“Total and full relaxation! Food is amazing - Best I had in Zanzibar!”
Review of Fumba Beach Lodge

Fumba Beach Lodge
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Total and full relaxation! Food is amazing - Best I had in Zanzibar!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The perfect hideaway for couples, families or others - you will fall in love with the atmosphere and the rustic designs.

Look forward to the 5 course dinners - in various spots - also go for a walk around - the tropical gardens and the short but cozy butterfly walk is highly recommended.

Room Tip: The Baobab suites is amazing - check it out!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Eivind T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
White River, South Africa
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We did not have the opportunity of staying at the lodge, but were given a tour of the rooms and they had a lovely atmosphere and privacy. We took their snorkelling and island visit excursion on a dhow. The crew and Tammy were very friendly and even added a trip to the sandbar as a suprise. After great snorkelling we were treated to a delicious barbecue on a private little island! I am an island nut and have visited the Maldives, Seychelles and Carribean and found this excursion to offer all the best experiences in only ONE excursion! I am certainly going to return to Zanzibar and will stay at Fumba, and also before the island becomes too commercialised. May it remain a best kept secret...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wanderlust617
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed solo for three nights. Very nice place - beautiful gardens and pool area, beach (even if swimming is only possible at high tide and with protective shoe wear), restaurant. Bungalows are simple but very pretty - only things missing are better mattress and linens as well as AC to keep away the mosquitoes.But the little veranda and hammock are bliss!

Food is good - service is excellent, management very involved and nice. All in all, a very beautiful, peaceful place for those looking for quiet time off! I stayed off season so price was more than reasonable. All in all, a great experience!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mari C
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is a really nice place for people, who like to relax and feel at home in a calm, beautiful holiday hotel. We read the reviews here and expected less, but staying at Fumba Beach really surprised us with an warm, easy going atmosphere. The hotel might not be the fanciest on the island, but it has charm and is perfectly set on the beach, where you can enjoy beautiful nature, great food and peaceful silence. Our recommendation for the evening: sundowner at the bar, which is build into rocks, that keep the warmth of the day and make a perfect spot!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rentelchen
Douglas, Isle of Man
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed here recently and really loved it. We got the Baobab Suite, usually reserved for honeymooners, but we were glad to have it for a few days. Firstly, the thatched cottage has an outside jungle bathroom, set around a 1,000 year old baobab tree, which really has to be seen to be believed. Sitting on the balcony which overlooks the beach you can have some friendly visitors during the day such as monkeys and squirrels.

The room itself is very nice with the biggest bed I've ever slept in I think. From the balcony you have some steps down to the beach where you'll find your own sun loungers. At high tide you'll only have a few metres to walk to the sea. The main dining area is where you'll find the pool and various cool places to hang out including various swinging beds, sun loungers and sofas, all with great views out to sea. There's a bar shaped like a dhow boat which is a great place to hang out to watch the sun set. This is also when the bush-babies (big-eyed cute monkeys) come down for a feed right by the bar.

The food here is very good with excellent service.

The hotel provides various activities if you are interested, from diving (some of the most diverse coral you'll find anywhere), guided trips to Stone Town and a fantastic day trip on a dhow boat provided by Safari Blue, based next to the hotel, which I highly recommend.

I would definitely recommend this place in general. It is in a very under-developed area of Zanzibar so it feels nice and quiet, there were no beach-boys at all along this beach, but it's relative proximity to Stone Town means it's easy to go in and get a fix of craziness if you wish! Loved this place and can see us staying there again soon.

Room Tip: It might cost a little bit more, but try and get the Baobab Suite if you can, Room 6. It's worth...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary P
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This really is a relaxing spot, and the hotel is perfect for winding down. Decor is simple and traditional rather than modern, but not to the point of pastiche. The food is really very good. The seafood in particular is sensational. There are no phones or TVs, and the (fast, complimentary) wifi doesn't work all the time, but this is a place to go to escape all that.

Staff were consistently excellent - attentive without being intrusive, friendly and welcoming. Management were very personable and engaging, and made us both feel like they genuinely enjoyed having us as guests. It was great also to see the hotel make real efforts to reach out into the local community for education and employment.

The coast is tidal so, while there is lovely swimming at high tide (watch out for sea urchins - bring reef shoes!) the hike out to the waterline at low tide was a bit much for us.
But beaches on both sides of the peninsula are very pretty, and the hotel is sited on a marine nature reserve. Snorkeling and diving were a bit pricey, but the diving in particular was very fine - immaculate coral and a good range of reef fish, turtles etc - and well-suited for beginners.

The only slight distraction from perfect tranquility was a group of guests (friends of a hotel investor, I think) who slightly took over the lodge at one point. But the hotel staff and management fully deserve a 5 star review.

Room Tip: All seemed nice, but the beachfront rooms towards the Siri Beach side of the estate (but not right a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 5 days in January as part of a mini Zanzibar tour. I'll start with the positives! On arrival we were impressed, the location was good, the views were great and the local staff (Karim especially) were really polite and helpful. Our room was clean and opened right out onto the beach. It really was lovely to open up the large double doors onto the beach front. Very relaxing!

Now for the negatives! On arrival we were told we were booked in on a half board basis, I didn't question this as I'd booked so long ago I could not remember myself. I agreed and clarified that our plan included breakfast and dinner. 4 days later one of the very polite waiters came to see us whilst we were eating breakfast and asked us to sign a $60 bill for dinner the night before. I told him we were half board and he apologised and left. A few moments later the manager, Tracy, arrived and told us THEY had made a mistake booking us in and we were in fact bed a breakfast. Tracy then went on to say we had to pay for the 3 nights of dinner we'd had, despite originally telling us these were free and then admitting THEY made the mistake. I found this very rude, especially as he'd clearly sent a poor waiter over to try and sneakily get us to sign the bill. I refused to pay for these explaining if I knew the price of the meals I would have gone into Stone Town for a much cheaper and nicer meal (which we did that night). He finally agreed with me and slid off. It was a shame as it tainted our stay, despite getting what we wanted we felt he shouldn't have tried it on in the first place and just dealt with the mistake they made themselves.

The price of the food and drinks is very expensive compared to most of the great restaurants in Stone Town. And although it's not bad the quality was the lowest we experienced in Zanzibar. So if you do stay and you're not half or full board then get a taxi into Stone Town for dinner. A taxi would cost about $40 and you can get a good meal for $30 (per couple). However like everything Fumba Beach Lodge you'll pay double the price so don't ask them to arrange taxis or trips. We used Uhuru Tours based in Stone Town for all our taxi and trips.

Another negative were the breakfasts. Again the quality was low, definitely not 4 star. Unless you arrived early the buffet was surrounded by insects despite being covered with cling film. You could order from the menu but again it didn't taste great.

The final negative was another manager issue unfortunately. Whilst being given tour the other manager told us the pool was cloudy but would be fixed by the end of the day. However it could still be used. This didn't bother me as despite my relatively negative review I'm not a fussy person! What bothered me was when I heard the same manager giving some new comers a tour the next day and saying exactly the same thing, that it would be fixed that night (again this did not happen). Honesty isn't obviously their strong point!

So to conclude, it was a lovely place to relax until the point we were annoyed by the manager. He was right by admitting fault but should have apologised and left us, not try and back date our bills!

We did enjoy our stay but would not return or recommend.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LukeBlake
ManagerFumba, General Manager at Fumba Beach Lodge, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
First we would like to thank you for your honest input, best things happen from them. We are also thankful for your comments about our staff and the absolute relaxation we have to offer. It is rather nice to be honest. And of course being a proud manager, I am very fond of how well our staff operates.
Now, I would like to apologize if you felt I was rude towards you in regards to the meal plan issue. Of course that was not my intention at all. But upon your request, we agreed that we would make the previous meals complimentary due to the fact it was our mistake. Although it was a terrible and unfortunate mistake on our part in which we cannot take back and am truly sorry, it did give us a chance to identify and build upon our accuracy issues from the beginning point so this will not happen in the future. If you would have been advised correctly from the beginning this would have not been an issue possibly.
In regards to the pool, I agree 100% if not 150% with you as I too was disappointed with the pool, probably more than you were. More frustrating from our part is we just installed a new and bigger pump to improve the pool efficiency. But being on an island we depend solely on imports for our chemicals, as well as many things and sometimes it can be a challenge. Our suppliers simply ran out of the correct chemicals we needed to fix the issue and neglected to inform us. But we did finally get some rushed in and our pool is back to its original beauty.
Overall Fumba Beach Lodge is filled with a lot of greatness, although there were negatives which can be or has been corrected, we do appreciate you also pointing out the positive sides as well.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone Town
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Chumbe Island Coral Park
Chumbe Island Coral Park
#6 of 167 in Zanzibar Island

Been to Fumba Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!