“Nice place not worth the drive.”
Review of Farm Sanctuary

Farm Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: This farm offers sanctuary and a home for abused farm animals, and helps to educate Americans about treating animals with respect and compassion.
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I thought the Farm Sanctuary - great for the animals, nice people, and a lovely place. It's just lacking the spark to make it worthy of a drive to get there. If your in the Watkins Glen area, stop by. I don't feel its worthy of a drive of more than 40 mintues. I wish there was a little more education along with seeing the great animals. As a lover of Beef and all other meats I loved that they Farm Sanctuary wasnt in your face about being Vegan but I wish they did give more knowledge on the damage that industrial farming does on our planet and to our animals. Also give more information on options that are available. Yes Industrial Chicken Farms are horrible (show some more photos - b/c the truth can be painful but it is what it is) but tell the public that you can get chicken friendly eggs - you can raise your own eggs. The City of Rochester allows for you to have your own chickens - and trust me they treat their birds well.

5  Thank jduga
"private tour"
"visitor center"
"new york"

Reviewed 8 October 2009

If you are an animal lover this is a must. If you have kids who like animals, especially city kids who've only seen cats and dogs, they will totally have a blast. (however, supervise your kids - these are big animals and while the guide makes an effort to bring you to the friendlier animals... these are not pets, and as you know, even the gentlest pets can sometimes snap.)

The farm is somewhat out of way, a good 15 minutes drive from Watkins Glen, but not difficult to find. The place is very beautiful and truly feels like a paradise for animals. Do join the tour so they can take you close to the animals: sheep, goats, chicken, cows... There is a short video before tour about farm animal abuse, which is educational but also very sad.

3  Thank azuki
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Found out about Farm Sanctuary from seeing a t-shirt on someone at the B&B we were staying at. It was one of the main reasons they came to the area. Staff provided an hour group tour for a very reasonable $3/pp donation. Thought I was quite knowledgeable in the area, but still learned a lot, especially about why people go vegan. Definitely worth a stop when travelling between Seneca and Keuka Lakes.
Don't look for a lot of tourist info. on this because these types of non-profits don't have advertising budgets.

4  Thank NEasternUSA
Reviewed 1 July 2008

My boyfriend and I live in the Northwest Indiana/Chicago area, and we come all the way to Watkins Glen, New York to visit Farm Sanctuary. I can't even dream up a more wonderful place. Not only are the animals so much fun to interact with, the actual farm is simply gorgeous. We are returning again this August (2008), and I couldn't be more excited. Everyone there is so friendly, and they love the animals so much that you cannot leave without your heart absolutely soaring. Simply beautiful.

And the adorable animals...oh, the animals! :) My advice: if you want to visit with the pigs when they're active and friendly (even playing outside) as opposed to napping , make sure to stop by their area first thing in the morning. Our last trip, we made the mistake of visiting them around noon during 80+ degree weather....needless to say, they were pretty much knocked out in their barn! Still adorable though, of course. :)

9  Thank AudreyCW85
See more reviews
Reviewed 11 March 2008

The Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, NY offers beauty in its surroundings and in the souls of its beloved animals. If you wish to be in a peaceful environment and still feel connected to the reality of this world, this is the place to come. The message is simple: just look into the eyes of all of its rescued creatures and they will tell you that they are eternally grateful for being alive. My husband and the rest of my family were moved by the dedication to and knowledge of these innocent animals provided by the staff. They made us feel welcome and made us aware of the plight of farm animals in agribusiness in the U.S. As a result of our visit, we achieved peace and rest, a renewed sense of being for ourselves, and most importantly, a deep sense of compassion for all animals, particularly those that live for a brief time in the outside world before being so cruelly slaughtered. This is a very real problem in our society. It made us wake up and become vegans, gaining better health with a plant-based diet and giving up animals forever. We sincerely hope you do the same. Thank you.

6  Thank AliceBillBrown