“Clean and Central in Stone Town”
Review of Karibu Inn

Karibu Inn
Karibu Inn
Ranked #24 of 32 Stone Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2013

The Karibu Inn was a centrally located guest house in Stone Town. I found it to be quite clean and comfortable. Nothing fancy but we did have an airconditioner which helped us sleep as it was humid.

We were also able to walk to and from the night food market.

A great place for a brief stopover in Stone Town.

Room Tip: If you have heavy bags try an avoid being on a high floor as the steps can get a bit hairy!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I spent one night here in August 2009, before I continued on to the beach.
I was traveling solo (I'm a female) and I wanted a place that was cheap but safe, where I had my own room and ensuite bathroom. This place was perfect for my needs. It was affordable, clean enough, and felt safe. There were mostly backpacker-type travelers staying there. The receptionist helped me arrange to ride on a bus to the beaches the following day.
This hotel has a good location in the heart of stonetown.
Overall, the room was very bare, nothing to write home about, but it was a good value and met my needs.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank offtracktraveler
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I stayed for three days in one of the dorm rooms for about $15 a night. It was great for the location, and considering how much other places in Stone Town can cost. The reception wasn't overly helpful, and did get pushy about offering tours, but overall I would probably return. The breakfast is basic, a fried egg/tost/fruit/juice/tea, but compared to other places i've stayed it's an improvement.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms get a bit more breeze.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2013

For a single night in Stone Town, the Karibu Inn was in a great location to be close to the Forodhani Gardens, restaurants, and all the small winding streets to find some lovely artwork, jewelry, and other souvenirs.

My room was one double or queen bed, with a fan, net, and private bathroom. All for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2012

There's much better in Stone Town in the same price range.
Reception staff was quite rude, we had to pay for using the safe (and if you leave 4 passports you pay 4 times); another one of us had to discuss to get his change after a payment.
Rooms were quite basic, corridors were full of signs forbidding almost everything
Their only assets is their really central position but there is no terrace (you have breakfast in the basement)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Karibu Inn has lots of basic rooms with ensuite and aircon, its inexpensive. There is a breakfast included in the price which was fruit and omelette. The receptionist (Said) is very helpful and friendly. The location is great for restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DitaMcP
Reviewed 11 May 2011

We showed up in Stone Town with no reservations. As we were sitting enjoying ice cream, trying to figure out what to do a man approached us. He told us to come to his hostel. At first we were very skeptical and sent two of the guys in our group to check it out. Turns out it was a great little find. The first night I shared a private room. Very basic, but the fans kept the room cool and the bathroom had hot water (this was my first hot shower in months after living in Africa- I couldn't have been more excited!) The second night I stayed in a six person dorm that was very basic, but very nice and very clean. The dorm however was quite hot and I woke up numerous times during the night sweating. The thing is Stone Town is HOT! I think anywhere we would have stayed would have been quite warm. The staff was amazing. The man at the front desk helped us book taxis up north and let us keep our luggage there even after we checked out. The location is perfect. It is right next to an ATM, a 2 minute walk from Livingston's and a 5 minute walk from Mercury's. It is clean, quiet and safe. Which is good enough for me.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends