“Best Place in Mirepoix by a Mile”
Review of L'autre Jardin

L'autre Jardin
Ranked #2 of 31 Restaurants in Mirepoix
Price range: US$17 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

What a lovely spot to stumble across in SW France. After more than a few disappointing meals in restaurants in France, lovely to come across a place that is good value and provides excellent cooking, beautifully prepared and presented. After having the set menu for lunch, went back for dinner the next night.
The menu is limited (3 choices in the day, 8 at night), but clearly that is the way they ensure that the food is locally sourced, absolutely fresh and cooked for you.
Highly recommended.

2  Thank London396

Reviewed 9 July 2014

It is just great simple food done really well, great atmosphere and the décor is lovely. We went as a big group and shared a selection of starters which were all delicious. I then had the pork areignee which was simply delicious. If I am in Mirepoix again I will definitely come back.

1  Thank LAURAHA72
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Our hotel had booked us a table and had spoken to the Chief about having Vegetarian options over 2 hours before hand, we had been assured this wasn't a problem and they could put something together. Unfortunately on arriving we were only given a set menu with only a goats cheese salad suitable, two late now to look elsewhere my girlfriend ordered this with chips only for it to arrive with large pieces of ham all over it. Fortunately my girlfriend would still eat the salad with he meat removed. I had the set meal which was OK, but nothing special.
They really need to do better.

1  Thank stevew74
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have already reviewed this super restaurant before, but as I have visited it several times again this Spring and never been disappointed I feel another entry here is justified.

The quality has been maintained but two welcome new additions are the fixed price menus (before there was only the à la carte choice). Now there is a 24€ menu and another at 14€ for two courses or 15€ with dessert. This is the one I want to write about as it represents superb value for money in a town where the rather touristy cafés in the centre can easily cost you much more.

Yesterday I had tapas as a starter: mountain ham on bruschetta rubbed with tomato and garlic, marinated anchovies with basil and a bowl of tiny clams. To follow there was a duet of cod and salmon fillets baked in foil with lemon and basil on a base of red peppers and courgettes , making a delicious home-made version of ratatouille. The pudding was a chocolate 'fondant' with a genuinely melting centre, not the dry solid sort that is too often the sign of something bought in.
All this for 15€. Portions are not huge but sufficient and the whole meal is well balanced and harmonious.
This menu changes daily and is available at lunchtime on Monday Tuesday and Friday, although Monday tends to be very busy as it is market day.

3  Thank Brian S
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We ate here for the second time and were as impressed as much as on our first visit. Excellent meal with efficient and friendly service. Food was all cooked to perfection. We will definitely return again.

3  Thank Greg P