“Peaceful, Beautiful and Inspiring”
Review of Farm Sanctuary

Farm Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: This farm offers sanctuary and a home for abused farm animals, and helps to educate Americans about treating animals with respect and compassion.
Fairfield, CT
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Peaceful, Beautiful and Inspiring”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Took my 17-year-old son and my friend brought her 16-year-old daughter. The staff and and interns are great, the site is bigger than I thought--the 25 years of work for animal rights
are inspiring.

Visited August 2011
4 Thank ChrisFairfield_CT

Cambridge, Ohio
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“A Peaceful Escape from an Otherwise Cruel World”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I visited here for their annual Thanksgiving for the Turkeys event and that was my first visit of many more to come, I hope. It's a beautiful farm with a caring staff and peaceful, wonderful animals who you can get close to and simply share the moment. Until you've sat in the grass with a cow or hand fed a flock of turkeys or mingled with sheep and pigs, you haven't experienced the peace and simplicity of life. There are plenty of educational resources for those who haven't yet realized the cruelty of eating animals, as well.

Visited November 2010
5 Thank VeganCaptioner
Fort Myers, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Do you love animals; Do you hate animal cruelty?”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

This well kept---large acre "farm" and barns is in beautiful countryside near NY Finger Lakes region. A GPS would help to get to the rural location. The main recept area is a large visitor friendly barn with a great gift shop (Vegans will find T-Shirts etc). After a short video> a very friendly tour guide (tours on the hour)> will take you on a walk to several barns to see and pet farm animals that have been rescued from cruel commercial farming practices.
The whole area is kept very clean--but mind where you step. Also--this tour would be perfect in Fall--with the leaves turning and the crisp cool temps!! The gift shop also sells unique drinks and treats. A very pleasant side trip--lasting 2--3 hours.

Visited July 2011
4 Thank ArchitectZ
toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Just go.”
Reviewed 16 October 2010

One reviewer said s/he felt it wasn't worth more than a 40-minute drive. We drove five hours from Canada and I'd do it again -- in fact, I sincerely hope to do it again. This place is a refuge, a sanctuary in the truest sense of the word. To spend time with the animals there is such a privilege...and it's a joy to seen animals who once knew nothing but suffering able to simply be who they are, allowed to behave normally, and to be safe and cared for. And after all they've been through, their capacity to trust humans is astonishing. I can't imagine anyone visiting the sanctuary and being unchanged by the experience. Take a one-hour tour -- it's well worth it.

One of the things I really appreciate about the organization and the staff is that they don't preach, they just educate. I became a vegetarian after reading founder Gene Bauer's book "Farm Sanctuary," and now I'm toying with the idea of veganism. My visit to the Farm Sanctuary now has me thinking about a wholesale lifestyle change. If this place doesn't move your soul, I don't know what would.

12 Thank Rather_Be_In_Paris
Rochester, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Nice place not worth the drive.”
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I thought the Farm Sanctuary - great for the animals, nice people, and a lovely place. It's just lacking the spark to make it worthy of a drive to get there. If your in the Watkins Glen area, stop by. I don't feel its worthy of a drive of more than 40 mintues. I wish there was a little more education along with seeing the great animals. As a lover of Beef and all other meats I loved that they Farm Sanctuary wasnt in your face about being Vegan but I wish they did give more knowledge on the damage that industrial farming does on our planet and to our animals. Also give more information on options that are available. Yes Industrial Chicken Farms are horrible (show some more photos - b/c the truth can be painful but it is what it is) but tell the public that you can get chicken friendly eggs - you can raise your own eggs. The City of Rochester allows for you to have your own chickens - and trust me they treat their birds well.

5 Thank jduga