“regular motel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 17 Watkins Glen B&B and Inns
Tel Aviv, Israel
“regular motel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

This motel is very regular, not cheap for my opinion, breakfast include, but there is only cafe with cakes ,not far from Watkins Glen Park

Room Tip: big room with good beds and facilities
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bora_bora_11

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

I'm going to try to be generous by starting with the best things I have to say: The bed was reasonably comfortable. And I always check around beds for signs of bugs, and I saw no signs of them. That's important to me.

Beyond that...our room was *tiny* -- very little room for our luggage and no closet or even rod to hang clothes on. For that matter, no hangers. I assume I could have gotten an iron from the front desk, but adding an ironing board to that room would have been insane, and luckily I was able to get out the wrinkles by hanging my dress (on a hanger I'd brought) in the bathroom while showering.

The room, as I mentioned in the title, smelled strongly of mildew. When the door of the room next door opened or closed, the headboard of the bed sort of shuddered. One of the towels was dirty. Not that it had an old stain that just hadn't come out when it was being washed -- there was something stuck to the surface of the towel.

We were there for two nights, and housekeeping didn't come. Or, maybe it did, if this counts: the first morning, someone knocked while we were still asleep. I opened the door a crack and it was the person who'd been at the front desk when I checked in. He asked if we needed anything, and I said "not right now." That was not intended to mean "we don't want our room cleaned at any point today" and in fact he never said he was there to clean, so I'm really not sure. We were out for much of the day after that, so it's not like they would've had no chance to clean.

And the place was not cheap. I mean, it wasn't outrageous for a motel (and it is a motel, even if it calls itself an inn) in a place with tourism, but it was outrageous for what it was. I've definitely had better rooms in equivalently-touristed places for less money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Laura C

Travellers are raving about these Watkins Glen hotels

Rutherford, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

small but comfortable and very clean. best value in the area. fresh coffee or tea in the morning and with your savings you could go down the road to chef's diner for a great breakfast. would stay there anytime

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank garry051
Watkins Glen, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

We found this place on internet and decided to try it. We are glad we did. Rooms were very clean and staff was wonderful. Able to answer any question or locate answer if they were not sure. Would definately stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2010
Harrisburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

We were in Watkins Glen for a party at one of the Seneca Lake wineries. There was a lot going on this particular weekend and we could only find a room at this hotel as other places were booked. It is small, but very conveniently located. They are in the process of renovating, but our room had already been redone. It had new furniture and was clean. It is small, but it was a good place to stay and the price was nice. The lady at the front desk was very friendly. We had no problems and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PABucsFan
Ontario Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

Seneca Clipper Inn now gets a -5 stars (minus5)
be very careful of your reservation. after staying at same place for 20 years, they wanted to give our room to a race team, and then put the rate up an extra 50%!!!!!!!!!!
They also did away with the garden in center of lot to allow for more parking. This took away from the hominess/ambience of the motel.
We found another hotel on the lake with a proper continental breakfast with real toast/bagels/cerals/juice instead of that prepakaged stuff they called danish and coffee with powdered creamer.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travellers297
Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2008

Saw this on the web, pictures looked average and we're only staying one night in Watkins Glen, so why not? We got there, we had two rooms and here's where it all began. There are 14 rooms, half of the motel is old and the other half has been recently built. The new addition was actually not bad. It still had a nice new smell. The OLD part, which my wife and I stayed in (room #1) was not so good. It has wood paneling, musty smell and there was a huge spider on the roof before bed - kind of gross!

The room was apparently cleaned in the afternoon but there was a nice long hair on our sheets and some nice 'mystery stains!'

I didn't complain one bit because I thought, what's the point, we're there for less then 10 hours. I wouldn't stay there again! There's a budget inn accross the street that looked nice!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Hearing all the cars drive by at all hours, the musty smell, the nice complimentary breakfast (muffins in plastic baggies)
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
#7 of 17 in Watkins Glen
Colonial Inn & Motel
Colonial Inn & Motel
#9 of 17 in Watkins Glen

Been to Seneca Clipper Inn? Share your experiences!