“I received some of the best service in all my travels”

Golden Monkey Guest House
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I was going gorilla tracking in Uganda, but entering the country through Rwanda unlike most trackers. I needed a lot help organizing my gorilla permits and travel around Bwindi. Lucky for me I contacted Golden Monkey Guest House to make a booking and I found out that they also have an in-house tour company, Virunga Adventure Tours. Through communicating with Jackson on Facebook they helped me arrange everything, and once I arrived at the guest house everything was prepared for my tracking experience.

Martha at the front desk was a pleasure to work with, and the owner Sheba was the life of the party. The guest house was full of happy customers (some drop-ins were actually turned away because the hotel was fully booked) and Sheba spent the evenings socializing with us and other guests. I spent several weeks travelling around East Africa and the Golden Monkey Guest House stands out as one the places that invests the most into taking care of its guests. I can't imagine a better place in tiny Kisoro.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Panu P

Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

This place was a great stopover while travelling through. Stayed here 3 nights and the staff were great - even went out to the shops for me when I needed something. They also let us take over the music system in the bar and throw our own mini party! Cheap drinks and good food. Clean rooms, clean toilets and shower... What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank stephjm88
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Maybe my expectations were too high reading the reviews here but I was dissapointed by this place and even more by the staff.
We had a reservation for a triple and a twin room but got a double bed instead. They were conviced there was a couple among us.
The rooms were average and nothing special. The price was right, is the best thing I can say.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank gerritvanderlinden
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I did not stay in the accomodation here (but was told by guests that they were disappointed) but i have eaten here several times, both on this trip and previous ones. The food is very reasonable but its best to ask them not to salt anything otherwise you may be in for a salty surprise. It is not a posh eating place by any means but is fine for the price you pay. The staff are friendly but we always ordered the food in advance to make sure we did not have hrs to wait.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank otwayCambs
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I rolled into town from Rwanda and stayed at the local version of the Temple of Doom until I ran into a fellow mzungu who told me about this place. I immediately went over and checked in. The staff is great and they can set you up with whatever you want to do (recommend the Gorilla trekking, even though it's pricey). If you're there at the right time, they'll even fry up some grasshoppers!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank utpilot
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I came to kisoro to climb Mt Muhavura, where i stayed at the golden monkey for about five days. In doing so i met the staff and Mboni the dog and decided i rather liked the place. After spending three weeks in Rwanda and realizing it wasn't for me, i came back to Kisoro and stayed again at the golden monkey where I met good people who were staying there while researching the golden monkeys up in the national park. during the next three months i effectively moved in while playing for the local football team and the staff never missed a beat, treating all of us like family. Some of my best times traveling were at the guest house and i retuned in 2012, sadly to see most of the staff had moved on (and the prices had gone up!) but Molly, the manager is still going strong and there is no better place to stay in Kisoro (trust me, i've been in, slept and got drunk in all of them!)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kampala_Hoop
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed at the Golden Monkey on two separate occasions while passing through Kisoro. The owner/manager Molly and her staff are great. Very friendly and accommodating. The guesthouse itself is decent for the price I paid (Ush 25,000)...reasonably clean and comfortable. Food in the restaurant is good and reasonably priced. Plus, I can't forget the resident dogs "Blanket" and "Bunny" as well. Kisoro itself is nothing to write home about, but if you find yourself passing through The Golden Monkey is a good budget choice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo