“Not as advertised”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
Admiral Peabody's Lakeside Lodging
Oak Island, North Carolina
“Not as advertised”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We traveled over 700 miles to find our "Lakeside Cottage" not a cottage and 4 flights of steps to beach, across the street to a salt factory and railroad tracks. Came baack from site seeing to find host and dog and a man in our room.....Would not recommend this to my worst enemy...Definitly not as advertised....

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank MamaBytheSea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
ohio
Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights this past week (end of June 2012). Two couples stayed in a two bedroom cabin. The cabin was spotless. Olga was wonderful. I called at least twice before we went to check on various things (bed sizes, d they have wifi, etc.) and she was always friendly and patient. When we were there, she stopped by each morning while we were having coffee on our deck and answered questions about the area, got us maps, gave us directions and recommended restaurants. I have never had that level of unasked for helpfulness outside of a B&B. Our deck had multiple chairs and tables. The lawn in front had a gas grill for our unit, and more chairs under a shady tree. Drinking coffee each morning while looking at the lake was great.
I do have a couple of cautions. The cabin is very small for four people to inhabit. It was fine for us, as we were seldom there and the outside space was so nice, but if you want to be inside for much of the time, you will be cramped. Also, the property is on a road that has more traffic than one would think. Lots of trucks go by. We were in the bedroom closest to the road, and slept with the window open. If you are a light sleeper, this could be a problem. I woke up the first night at 5:30 a.m. and between all the traffic and wondering why there would be so much traffic at that hour, it took awhile for
me to get back to sleep. The other nights I slept fine, however (and I'm sure the wineries we visited each afternoon had nothing to do with that!).

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank karla79
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2012

cute and cozy..this lodging facility has been embedded in my mine since my husband and I visited there 5yrs ago...the room was tiny and very quaint with all the fixings--frig.tv.air.microwave.heater.bistro table.flashlight.storgage..all compacted into a cozy setting. I just mentioned to my husband today "let's take a trip to watkins glen" hopefully in July or August
a cabin will be available for us...really loved it...very inspirational for me that I decorated my own
small home into a cozy cabin funky flavor !!!!! Thanks Olga
Nora from the electric complany - remember ? :)

Room Tip: my tip would be .... "don t pass this one up"
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nora J
west. pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We have stayed here on our last 4 trips to wine country.(after staying at several others previously) Perfect location with lake views, a pleasant stroll to town, and a nice dock from which to swim>>CHILLY<< the lake is 600' deep. A very nice wake-up call before or after wining. Stayed in the Love Shack and Stabbin Cabin. Both are cozy small, nice decor, and very clean and decks with view.
Olga and Jeff are fantastic folks who are very attentive to your needs but give you space. Great personalities if you take the time to meet them. 2 examples. On a busy race weekend, after drawing us a map, Jeff led us and other couples on a roundabout thru the countryside so that we would miss all the traffic. It was a shortcut that Mad Max would have been proud of.
Another time, Olga and Jeff were hosting personal friends and invited us to the campfire to share stories, wine etc.
I find it hard to believe some of these reviewers' stories,based on our experiences, but everyone has different needs & expectations. (I was self employed at one time and there were occasions where I fired the client before they fired me!) I will tell you that there are always returning patrons when we've been there.
Anyway, we're scheduling a small reunion there for next summer. We think it will be the perfect place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank uptobat
Rome, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The lodging was very excellent !!! Just bring your toothbrush. Everything that is needed for a stay is supplied. Just bring your toothbrush.
Olga also was a excellent host with suggestions in the area. Me and my wife could not have had a better stay anywhere!!
While sitting on the deck at (love Shack) we made a new kitty friend to boot. The deck on the water has all any body would need for the outing. Enjoyment is the word for Admiral Peabody's.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin60817
New York
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We were last in the area 5 years ago and first stayed at Adm. Peabody's then. We were thrilled to make another visit with our Boston Terrier, and we again loved our small cabin, equipped with microwave, fridge, coffee, tea and coffee-maker, neat, clean towels and even a special wash-cloth provided to clean off make-up -- which my wife appreciated as "a European touch". Unlike Bkartteacher, we found the place totally pet-friendly, then and now, and also unlike her, we were thrilled when Olga was able to tell us where to find the best martini in town. The next day we were off to tour wineries, anyway, so Friday night's martini was the perfect aperitif. Although I'm sympathetic to Bkartteacher's dogs for having been cooped up in a car for six hours (as was our little guy), I think some sympathy is also due the other guests, who might not want to hear her dogs barking continuously when left alone. The place is very pet-friendly, and I'm lucky that my little guy is not normally a barker; but really, a pet owner has to take responsibility for the pet's effect on the other guests. And when I hear complaints about *both* carpenter ants and fumigation, I have to ask, "What is your alternative?" You're in the country, kids. Well, enough negativity. We love the place and will come back. We chatted with some of the other folks staying there at the same time and they were all repeat customers, so, dear reader, that oughta tell you something.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hopfrog
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Me, my boyfriend and our two small dogs were really excited to leave the city (Brooklyn) for our ONLY summer vacation. We can't really get away too often and thought the price and location looked fair. We were excited to enjoy Farm Sanctuary and the wineries around the lake and to just relax in a quiet lakeside spot. Long story short, we arrived and were setting up our cozy cabin when my boyfriend starting noticing giant ants with wings inside. He smashed about a dozen before I saw a few and freaked out. The owners, Olga & Jeff had just arrived home from dinner when we decided we were uncomfortable staying there and advised them of the problem. Immediately they insisted we stay in the other cabin (a "major" upgrade according to Olga who's breath smelled like a distillery) because they'd been having problems with carpenter ants and they ensured us they'd take care of it. Before we knew what was going on Jeff and she dragged our stuff down to another cabin so they could fumigate the next morning. While our stuff was being moved I learned that we would only be staying in the new place one night, meaning we'd have to move back to our fumigated cabin the next day. I was very upset because while I realize these things happen, I didn't like having to shift our stuff around since vacation is supposed to be relaxing and this was anything but that, not to mention that we'd be breathing in chemical fumes. They also promised to help us move stuff back the next day, but both of them were so drunk it just made the situation even more bizarre.

To top things off, the following morning, Jeff told us that we wouldn't be allowed to leave our dogs next time we wanted to leave the "compound" because they barked while we were at dinner the night before. In all fairness, the dogs had just traveled 6 hours and had been in 2 different houses (the 2nd one was next to another cabin and the dogs could hear them outside so of course they were anxious). This notice put a major wrench in our plans since we wanted to go to Farm Sanctuary, wineries and dinners and obviously couldn't take the dogs to those places.

I read the review about the person who was charged for their stay even though Olga canceled part of it first and I have to say I'm not surprised (they also conveniently forgot to help us schlep our stuff back up to our first cabin). It seems as though they drink their way through the summer and it's almost a shock that things were so neat and clean. Overall, it just made me sad that we spent our money and time not relaxing at all, but being anxious. I mean, they didn't even cut us a break on the night of inconvenience that we endured and the time we wasted. After having to rent a car (which isn't cheap) and driving into this situation I would never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple