Mweya Safari Lodge
Hotel Ruch(Kampala)
US$78
US$70
Jumia Travel
All reviewsboat tripkazinga channellake edwardceiling fanwater buffalostandard roomgame drivesown vehiclecape buffalonice poolstunning locationbuffet styletwo nightsreception areaswimming pooloverlooking the lakeweaver birds
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very nice place to stay, overlooking the Kazinga channel. It is a bit far from the main road (45min) compared to other lodges, but you are in the middle of the national park and have a very nice view. Rooms are nicely decorated and very comfortable, each with a little terrace to overlook the channel. The food is okay, could use some improvement. The best dish we ate was the Ugandan delight.

Overall this is a well managed hotel, and you can rely on getting your value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelchiki
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Mweya Lodge overlooks the Kazinga Channel. Can be reached by charter flight if you don't want a long haul by 4x4. Very good food and excellent staff. Comfortable room overlooking the channel. Nice gardens. Good birding area. Boat cruise on the channel is worthwhile. Saw leopard here, only guests to do so. Wi-Fi. Pool.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is nicely kept. We stayed in room 20 which you could see the animals along the channel. The rooms are well sized. The problem with this hotel is the water quality or lack there of.... The water was green when I tried to take a shower. I called the front desk and they said they would check on it and I hear nothing more. Ordering off the lunch menu food was okay, dinner buffet was not so great. At check we mentioned the water and no explanation.
From overhearing conversations from other guests they had similar issues.
Too bad because they do have a lovely place. Nice gift shop but over priced.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I recently traveled from Bwindi National Park to Queen Elizabeth National Park and stayed at Mweya Safari Lodge for two nights. Our room was located overlooking the Kazinga Channel, where we woke up to elephants and water buffalo drinking outside our balcony. We also observed a huge family of mongooses (mongeese?) frolicking outside our balcony. They even permitted some really nice close-up shots. While Mweya is certainly a luxury safari lodge with all the amenities, including a spa (my wife enjoyed her facial), television room, gym, bar, fire pit, and free WiFi (but not in the rooms), we do have a few complaints. First, the staff were not as friendly as we were expecting from our experiences at other lodges. For example, I had to work really hard to get our waitress even to smile. Second, a previous lodger had tracked thorns into our room, which meant that we could not walk around in our bare feet or even socks for the duration of our stay. And room service did nothing to remove them. Third, I had asked the staff whether they could arrange for any evening entertainment. "Of course," they replied, but no entertainment was forthcoming. Fourth, I had ordered water with one of my meals. When the waiter returned with a bottle of water (unopened), I told him I no longer wanted it because I did not want to be charged. The waiter then called his supervisor, who explained that, inexplicably, they could not take the charge off my hotel bill, which I found odd. I left the water on the table, still unopened.

The food was outstanding, served buffet style, with many choices, both traditional and Western. Desserts are seldom of high quality in Africa (I have also traveled to Tanzania, Kenya, and South Africa), but Mweya's desserts were delicious. I had asked for some ice cream, which was located in an ice cream case in full view of the patio, where we ate our meals; oddly, I was told that the only staff member with a key to this case had gone home for the evening. The staff, however, did find some ice cream for me in the kitchen, which I appreciated.

From Mweya Safari Lodge, we took a two-hour boat cruise down the Kazinga Channel and saw hippopotamus, water buffalo, crocodile, elephant, and a variety of birds, which our knowledgeable park ranger pointed out to us. We also saw the ears of two lions sticking up over the cliff in the distance. We also took a couple of game drives, where we spotted plenty of elephants and water buffalo but no lions or leopards. If you want to see a wide variety of animals in a short period of time, you're better off going to the Maasai Mara Reserve in Kenya or Kruger National Park in South Africa. We weren't that impressed with our two game drives for big game, but bird watchers will not be disappointed.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Mweya Safari Lodge, but their reputation exceeded our own personal experience of two nights. We prefer a smaller lodge with more personalized attention such as Clouds in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.

Room Tip: There are cottages right along the Kazinga Channel close to the water, but I don't know how much they cost.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our group of 21 stayed here for two nights after spending a week at a rural secondary school, so this was like walking into luxury. It is gated with a couple guards in different locations and I never felt unsafe. The lodge welcomed us with wet towels and cups of juice. The towels weren't warm, but it was still nice to refresh hands and face after a very long bus ride. The view from the lodge lobby is beautiful and it has wi-fi (which was not always accessible) and lots of comfortable seating space. The staff members were all very helpful and friendly. A health club (spa/gym) is on site, as well as an interior gift shop and an exterior craft gazebo.

You can walk out on to the lawn at the back and look out on Kazingi Channel and one of the lakes. A fire pit sits off to one side and we were entertained by dancers the first night. They danced for hours, well into the night - quite dramatic with the fire crackling and blazing nearby. At one point they invited us to dance. (One woman joined them and then a dancer requested payment.)

An outside open (but covered) walkway leads from the lobby/yard to the bar and restaurant with plenty of seating along the way. There is ample seating inside as well, but the view outside is beautiful, especially at sunset.

All of our meals (excluding beverages) were included in the price. Though a menu was available, I believe everyone took advantage of the all-you-can-eat buffets. The wait staff was helpful and pleasant and the buffets offered a lot of variety. For example, on the first night there was a pasta buffet (with chef right there to prepare the selected ingredients), meat buffet, salad buffet and dessert buffet. A pizza buffet took the place of the pasta buffet on the second night.

The en suite rooms were grouped together in separate buildings, with eight to ten (?) double occupancy bungalows in each building. Because of the odd number of our group, a 3rd bed was added to one of the rooms, for an additional charge. Our bathroom, though not sparkling, was clean and well-apportioned. Mosquito curtains took the place of hanging mosquito nets and each bungalow had an outdoor patio with table and two chairs. The lodge is on the point of an elevated peninsula and I think every room's back porch has a view of the lake or channel. There was plenty of hot water, light switches by the beds so you could stay in bed and flip off the lights, and each room has a safe and a blow dryer. The power went out once for a brief period. (In our rural area it went out often for long periods.)

Mongoose live on site and they are as frisky, curious and playful as squirrels. Though they don't seem to be pets, plenty of people were petting and photographing them.

The staff live in a separate section. Our group included 2 priests and since we visited on a weekend, we used the staff chapel for Mass, and interested staff members joined us. It was a great experience as the staff members provided the music.

We took advantage of two morning safaris and one afternoon boat safari. We used our bus for the bush safaris and their ranger joined us. She provided a lot of information and was able to answer all of our questions. We saw a lot of wildlife including male (1 on second morning) and female (2 on first morning) lions, elephants, kob, warthogs, water buffalo hippos, crocodiles and lots of birds. We were treated to a gorgeous sunrise on the second morning, but had overcast sky on the first.

World Cup was going on and there was a room with a TV in the lodge so some soccer fans took advantage of that.

Our group had a great experience at Mweya Safari Lodge.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends