“Great location, needs some work on facilities”
Review of Chavda Hotel Ltd

Chavda Hotel Ltd
Ranked #30 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Bonn, Germany
“Great location, needs some work on facilities”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I spent 1 night at this hotel because my flight was cancelled and we were redirected to this hotel in the city centre.

Location is awesome if you plan to walk around the city. The rooftop restaurant has a very nice 180/360 view of the city, although it's arguable that the city landscape is that great. But the main buildings are visible and you get some sea view as well.

The rooms are OK, however mine was right next to a small field with animals, and they were very noisy very early in the morning. The room and the bathroom are clean as well, however the bathroom had a water leak that made a huge puddle across the whole floor.

Staff was helpful, and tried their best to help us get to the airport on the next day.

Depending on your budget and the amount of time you which to spend in Stone Town, is a nice place to consider.

This could be a great place with a little work on the rooms, but somehow the facilities don't match the decoration and first glance charm.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Roatan
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This charming, historic hotel is quite quaint and perfectly situated in Stone Town. The staff was friendly but the rooms could use a little TLC. We had a water leak in our bathroom that caused huge puddles on 3/4 of the bathroom floor each day for the 3 days/nights we were there. We reported it each morning but nothing was ever done about it. The mattresses are quite soft and need replacing but for the price, it was a good value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

First impressions were great. Room was beautiful, bathroom clean, a/c was good (and you need it in Stonetown ). Downside was the fridge did not work well The roof top bar has great views of the town and the food was above average. Staff were polite but you got the impression they did not enjoy their work and just going through the motions. Stayed there for two days but never saw a manager anywhere. Ordered an early morning wake up call that was missed along with a taxi which failed to arrive. The staff though did get us another one quite quickly

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed in the chavda for two nights when I visited zanzibar. I found the chavda hotel to be a little palace comparing to other places I had stayed during my trip. The rooms were beautiful and the beds were so relaxing, I adored the gour posts it gave me a taste of stonetown.
However I wasnt overly happy with my bathroom it was a little dirty and a few tiles missing although my friends bathroom was beautiful so I wouldn't hold that against them. At breakfast time on the roof absolutely took my breath away..we were overlooking stonetown and that was my favourite part of the hotel.
I suffered from really bad sunburn so i foun tge beauty salon brilliant and the girls were very nice. We werent far away either from thr famous freddy mercury restaurant which was also lovely.
The staff were friendly and very helpful as they helped us get ferry tickets to dar es salem and arranged a taxi for us also. If you do visit stonetown I would recommend I he chavda hotel it really was a treat.

• Stayed November 2012
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I took a group of 24 and would use it again for myself and further group visits. It represents good value for money, the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were very good, although bathrooms do need some repairs and updating. Breakfasts were very good in the roof top restaurant. It's location is great for Stonetown.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The room was spacious, bedroom clean and well equipped, bathroom grubby and old. The hotel appeared to be empty when I was there, I only saw 2 others guest in 48 hours at breakfast time. Front desk staff where very friendly, helpful and always smiling, staff at breakfast were miserable, unhelpful and rude. I went to the roof top resteraunt one night to eat and quickly left, staff where unfriendly and appeared inconvenienced at actually having to do some work. Being in the middle of stone town the hotel is very noisy, bit that is to be expected for the location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Hotel Chavda is conveniently located in Stone Town. I booked a single room for $85 and I found it to be spacious and tastily decorated with Arab furniture. The bed and pillows were somewhat hard, but other than that the room was full of character and comfortable. So I do not share other reviewers' and the Lonely Planet guide's mixed experience with their rooms. The wifi was free and working well, although slowly as in other part of Tanzania. The restaurant is on the terrace and you will need to hike up 6 flights of steps to get there but you'll be rewarded with a beautiful view of Stone Town and the small islands off the coast. I also found the breakfast to be better than what I expected based on other reviews. There were 5 varieties of delicious tropical fruits, juice, coffee, bread, pastries and an omelet made to order. The spice tour arranged by the hotel took me to the Zito Plantation 10 miles away in Kizimbani and it was memorable. I'm not a plant fanatic, but I'd give that alone a 5 star. They grow an impressive array of fragrant plants, tropical fruit trees and spices. Hamad, the guide, was well versed in many languages and was knowledgeable about medicinal, culinary and cosmetic uses. I touched and frequently smelled fruits, seeds or leaves of turmeric, vanilla, coffee, clove, henna, nutmeg, iodine, aloe, several coconut and banana plants, ginger, black pepper, cotton, jasmine, cinnamon, lemongrass and a few others. I was shown how the colorants are made and how a nick in the bark leads to a resin with antiseptic properties.The highlight was watching a kid climbing up a 100 feet tall palm tree with bare feet and hands in a few seconds to show how coconuts are harvested. An impressive feat.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo