“Great location and staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chavda Hotel Ltd

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stone Town
Chavda Hotel Ltd
Ranked #30 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
West Springfield, Massachusetts
“Great location and staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

We arrived at the Chavda on August 1, 2012. We spent one night in a suite, which was not worth the extra money. It had a separate room with a flat screen TV and a loveseat and chair, but we don't look for space or television. The next day we moved to a room across the hall and it was perfect. We don't spend much time in our room and this room had a beautiful porch/balcony out a back door. It was about 30 feet long and 12 feet wide with 2 chairs and a coffee table. We would come back from our day and go out there and relax before we left for the evening. Breakfast was good, plenty of fresh fruit and eggs to order. It was on the roof with some lovely views. The staff was very accommodating and we had great experiences with the walking tour they set up for us and the Spice Plantation and trip to Prison Island. They even got us a great deal on transportation to the airport when we were leaving. The staff seemed to anticipate our needs and were very attentive. We thought the location was ideal, we could walk anywhere in Stone Town from here. Our room was always clean, our bathroom was huge and we had no problem at all with bugs of any sort. We never had to use our mosquito netting. Their dinner menu was okay, but we preferred to explore other places.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a private porch/balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pam M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

The Good...

The hotel itself is really lovely, and (most of) the staff are really friendly and helpful.

It's central and very close to the water, the park and nice restaurants.

Our bedroom and bathroom were large, spacious and have everything that we needed. It was clean and well presented.

The Bad...

The mosquito net over our bed was full of large holes, rendering it useless.

The bath wasn't fitted/sealed to the walls, so when you're having a shower, then floor of the bathroom get quite wet. Best not to leave your towel on the ground...

Breakfast was on the roof; the view was really nice, however the food wasn't up to much.
We were offered eggs when we first arrived, but opted out as we weren't sure what they would be like. After seeing another family getting them, we asked if we could have them, to which the girl serving told us no, as we said we didn't want them on arrival...
They offer you warm or cold milk for your cereal. The cold milk is room temperature, which there is warm... go figure.

The fridge was dangerously 'plugged' into the socket by two exposed wires...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Covington, Louisiana, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

The Chavda Hotel is not much to look at on the outside but it is quite charming on the inside. During our June 2012 stay, we had a two bed suite with a 'salon' and a balcony overlooking a very tiny courtyard. The room was clean and the bathroom sufficient. Linens and towels were a little on the frayed side but clean. The one down side was that the A/C shut off during the night when it was most needed. We turned the ceiling fan on to compensate but it was very noisy. The hotel staff was courteous. The restaurant on the roof was very nice with a comfortable breeze and an expansive view. The staff was very helpful in helping us tap into the restaurant's wi-fi. The menu had a decent selection of options and what we ordered was good. If one had to stay in Stone Town rather than at a hotel on a Zanzibaran beach, Chavda should be considered as an option.

Room Tip: It was nice to have a room facing a courtyard for the extra air flow.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Chavda with a colleague during a tour of East Africa. Not sure what to expect an when we arrived in the evening we were both a bit dissapointed. We went to the roof terrace which has an amazing view of Stone Town and has very good and cheap food and beers. After the first night we changed our view and actually really liked the Chavda. The rooms are very clean got powerfull A/C, a fridge, TV and has local furnitures including a Zanzibari bed. The hotel is very different than the usual business hotels I stay in which was a nice change. Staff are very friendly. Eating in the roof terrace is a must and very cheap, and beers are half price of the Serena Inn where most of our other colleagues were staying.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Rolfbusk
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed here twice i night each
The Staff were great and went out of their way to be accommadating.
Food was good and the room very clean and comfrotable

Room Tip: very safe secure centrally located
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank enuffnrg
Port Moody, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My daughter and I spent 3 nights at the Chavda Hotel this month while in Stone Town and really enjoyed it.... the rooms were very clean and HUGE. The food in the restaurant (roof top) was exellent and the view was great. I would recommend this hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucie N
Devonshire Parish, Bermuda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Chavda hotel during the 2012 Sauti Za Busara Music Festival.
From this location you can easily walk almost every where in Stone Town ie. to the Fort where the festival was held, historic sites, resturants, souvenir shops, money exchange places etc.)

The rooms were extremely spacious and the air conditioning worked very well.

The open-air rooftop restaurant was breath taking! I enjoyed going there to eat breakfast every morning. You can't help but take many photos of the spectacular views from the different angles of the city that this vantage point affords. You can see the harbour,St Joseph's Catholic Church, an interesting Mosque, rooftops of the town buildings etc.

I have to mention the great service i received at the hotel
One day the hot water pipe underneath the sink in my bathroom wall burst just as I was about to go out. I called the front desk and someone came right away. I went out as planned leaving water all over the floor. When I returned to my room late that night the pipe had been repaired and all the water had been cleaned up.

The most impressive service I recevied though occured upon my arrival at the hotel. I needed to get a local mini sim card for my Iphone. The front desk sent Ali (a hotel worker) to take me to the local telephone company to get the sim card. The telephone company was a short walk from the hotel and but they didn't want me to get lost on my first day in Stone town which is like a mini maze. So Ali walked with me, he explained to the people at the telephone company what I wanted and then he walked me back to the hotel. Of course I gave him a very nice tip for this personal service as I was extremely appreciative of him taking the time to assist me

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends