“Uganda, Africa 2013 First of many stays”

Wagtail Eco Safari Camp
Reviewed 6 July 2013

May I first say thank you, thank you, thank you! Many great memories and moments created here at Wagtail Lodge. The staff are more like family after a 6 day stay and many tears were shed as we had to say good bye for a period of time.
I will be returning again and will be bringing my daughter with as well! The year 2015 cannot get here quick enough and I have already booked the same room/lodge I was in this year! "GEORGE" was my given name with my new found friends and as I will say more like family. The greeting, friendly atmosphere, and home coming was the best! Missing it all so very much. I highly recommend this amazing place! Looking forward to my next visit......and the next...and the next!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 62GinaLeigh

Reviewed 29 June 2013

the wagtail lodge is a great place to stay while in Rubuguri. the staff is very friendly and helpful. they were like family to us by the time we left. we stayed 6 nights. we had the tented room which was nice. will be returning for a visit in november and will be staying at wagtail again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2013

My 2 friends and I stayed here last year Dec. just before Christmas. Our lodging plan was inclusive of the 3 meals/day for the 2 days or our stay. We arrived late in the afternoon but it look like we were not expected yet we had booked over 2 months back.
It was about 40 minutes or so of waiting, a staff came to help us to find our rooms as the ones booked had been given to a different group. The arrangement was to have us in 2 rooms with private bathrooms but we received 1 room to share with the bathroom about 20 miters outside. We wired all our payment ahead of our stay but they claimed to have received the money.
Our tour operator had to for us again just to make us not to be very disappointed before trekking the next day. We had a snaky day and night since they were not prepared to have us.

The staff seemed to be great and friendly and the food was average but the management is not that you would trust with anything...and not very cooperative. Be careful with what the website says and those photos.... they have hot water, this is not real, though that was not critical, it had to very clear in our communication at the time of booking. They quoted $160/night/double...for something that looked like $70 was worth considering the service.

Until something is done, I would recommend future travelers to check on all the options in the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeeko T
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

This is an excellent place to stay for a base for trekking the gorillas at Bwindi. We arrived after a long ride all day to a warm reception with hot towels and tea. It is very remote so my sisters and I could not believe that there were hot showers and electricity. We shared a large permanent tent with wooden floors, 3 beds and a separate, connected bathroom. There are also lodge-type cabins as well and a beautiful courtyard. Yes, the hot water bottles in the beds and fresh flowers were a lovely touch! Dinners and breakfast were excellent, but the standout is the service. Wes was our waiter for every meal and he was just fabulous. I would absolutely recommend Wagtail for a place to stay for gorilla trekking.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank durham2012
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Pleasant place with a good location for trekking to see gorillas in bwindi (nkuringo). The staff were very friendly and the rooms were surprisingly plush considering the location. Putting hot water bottles in the bed whilst we were at dinner was a nice touch. We would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sarahkg01
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Lovely locations exist all over the world, and yes Wagtail has gone to great measures to retain the natural foilage, the rooms are rustic and very clean in a tranquil setting, but it is the staff that stands out the most here!
We were greeted with warm cloths to wipe the dust from driving ALL day. Meals were great and they seemed to go above and beyond to be sure we were pleased. After a full day of Gorilla tracking our clothes were ruined, filthy, and wet. My white shirt was black! We figured we would get them laundered anyway . They came back to me the next day spotless!!! I was amazed.
Another plus; They truly have the BEST coffee I had in Uganda. I never understand why so many places serve instant when Uganda is one of the worlds leading growers of coffee. Wagtail uses fresh coffee from the mountains of Uganda. As I raved about the coffee each morning they finally showed me exactly how they prepare it. Forget the fancy coffee makers let them show you their simple secret to the best coffee ever!!

Lovely place. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DSaudi2Africa
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Wagtail Eco Safari Camp is located in the small town of Rubuguri. You can trek the mountain gorillas in this area. This area is working hard to get more tourist to come . The People at Wagtail are wonderful and make sure you are well taken care of. The lodge is very clean with good food. It sits right in the small town so you can take a village walk, nature walk etc. The people in the town are very friendly.

Room Tip: email the lodge