spent one night and we had a good nights sleep (quiet) but I could not imagine having a holiday there. Choose somewhere else!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel

Travellers are raving about these Stone Town hotels

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed at the Chavda for two nights during the big music fest in Stone Town in February 2012. It was a great location close to the heart of Stone Town. Everything was within walking distance. The room was very clean and comfy. Plenty of hot water as well. The A/C on the wall cooled the room off quickly. i've lived in apartments smaller than the bathroom in that hotel room (#107). The breakfast each morning was decent. Plenty of fresh fruit, juice, etc and they cooked eggs to order (from a selection of styles - not every style possible).
For the price you might find cheaper places. But it was worth the price. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Hong Kong
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Built around a quiet little tile courtyard The Chavda is a lovely hotel. It has the feel of a middle eastern merchant's house starting from the huge brass studded doors at the entrance to the pierced metal work lamps and wide plank floors. We booked our room through Hotels.com and got a great deal. We got a big king sized bed in the traditional local style, with a comfy foam mattress and mosquito nets that were in good condition and closed properly. The room itself was generously sized and the bathroom had good water pressure and very hot hot water (be careful it is hot). The staff are friendly and helpful and could arrange day trips, drivers and other activities if you wanted but they weren't overly pushy (we did run across this in other places we stayed). The rooftop restaurant had good wi-fi service and you could see most of Stone Town and some of the coast while you sipped your drink. Also the breakfast had a fantastic selection of fresh fruit and real coffee that actually tasted quite decent a nice change for eastern Africa. If your going to Stone Town I would recommend the Chavda as a pleasant place to stay.

Kaarst
Reviewed 3 February 2012

The hotel is situated in a perfect location in the heart of Stone Town.
Only a few minutes walk to the seaside, the museum and the old fort.
Roms are large and very clean with excellent airco.
Interior is nice sansibary style.
Nice rooftop restaurant where also a excellent breakfast is served.
Service and staff is really extraordinary but friendly and supportive.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011