“Quiet hideaway not far from Stone Town”
Review of Fumba Beach Lodge

Fumba Beach Lodge
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed here recently and really loved it. We got the Baobab Suite, usually reserved for honeymooners, but we were glad to have it for a few days. Firstly, the thatched cottage has an outside jungle bathroom, set around a 1,000 year old baobab tree, which really has to be seen to be believed. Sitting on the balcony which overlooks the beach you can have some friendly visitors during the day such as monkeys and squirrels.

The room itself is very nice with the biggest bed I've ever slept in I think. From the balcony you have some steps down to the beach where you'll find your own sun loungers. At high tide you'll only have a few metres to walk to the sea. The main dining area is where you'll find the pool and various cool places to hang out including various swinging beds, sun loungers and sofas, all with great views out to sea. There's a bar shaped like a dhow boat which is a great place to hang out to watch the sun set. This is also when the bush-babies (big-eyed cute monkeys) come down for a feed right by the bar.

The food here is very good with excellent service.

The hotel provides various activities if you are interested, from diving (some of the most diverse coral you'll find anywhere), guided trips to Stone Town and a fantastic day trip on a dhow boat provided by Safari Blue, based next to the hotel, which I highly recommend.

I would definitely recommend this place in general. It is in a very under-developed area of Zanzibar so it feels nice and quiet, there were no beach-boys at all along this beach, but it's relative proximity to Stone Town means it's easy to go in and get a fix of craziness if you wish! Loved this place and can see us staying there again soon.

Room Tip: It might cost a little bit more, but try and get the Baobab Suite if you can, Room 6. It's worth...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary P

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This really is a relaxing spot, and the hotel is perfect for winding down. Decor is simple and traditional rather than modern, but not to the point of pastiche. The food is really very good. The seafood in particular is sensational. There are no phones or TVs, and the (fast, complimentary) wifi doesn't work all the time, but this is a place to go to escape all that.

Staff were consistently excellent - attentive without being intrusive, friendly and welcoming. Management were very personable and engaging, and made us both feel like they genuinely enjoyed having us as guests. It was great also to see the hotel make real efforts to reach out into the local community for education and employment.

The coast is tidal so, while there is lovely swimming at high tide (watch out for sea urchins - bring reef shoes!) the hike out to the waterline at low tide was a bit much for us.
But beaches on both sides of the peninsula are very pretty, and the hotel is sited on a marine nature reserve. Snorkeling and diving were a bit pricey, but the diving in particular was very fine - immaculate coral and a good range of reef fish, turtles etc - and well-suited for beginners.

The only slight distraction from perfect tranquility was a group of guests (friends of a hotel investor, I think) who slightly took over the lodge at one point. But the hotel staff and management fully deserve a 5 star review.

Room Tip: All seemed nice, but the beachfront rooms towards the Siri Beach side of the estate (but not right a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 5 days in January as part of a mini Zanzibar tour. I'll start with the positives! On arrival we were impressed, the location was good, the views were great and the local staff (Karim especially) were really polite and helpful. Our room was clean and opened right out onto the beach. It really was lovely to open up the large double doors onto the beach front. Very relaxing!

Now for the negatives! On arrival we were told we were booked in on a half board basis, I didn't question this as I'd booked so long ago I could not remember myself. I agreed and clarified that our plan included breakfast and dinner. 4 days later one of the very polite waiters came to see us whilst we were eating breakfast and asked us to sign a $60 bill for dinner the night before. I told him we were half board and he apologised and left. A few moments later the manager, Tracy, arrived and told us THEY had made a mistake booking us in and we were in fact bed a breakfast. Tracy then went on to say we had to pay for the 3 nights of dinner we'd had, despite originally telling us these were free and then admitting THEY made the mistake. I found this very rude, especially as he'd clearly sent a poor waiter over to try and sneakily get us to sign the bill. I refused to pay for these explaining if I knew the price of the meals I would have gone into Stone Town for a much cheaper and nicer meal (which we did that night). He finally agreed with me and slid off. It was a shame as it tainted our stay, despite getting what we wanted we felt he shouldn't have tried it on in the first place and just dealt with the mistake they made themselves.

The price of the food and drinks is very expensive compared to most of the great restaurants in Stone Town. And although it's not bad the quality was the lowest we experienced in Zanzibar. So if you do stay and you're not half or full board then get a taxi into Stone Town for dinner. A taxi would cost about $40 and you can get a good meal for $30 (per couple). However like everything Fumba Beach Lodge you'll pay double the price so don't ask them to arrange taxis or trips. We used Uhuru Tours based in Stone Town for all our taxi and trips.

Another negative were the breakfasts. Again the quality was low, definitely not 4 star. Unless you arrived early the buffet was surrounded by insects despite being covered with cling film. You could order from the menu but again it didn't taste great.

The final negative was another manager issue unfortunately. Whilst being given tour the other manager told us the pool was cloudy but would be fixed by the end of the day. However it could still be used. This didn't bother me as despite my relatively negative review I'm not a fussy person! What bothered me was when I heard the same manager giving some new comers a tour the next day and saying exactly the same thing, that it would be fixed that night (again this did not happen). Honesty isn't obviously their strong point!

So to conclude, it was a lovely place to relax until the point we were annoyed by the manager. He was right by admitting fault but should have apologised and left us, not try and back date our bills!

We did enjoy our stay but would not return or recommend.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LukeBlake
ManagerFumba, General Manager at Fumba Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

First we would like to thank you for your honest input, best things happen from them. We are also thankful for your comments about our staff and the absolute relaxation we have to offer. It is rather nice to be honest. And of course being a proud manager, I am very fond of how well our staff operates.
Now, I would like to apologize if you felt I was rude towards you in regards to the meal plan issue. Of course that was not my intention at all. But upon your request, we agreed that we would make the previous meals complimentary due to the fact it was our mistake. Although it was a terrible and unfortunate mistake on our part in which we cannot take back and am truly sorry, it did give us a chance to identify and build upon our accuracy issues from the beginning point so this will not happen in the future. If you would have been advised correctly from the beginning this would have not been an issue possibly.
In regards to the pool, I agree 100% if not 150% with you as I too was disappointed with the pool, probably more than you were. More frustrating from our part is we just installed a new and bigger pump to improve the pool efficiency. But being on an island we depend solely on imports for our chemicals, as well as many things and sometimes it can be a challenge. Our suppliers simply ran out of the correct chemicals we needed to fix the issue and neglected to inform us. But we did finally get some rushed in and our pool is back to its original beauty.
Overall Fumba Beach Lodge is filled with a lot of greatness, although there were negatives which can be or has been corrected, we do appreciate you also pointing out the positive sides as well.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

A fantastic stay in a well run and comfortable hotel on the water. Away from the more crowded coasts and only 30 minutes from the airport and Stonetown, this is the place you want to be if you need to unwind and decompress. There are no TV's or telephones to bother you (although a fast and complimentary Wifi hotspot is available), with just nicely appointed, thoughtfully designed rooms and bathrooms.

If you can spring for the Baobab Suite, you'll have the unique experience of showering outdoors next to a tree that could be thousands of years old. The food was great, with an innovative and changing dinner menu every night on the water, and the tasty drinks at the unique boat-bar along with the sunset made for some great conversation.

Diving and the fully equipped PADI dive shop, are the best kept secrets here - a Marine National park in front of the lodge, means that five miles of wall reef is in pristine condition. With the help of the experienced on-site dive masters, two scorpion fish, a leaf fish, noodlefishes and lion fishes were spotted in one dive alone. As a bonus it was a drift dive also.

Be sure to pay your respects to "Duma" and "Simba" the resident canines, who probably run the place. Can't wait for a return.

Room Tip: Baobob suite has an outdoor shower and bathroom and is on the water.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

First we would like to thank you for the review and thoroughly enjoyed meeting you. Although I do believe the secret is now officially out for the world to see. Again, thank you and we very much look forward to seeing you soon. Next time though, I am going diving with you!!!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We spent 5 nights at fumba.
We arrived in the fumba lodge in the afternoon. Kirsten, Tracy and Maggie showed us around and we get something to drink in the bar. We were taken to our lodge and we were surprised
breakfast : 3 sorts of fresh juice, lots of tropical fruit.al kind of eggs, very special bread ( njami)
coffee or tea, jam, waffles or pancakes with tropical fruit,cookies ...
lunch : we always had the pasta of the day or the catch ( fish) of the day
diner: you can choose between two starters, soup,two or tree main courses, dessert and coffee or tea
the surroundings are very lovely and there are some romantic places.
the beach is'nt like on the postcards, but you can have a walk on your left to town an at your right to the other beach. When it's ebb you can walk on the reef till the sea
At 18u30 you can have a coctail and enjoy the beautiful sunset.
Around 19u they feed the bushbabies
every evening you get something to read.
During the night you will be surprise by the noise of the animals, ( monkeys-bushbaby-birds ...)
We enjoyed our last evening very mutch :lobster dinner at the seaside
*if you want to snorkel, contact Maggie and she will work something out. some people only want to join the trip on the water and not into the water. If the price can be reduced for those people and some more publicity there will be more interest i think.
some towels at the swimmingpool has to be changed.
thanks to everyone of fumba beach : waiters , cleaning staff and mangagment

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stefstinie

Thank you so very much for choosing Fumba Beach Lodge and taking time out to submit a review. We enjoyed meeting you and spending the week with the group. Of course if you ever feel a chill in your bones during winter winds, always know we would love to see you once again and we have plenty of sunshine for you here. Again thank you very much!!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I spent two nights at Fumba Beach Lodge in November.

Its such a beautiful hotel that you can't help but fall in love with the place. The reception and entrance into the hotel is like walking into heaven and when you see the pool and ocean blend together you know your gonna have a relaxing couple of days…and I really did!

I had one of the double rooms facing the ocean with my own porch which was perfect for watching the sunset in the evening before dinner.
My room was beautiful and always clean and decorated with flowers. The restaurant had a very cool look with tasty food (a little expensive but that is to expect at a place like this).
The service in the restaurant was also great! The waiters seem to really like their job.

I want to give my special thanks to Tammy who was very charming and professional at the same time! She is really someone you need at a place like this..looked like she really cared about everyone and she was always smiling :-)

Thanks for a wonderful stay and sorry for being late with the review!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for allowing us the opportunity to meet you, it was simply fantastic. Also, thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Tammy, yes she is an incredible person with an infectious smile, and like you stated, professional and courteous at the same time. And of course we are always proud of our staff so thank you for mentioning that as well. Hopefully we will see you again soon and thank you very much!

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I spent two nights at Fumba beach lodge in the middle of November 2013. It is a beautiful and secluded lodge located on a peninsula 30 minutes from Stone Town. I went there with a colleague, and we just had a wonderful time. It is a very quiet and calm lodge, a nice and clean pool with a beautiful view of the ocean and surrounding islands. It is also located 5-10 minutes walking on the beach from the Safari Blue tour.

The staff too did a wonderful job, the last evening we were just sitting down to have dinner and one of the waiters came over and told us that they had set up a special table on a small hut/porch that reaches out over the beach. We did not put out a request for anything in that matter, and it was a really nice surprise that they did this for us.

So I would recommend this lodge to everyone who wants to just relax by the ocean side, honeymooners, couples etc etc.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Park Hyatt Zanzibar
Park Hyatt Zanzibar
#2 of 33 in Stone Town
Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins

Been to Fumba Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!