“Fantastic place to stay”

and 1 more site!
Zanzibar Coffee House
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed a few nights in the coffee house before travelling to the beach. On return to Stone Town we stayed at the coffee house again for a couple of nights because we enjoyed it so much. I would normally try somewhere new so that says it all. The staff are extremely friendly - always greeting us and chatting with us - and they were always very helpful in the case of a problem or question. The night watchman is also very friendly and very concerned for the safety and security of the guests - often ensuring that our bags were carried in front of us and that we knew where we were going. Contrary to an older review we found the staff very open to bartering and we did get quite a lot of money off our room given that it was low season. This was honoured the second time we stayed as well. The room was very clean and comfortable and although our bathroom was separate it was very clean, spacious and beautifully decorated. The atmosphere is very relaxed. The breakfast (which is included in the cost of the room) is very good and there is a great view from the roof terrace where it is served. I strongly recommend the coffee house as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Excelsa is very nice and has twin beds which is ideal if you are travelling with a friend as we were...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rhona M

Reviewed 17 November 2013

What a great and friendly place run by a group of local ladies. Great coffee, fantastic rooms and the Whole place i special. Try the roof terrace for a good evening beer overlooking the city. You can hear the children singing from the Koran class. Magic.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NicolaiSchubart
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

So, we read reviews of this place and headed straight there after being dropped off by our taxi. Despite being completely out of the tourist season (we arrived on the 2nd November, the day after the low-season started), this hotel would clearly rather have an empty room than negotiate - even $10 lower. So, we turned, walked away and found a way-better hotel (read Emerson Spice) who were prepared to offer us a room at a negotiated price. So, I'd suggest give ZZB Coffee House a skip. Head straight to Emerson. This is Africa. I'm an African and we negotiate.

Strangely these people think we Westerners are stupid, and in some respects, we are certainly ignorant; but to tell us this is high season when, we'd looked up that 1 November is the start of a month-long low season time is taking us for fools!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zinkeldonk
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Service was warm and friendly and the coffee outstanding.
we tried carrot cake and banana choco crepes.
After chatting with the lady my other half wanted to go dress shopping, the woman was kind enough to take her to a local shop and help her with prices and language. Meanwhile I sat in the cafe with a cup of tea.

doesn't get much better than that if you ask me.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I guess anything looks great after 2 weeks of camping, but my gal friend and I had a great time at this hotel!

We booked the airport transfer with our travel agent (kind of pricey at USD15 but I wasn't sure what to expect so still worth it!) and arrived with no problems. Cars can't come in here, but you could pay a small tip for the guy with the wooden pushcart to follow with your luggage to the doorsteps after you parked nearby. Got brought up to our twin room (Moccachino) - thankfully on the next floor only - and we just loved it! The rooms are kept in very traditional style but the bathroom was very modern looking. Warm shower (seriously, after the trickle and lukewarm water we had in Arusha, this was heaven), strong ceiling fan and aircon for you to choose, bottled water, mozzie nets on the beds (we didn't need it) kept us happy! It is also very central, although one might get lost in the maze on the way to the waterfront!

The welcome drink was any drink off its cafe's menu, which I thought was awesome! And breakfast was free flow cereal/oatmeal, fruits, yoghurt, as well as 1 cooked breakfast (we opted for pancake and waffle for 2 of us) and coffee (including choice of lattes!). The views from the roof top was gorgeous! The breakfast was the best part of the stay, although it is a long and narrow way up. You could opt to sit outdoor or there are huge cushions in the room which looked really comfy.

Wifi works well in the room, although they had different passwords at different floors.

On the other hand, I did find it a little pricey (we paid USD140 for the ensuite twin room including breakfast, and USD15 for the airport transfer) but this could be just the rate for Zanzibar. The reception staff are not the most friendly (they were ok), so I took a star off my rating. Overall, I would still recommend this place!

Room Tip: It could be a tad noisy for the rooms facing the front (ours was the Moccachino room, where 1 of the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2013

There is little beauty, comfort, or ambiance outside the rooms. It was chaotic in the tiny lobby and no one ever really greeted me or made any effort to make me feel welcome. We moved a half block away, spent $25 dollars more, and found a different world in our new hotel. This hotel was simply much too expensive for what it provided.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajiiccharlie
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I can't really judge the quality of the rooms and food at this place, since my fiancee an I stayed at a different hotel in Stone Town, but, we would make a stop here every day to enjoy the coffee, tea and some traditional Swahili sweets. Definitely, make sure you visit this place when in Stone Town and don't miss their coffee, a spicy Zanzibar tea with ginger and cinnamon and the cookies.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple