“Absolutely Stunning state park!”

Watkins Glen State Park
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
2-Day Niagara Falls Tour from New York by Bus
More attraction details
Owner description: The cascades of 18 waterfalls are the calling card of this state park.
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The trail along the Watkins Glen State Park is absolutely wonderful. We started at the topmost point of the trail and climbed down so it was easy and my kids (ages 6 and 9 at the time) enjoyed it as well. The views are breathtaking. I highly recommend stopping here if you are in the finger lakes area.

2  Thank mud2010
Write a ReviewReviews (3,529)
All reviews
in 36 reviews
"beautiful scenery"
in 72 reviews

Reviewed 8 May 2011

My partner and I took a day trip to Watkin's Glen from Oswego. The two hour trip is a nice day trip through the Finger Lakes Region.

We arrived and payed our fee which seemed reasonable. The attendent looked in the back seat and said, "Oh, you have a dog..." I asked her if this would be a problem and she explained that dogs were not allowed on the main trail but that we could take our dog on the upper trail. As a tourist I had no idea what this meant, but assumed the upper trail had interesting things to look at.

We parked our car and started the walk. There was a big sign saying NO DOGS, but absolutely no way to get to the trails the girl had pointed out. Trying to follow the directions the girl gave us, we were abruptly screamed at by a worker. "DIDN'T YOU READ THE SIGN!? THERE ARE NO DOGS!" Quite startled and a bit embarrased as we were surrounded by other tourists who all stared at us, I tried to go over to him to ask him how to get to the trails. He turned around and said "Can't you read the signs!? There are NO DOGS ALLOWED!!" and turned away muttering under his breath.

I walked all the way back to the front entrance, quite embarrased and waited while the one attendent greeted cars and sold tickets. When she got a break I explained my sitution to her, explained that we were yelled at and she replied "Oh... I didn't think he would see you. You can't park here." She then explained that we had to move our car to the South entrance which was a mile or so away.

At this point I should have asked for a refund as I was quite upset that she hadn't told me this in the first place, that one of the park's employees yelled at a confused tourist from out of state, and that we had driven 2 hours after reading online that this was a dog friendly park.

The park's formations are beautiful. However, if you have a dog, bring a friend, because he will have to walk the dog on the trail above the gorge that has very little value other than a snake and a cemetary. We switched off, but running through the park was horrible.

This park is not pet friendly. They should state all together that dogs are not allowed inside the park. We will not be returning, even though the gorge is spectacular because of the terrible treatment we received. I have yet to feel as embarrassed in all my travels as I was at this facility.

78  Thank cvillevatourist
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Climbing to the top of this gorge was an incredible experience! There are 800 actual steps, straight up, so this climb is not for the person who is not in good shape. That being said,even if you can't make it to the top, its still worth it to walk part of the way to see the beautiful waterfalls and rock formations. You even get to walk under two (!) waterfalls. My husband and I were in absolute awe the entire climb. I would do it again in a minute! The park closes mid-November for the winter, so you'll have to wait to experience this natural wonder in the spring.

3  Thank AnnetteGreenwich_Ct
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Watkins Glen Gorge Trail is just amazingly beautiful. Around each turn is a different view both backward and forward looking at one of the 19 waterfalls. My wife and I wakled the path on Oct. 21, 2010 and the experience was just wonderful. The $ 8.00 entrance parking fee is well worth the only cost we paid to see such a wonder of nature! There are lots of steps along the path but almost anyone could make the hike with all the stops one would make for pictures. We plan to go again in the spring around the end of May.
The trail is colsed early November to mid May. We drove 6 hours to hike the trail and it was well worth the trip. Lots of wineries around Seneca Lake for a side visit.

3  Thank derfsdv
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We followed other recommendations that we found on TripAdvisor and parked our car at the entrance to the park, took a shuttle to the top of the gorge, and hiked down instead of up. This way our toddler was able to walk down by herself without whining that she was exhausted halfway through. We saw lots of other infants in front carriers like ours. Our little one fell asleep in the carrier for most of the walk. It was so peaceful and beautiful. We went relatively early (by 10am) and didn't see many people until we got to the end. We parked wherever we wanted because we got there so early! It was beautiful and we are really happy with our choice for a family vacation!

11  Thank AliQC