“terrible food”
Review of Castel Grisch

Castel Grisch
Ranked #13 of 21 things to do in Watkins Glen
More attraction details
Owner description: This vineyard restaurant is located in the Finger Lakes wine-producing region of New York.
Ithaca, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“terrible food”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This was by far the worst dining experience my husband and I ever had together. The food was truly terrible! Both of us are very familiar and fond of central European cuisine (I was born and raised in central Europe), so our opinion is not a reaction to what some North Americans perceive as the blandness of traditional dishes from that region - for instance, we enjoyed Dano's Heuriger on Seneca Lake. That said, we found that the majority of the food at Castel Grisch had an extremely strange and disagreeable flavor to it. When I tried their warm potato side, for instance, I felt instant revulsion; it tasted OFF, as though it were food that had gone bad and then had sugar added to it. My husband had a similar experience with most of the dishes from their buffet: a taste of rotten sweetness. My main was an overcooked duck covered with an artificial tasting orange sauce, which I'm convinced came from a can, the cheapest kind at that. The wine was so bad, it did not even taste like wine (soap?). We were seated on the cheapest type of plastic patio chairs, since we opted to sit outside - the interior looked like a dismal cafeteria in which "German" elevator music was on a loop, streaming from a horribly cheap sounding portable player. Our awful experience cost us over $70 - neither of us had dessert and only one of us had wine. The only positive aspects were the nice waitress and the moderately pleasant view from the patio. Overall, I strongly advise against this place with its terrible, overpriced food.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Marta B

Jermyn, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“restaurant.com certificate don't do there”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The waitress put the 18 percent tip based on the TAXES... Was expensive. Will not have that waitress do that again. We would rather not use restaurant.com w waitresses who overtip the customers

Visited July 2013
1 Thank joaniebJermynPa
Gettysburg
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

One of our stops on the wine tour. Excellent selections of wine. I believe it was one of the wineries I spent most money. So many great wines I couldn't make my mind up!

Visited February 2012
Walden, NY
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great Wine”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Very nice tasting their wines...bought the Reisling and Tammiante...great white wines at a very good price.

Visited September 2012
Duncannon, PA
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Food was a disappointment”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I had just returned from a trip to Germany/Austria, so needless to say, we were anxious to have dinner at Castel Grisch. It was such a disappointment....and an expensive disappointment at that. The food was overcooked, lacked any flavor, and was just not good. The view from the deck was very romantic...if you're just there to drink, it's lovely...but I wouldn't suggest eating there...too expensive and just not very good.

Visited October 2011