“Not just great food”

Price range: US$28 - US$71
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Owner Rogier van den Biggelaar is also the Chef for the ‘Ciel d’Or’ restaurant and proposes a ‘Dégustation Unique’ formula : 5 courses freshly prepared and consisting of seasonal produce as well as local specialties with his own quirky version of each. He personally introduces his choices to his guests and comes up with the appropriate wines from his excellent wine cellar.
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We have eaten at this restaurant many times and now that the co-owner Roger is in the kitchen it's turning out some of the best food I've eaten in France. Inside the setting is really lovely. Outside is a bit industrial but you only eat outside if the sun is shining so probably won't notice. This visit we had the set lunch menu; there is no choice but for non red meat eaters they will usually find an alternative - I suggest you check what's on before you eat. Also it can get busy at certain times of the year so it's worth booking. The set lunch is 20 euros and we had a pork main and a trio of puds: raspberry smoothy, tiramasu and a pana cotta. You also get a selection of breads with different butters and oil, a coffee and a glass of wine. The pork was beautifully cooked and impeccable sourced. The desert was excellent and any of the three puds would have been enough on it's own.

Of an evening there is a four course menu for 55 euros. For the quality of food this is very good value. My only reservation is the price of the wines.

1  Thank harveyharvey

Reviewed 17 September 2012

The service was really great and very attentive, the chef came out to say hello and talk about the food, food and wine was super. If you're ever in Mirepoix you should give it a go! You have to book in advance, I think.

1  Thank Epipremnum A
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We were staying for a few days at the hotel Relais Royal attached to this restaurant. Having eaten the set menu the chef suggested something different for the following evening.

Trust this chef - he knows what he's doing.

Foie gras, pan fried with local cherries and apricots.
Pigeon, breasts pan fired, the thighs cooked in tarragon butter, spinach and hazel nuts, braised leek.
A brandy snap basket containing the freshest of fruit salads marinaded in an spiced orange sauce.
Matched wines for the courses.
It was perfect. All the other diners were eating from the set menu - and I had not one shred of menu envy, just total satisfaction.
I had eaten the month before in le Gavroche in London - this meal outclassed it in every sense and was 40 euros a head.
Unbeatable!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I should start my saying I am veggie so a degustation menu in France is never usually an option! Here it was - even the amuse bouche for me were veggie. I should say we did give notice so suggest you don't turn up on the night expecting the same !

We sat on the terrace and enjoyed all the courses - the waitress explained them all to us as she served and they were great. hubby is not veggie and he loved his menu too.

Thoroughly recommended,

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I am always impressed by the effort that go into preparing and presenting beautiful food. We were staying at the Relais Royal and decided to eat at their lovely patio restaurant. We were no disappointed. Each course was matched with a carefully chosen wine which enhanced the food. From the lovely Amuse-Bouche, the home made rolls, a trilogy of beautiful appetizers, a small fish course of calamari stuffed with tomato, eggplant and leek on a bed of braised fennel served with a white wine foam I knew we were in gourmet heaven! Each course was small and beautifully presented and there was enough time between courses to relax and enjoy the wine. The main course was perfectly poached veal, garnished with a small potato topped with a carrot puree and tiny mushrooms. The cheese course was served with a fig and walnut jam and set the palate for a lovely dessert of roasted fresh peach, with a little almond cake and an ice cream made with almonds and rosewater. Service was impeccable, the food superb and the ambiance delightful.