“Reasonable value, but requires updating and maintenance” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangani Hotel

Shangani Hotel
Ranked #24 of 31 Stone Town B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Reasonable value, but requires updating and maintenance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Shanghani is in a very good location, and the hotel has alot of character to it - some lovely decor in Zanzibari style, the only problem is that it has not been maintained well. Overall the place needs some freshening up with paint. the bedrooms were reasonably comfortable however the bathrooms need updating; faucets were dripping or not working, and the water was salty.

Breakfast was standard and the service was good. All in all it was reasonably priced compared to others in the area, and you shouldn't expect luxury. For a short stay this is a good hotel, for a longer trip it is probably worth spending a little extra for a nicer hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

The Shangani Hotel has the unmistakable air of a hotel that's sinking into disrepair. It clearly used to be a pretty nice place, and it's still OK, but the place needs some work and attention.

As soon as I checked in, I tried to take a shower, and the faucet handle came off in my hand -- it was so corroded and rusty that the metal had become brittle. The front desk sent someone up to take a look at it, and they determined it couldn't quickly be fixed, so they offered to move me to another room. That was fine, but they didn't even offer to have anybody help me move my stuff to the new room. No big deal, but I thought that was a little lazy.

My second room was all right; nothing was broken (except for the mini-fridge, but I never once encountered a working mini-fridge in any African hotel room, over the course of a thirteen-month trip through Africa). The bed was comfortable, and the nice satellite TV was a big plus. Someone came around every evening to spray the window frames with mosquito repellent; this technique seems to work, as I never saw a mosquito in my room over the course of a four-night stay.

Aside from the fact that they didn't offer to help me move rooms, the service was fine, and everyone was polite and helpful.

I would stay at Shangani again, unless I had the money to stay someplace really nice. Shangani was much nicer and more comfortable than the budget-level backpacker places, without being super-expensive, and that's what I was looking for.

It would be a good thing, though, if the owner would put some work into the place -- I got the distinct impression that maintenance isn't a big priority there, and the building and its fixtures could use some attention.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank dumpendebat
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

This place was fine-not great, but fine. We stayed for two nights and have been to Stone Town multiple times. I was bummed by the lack of character and simplicity of the rooms. Our bed was so squeaky my daughter was woken up if we breathed. The location is good-just mind the cars when you step out, but I'd rather be in the town's warren of roads and pay 10$ more for some old stone town appeal.

Water was mildly salty, but that did not bother me-good pressure, hot water...a/c with no knobs. Luckily we travel with mini tool kit so could adjust it to be cool. Breakfast was lack luster for sure and I have certainly had better views elsewhere. Will not stay here again as I can get more for that rate elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Worldtravelor2010
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

the price fit the hotel and the location was very good no doubt but I was so disappointed to find out that water in the bathroom was salty, I felt like I was bathing in sea water! I used the the bottled water in the fridge to wash my face and brush my teeth but of course it wasn't enough for all the 3 in the room and little did I know that we were being charged for the bottled water. Once we got there we were not happy with the water so we just left our bags in the room and went down to the reception to ask if we could check out and they wanted us to pay for the full day, we were in the hotel for 20 minutes only, we ended up staying. I recommend seeing the rooms first and tasting the water before deciding you are going to stay there. The only time we were in the was at night and it rained that night and the power was out. our AC was out till morning when power was back. We did not sleep at all because of the rain and wind which caused shattering/slamming of the roof! At 5 am we could hear prayers from the mosque. Our stay was horrible. I don't know what to say more. We rather spend more money and be comfortable than suffer!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank astute88

Travellers are raving about these Stone Town hotels

Maun, Botswana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

I stayed with my friend for a few nights there for about $55 per night B&B. The rooms are ok, basic but clean, have mossie nets, tv and fridge. We stayed in 309, very nice with a large balcony. Later we stayed also in 309, not so nice as you have the mosque speaker facing the room. The breakfast on the rooftop is very basic, but the coffee was outstanding. Staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel has a great location to reach other sites in a few minutes by foot. I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2006
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ProHospitalityCons
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2008

The first problem occured when we arrived, they did not have our booking. Once we nipped to the internet place next door & printed out the confirmation they were OK.
The rooms were nice, clean, good size en suite, mosquito net, fridge & TV. Unfortuantely the electricity failed a few times. The second time it happened was our last night. when we asked for a discount they were very rude and refused as we had not told them during the night (like I was going to get up at 3am and change rooms only to leave at 7am), they then insisted I paid for the bottle of water which we had to open because of it........no discounts to be had at this place!
Breakfast was OK, egg & fruit, lovely roof terrace. The staff overall were friendly. We had our bags lost on the plane and they were extremely helpful at passing on messages etc.
The location is what really makes this place, couldn't have asked for better.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — inconsistant staff service
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
Dorset UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2007

A really comfortable hotel with friendly and helpful staff. It's not the height of luxury but exactly right as a base for exploring Stone Town.
It's great to have air conditioning and the view from the rooftop restaurant was beautiful.
The hotel is a few minutes walk from the nearest beach, where you can hire a boat to Prison Island, and close to the evening fish market.

• Liked — Air conditioning in my room
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo