“Natural Feel on Kazinga Channel”

Queen Elizabeth Bush Lodge
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The location of QE Bush Lodge is excellent- right on Kazinga Channel which apparently has the highest concentration of hippos in all of Africa. Cabins are very natural and have practical simplicity (while maintaining comfort) and “bush” feel. The outdoor shower/sink area is a real highlight! You feel like you are in a rock garden and get to shower under the stars at night. Dinner under the night sky encircling a campfire is also great for ambiance- our 2nd night was rained out due to a storm, but even nature’s entertainment provided a unique dinner experience (we were moved to indoor tented dining area).
We spent one whole day just resting from safari and letting the surrounding nature seep into us instead of rushing around in a safari jeep- a much needed respite (and I could do yoga on the front porch facing pairs of African fish eagles and other birds flying by, such as courting male pin-tailed whydahs). I’m so happy the sound of hippos munching on grass in the middle of the night woke my husband up! As a result, we all watched these huge animals noisily eating next to our cabin under the full moonlight, half asleep, rubbing our eyes as if it were a dream. It was magical (and repeated the 2nd night)!
The only suggestion I have is to have a cabin room arrangement with 1 full (or queen) bed for a couple and single (twin) for child. My husband, daughter and I had 3 single (twin) beds but we make it work, no problem. Also, I would recommend more sand be provided for the compost toilet because we ran out.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DreamOcean

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Beautiful location, nice staff, but I didn't fully enjoy my time there.

When we were there, the camp was fully booked. There was only one table left in the outdoor restaurant, situated next to a tree with a very loud bug in it. I usually love nature sounds, but this bug (cricket?) was so loud that it made conversation difficult and our head hurt.

We didn't get to see any hippos, but at night we heard a lot of them and we saw their footprints around our tents, which was a unique experience.

Unfortunately, I did not sleep at all. Tiny ants had taken over my bed and were biting me throughout the night. My friends didn't have this problem, so I guess I was just unlucky.

In the morning, one of the staff called a guide who would meet us at the entrance of the park. The man never showed up, so we had to look for someone else.

All in all, it was not a great experience for me personally, but I recognize that the Bush Lodge has great potential and most people really enjoy their stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sara V
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The setting was great! Food was very good too and client was able to discuss food requirements with the chef. It was lovely to dine outdoors, on the banks of the Kazinga Channel. We could hear hippos all day long and I could see buffalo at times from my room. The toilets are eco so you need to shovel dirt into the toilet after each use. I have to ask though, what is the reason for having an outdoor shower with only little bamboo sticks for privacy? A person has to be pretty comfortable with strangers seeing them naked to get out there and actually enjoy a shower. The bamboo sticks afford no privacy – I saw people showering as I am sure that the workers do regularly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed at the Bush Lodge for two nights with two friends in April. We had a three-bed s/c raised tent with an outdoor shower. It was fantastic. We could sit on our front deck between morning and afternoon game drives and watch the hippos in the Kazinga Channel while we read our books. The meals were fantastic (well the packed lunch was fine but everything on site was great) including vegetarian options. The only problem was that the water in the shower ran out mid-shower at one point but that was resolved within about 10 minutes of notifying the staff. A request for an additional chair out front was similarly dealt with immediately. Everything felt like what I would have expected from a place with much higher prices. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2014

A beautiful location on the water with lovely spotless tents overlooking the water. You can see the moon out of your tent door. Excellent staff who watched out for our safety all night. Rustic with a walk to the bathrooms and some difficulties with the shower etc but just beautiful camping type experience. The tents are tiny and quite squashed for two but it is as it says a bush lodge

Room Tip: the tents are lovely if a bit tiny but it is a bush lodge as it says
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We spent a very pleasant two nights at the Queen Elizabeth Bush Lodge during our trip to Uganda. The tents are very comfortable, and the food was great. The location above an inlet of Kazinga Channel can't be beat, and it was delightful to see and hear the hippos in the water. I woke up at 5:30 one morning to see a cape buffalo walking right in front of my tent! As usual, though, the real pleasure in staying here was being in the company of such a welcoming and attentive staff, who made sure we were well taken-care of for the duration of the stay. The location is ideal for game drives in this part of QENP, as well as reaching the launch for the Kazinga Channel boat ride. We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Great place to stay for couples and families. Incredible tents in the middle of the bush in the savanna where you can listen to (and sometimes see) the wild life all around. The staff was especially friendly and the rooms were always kept clean. Great food too! Definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple