“A Watkins Glen gem of a hotel”

Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
Syracuse, New York, United States
“A Watkins Glen gem of a hotel”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

From the moment I drove into the parking lot, I knew I was in for a treat. The exterior is gorgeous and as you enter the lobby you realize the interior is as lovely as the outside. I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist who informed me upon check-in that my reservation had been upgraded to a Lakeview room with a balcony. A very pleasant surprise even though I wouldn't be using balcony, due to the "Polar Vortex" N.Y was experiencing at the time, the view of Seneca Lake was breathtaking.
My room was lovely with 2 queen beds, table & chairs, flat screen tv. A small vanity with lighted makeup mirror was in the hall way. The bathroom was all tiled beautifully with walk in lit shower. I.t h ad the usual bottles of shampoos, conditioners, etc, but the nice touch was the container with wrapped q-tips & cotton balls.
The hotel has an indoor pool & exercise room, a very nice restaurant and bar.
I won't hesitate to stay here in the future. I highly recommend this gem in Watkins Glen.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Reba O
Carolyn G, General Manager at Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and other travelers on Trip Advisor.
It's great to hear you were impressed by our friendly staff and truly appreciate your compliments on the design of the hotel and for highlighting several of the amenities our hotel has to offer.

Your patronage and high recommendation is extremely important to us. We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!

Carolyn Guyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Avoca
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Nice hotel in Watkins Glen, but maybe overpriced for the area, price was definitely inflated due to the fact of the "Ice Bar Event"

I totally get that this is a tourist trap. And the hotel is nice... with some touches you don't expect like wood-like floors in the guest rooms.

The selling point for the rooms, in my opinion, are the bathrooms. They have gorgeous showers in them that are all tiled. There is no bathtub, which is usually a sticking point for me. But, this shower is so big and luxurious that I don't even miss the tub.

They offer turn down service at night with little chocolates on your pillow.

We particularly like the soap and shampoo they offer in their rooms. It is nice and natural.

If you have to stay in Watkins Glen, this is probably the only large hotel you are going to find.

Not bad if you don't mind spending a couple hundred dollars a night for a sleep.

Plenty of nearby restaurants within walking distance. Also lots of nearby wineries for tasting.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the lake
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
We hope you enjoyed our ICE BAR event! Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and other travelers.

We appreciate your special mention of our turn down service and are pleased to hear you enjoyed our spa inspired bathrooms. They are truly a guest favorite!

It was our pleasure to have you as our guests and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Harbor Hotel in the future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We recently spent a weekend in Watkins Glen doing some wine tasting in and around Seneca Lake. We stayed at Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel and HIGHLY recommend this place! We thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The rooms are very clean and well appointed. The staff are extremely accommodating. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a room with a view, well worth it. Everything is within walking distance to town and just drive up Route 14 where you will find a ton of great wineries! Thanks for a great stay! Our favorite place in town was Glen Mountain Market. Staff, breakfast sandwiches and baked goods are the best!! Make it a priority!

1 Thank P A
Carolyn G, General Manager at Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for your high recommendation of the Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to give us and other travelers your thorough and detailed feedback on your stay.

It was certainly our pleasure to do all that we possibly could to make your stay a memorable one. We enjoy providing our guests with the exceptional service they deserve and appreciate you giving a special mention to the Glen Mountain Market. We will be happy to share your compliments with them.

Again, thank you for your review and for sharing your Harbor Hotel experience!

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2014

MY wife and I spent only one night at the Harbor Hotel. THe room was very clean and comfortable. THe hotel itself is very attractive...it looks brand new!
This is an excellent place to saty if you are doing the wine trails in the area. We had a drink down at the bar. The staff was very friendly and had lots of great advice for places/wineries to visit, places to eat, etc... We have already decided that when we come back in the spring or summer that we are definately going to stay here again.

1 Thank Hemo14
We appreciate you taking the time to give us and other travelers feedback on your experience at The Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel.

It was certainly our pleasure to do all that we possibly could to make your stay a memorable one. Your patronage is extremely important to us and we’re thrilled to hear you are looking forward to a return visit!

Again, thank you for staying with us and for completing your review on the Harbor Hotel.

Best Regards,
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Absolutely love this hotel... Fantastic view, amazing rooms, price is for what you get, but not outrageous..great fitness room. Great restaurant . Quaint area, right on the lake. One of my favorite hotels anywhere... Worth a stay.

Room Tip: Great work out area.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other travelers. It was, indeed, our pleasure to have you as our guests and we are delighted that you have a fond memory of The Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I booked my trip to Watkins Glen back in October for this past weekend (Jan 17-20th) My boyfriend and I had never been up there but really wanted to tour the wine trails there. I had contacted the concierge via telephone right after booking and got a voicemail, so I left one asking if they could return my phone call to help me figure out what to do. I never heard from them. Then I emailed a week letter and didn't get a response. Finally, I called again and didn't get a response so I decided to email the general manager. Within minutes, the general manager had upgraded by room to a beautiful suite (more on that later) and the concierge had emailed me giving me all the information I needed. They recommended that I use Frisky Wine Tours so I don't have to drive. I had looked up town car companies, but the concierge said that if you use Frisky wine tours, they pick you up right there, and go in to each winery with you and explain things. I was so happy that the general manager was able to not only upgrade my room but make sure that everything was done so I knew what to do when I got there!!!

When we arrived on Friday we were treated so nicely! We went into the room and were shocked at how beautiful it was. (We stayed in the Admiral Suite and I highly recommend it!) The living room was stunning and had a complimentary bottle of Champagne and cheese tray for us to enjoy. There was a wine fridge and a nice table and A KILLER VIEW OF THE RIVER!! The bedroom had already been turned down, since we arrived late, and there were chocolates waiting for us. The bathroom was beautiful with a huge jacuzzi tub and a walk in shower that could fit a village. Everything was sparkling clean (and I'm pretty picky).

After we settled in, we went down and had dinner at the bar. (the concierge recommended we try their burger.) Our bartender, Sean (I believe that's how you spell it) was amazing. He was so helpful when we asked about the local wines, beers, and liquors he had at his bar. If he didn't know an answer, he said exactly what he should "I'm not sure, but let me check!" He made one of the best martinis that my boyfriend has ever had and their well vodka was VERY GOOD. You won't find cheap booze here, but the prices were reasonable. The burgers were also fantastic (12 oz each!! huge!!!) and we asked him a question about wineries he didn't know the answer to and he left to find the answer out for us. It was so sweet. He's a fantastic employee and I highly recommend that you seek him out. He seems to know a lot about the wineries and breweries in the area.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant 2 days in a row and the service was terrible. They didn't bring me sugar with my coffee, the portions were quite small for how much it cost, and the servers never introduced themselves or told us specials. We overheard another server tell another table what the specials were, so we knew. Both mornings I waited for my breakfast for over a half hour but there were maybe 8 people in the restaurant and several servers. My boyfriend, who is in the industry, was furious with the service for how much it costs to eat there and went to complain immediately. The manager (again SO ATTENTIVE!!) IMMEDIATELY booked us dinner at the restaurant that night and told us she would take care of it all. At first, I didn't even want to eat there and was looking at other restaurants in the area to go, but we really appreciated how the situation was handled and dressed ourselves up and went down to dinner. We were greeted by the dining room manager and our server, Rene. We were treated like royalty. I had the filet minon and I asked for some substitutions and Rene was more than happy to do that for me. She was so nice and personable. She suggested a wine for me from one of the wineries I had visited that day and it was delicious. The bread basket was FANTASTIC (I recommend trying the garlic butter!!) Dessert was AWESOME. It was a comped meal but I can't even begin to explain how lovely the service was. It was like night and day. Rene obviously loves her job and was smiling and so attentive. She was, by far, the most helpful person we met on our trip.

Frisky wine tours -- was amazing! I'm so thankful that the Harbor Hotel recommended them. It's a small, family owned business, and the driver gave us a private tour because he had no one else signed up. He actually changed his usual route based on the kinds of wines we liked and even took us to some breweries. The next day we went back to one of the wineries we visited to get another bottle of a wine we liked and saw him there with a tour. He offered to have us follow him to a winery we didn't visit the day before that did a fantastic cheese pairing. If you're going-- look him up. It's way more affordable than renting a town car, and I don't recommend driving as there were check points set up everywhere. DWI is obviously an issue there.

Overall, despite some minor setbacks, the hotel was fantastic about making sure we were happy. I think our upgrade MADE our trip ( I enjoyed the jacuzzi tub which is not something that's offered in their more basic rooms.) The manager was fantastic at making sure the problems we experienced were fixed immediately and that's really what 5 star service is. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to go tour the wine trails. Book early, because they were pretty busy even for the off season!

Room Tip: The "village view" is a parking lot view. The balcony rooms are great even in the winter...
1 Thank Kim924
Thank you taking the time to provide this thoughtful review of your stay. It was my pleasure to assist you in getting your visit back on the right track. We appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our services.

It was very kind of you to give special mention to Sean and Renee in your review. They we’re thrilled to read your very gracious comments.

We appreciate your recommendation and hope you can visit the Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

The hotel was clean, comfortable, and tastefully decorated inside and out. The staff members were very friendly, and we enjoyed the coffee and tea down the hall from our room in the mornings. Having a restaurant and bar included on the property was very convenient, and there were other restaurants and shops located just a few minutes walk away. It was a relaxing weekend on Seneca Lake.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel.
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed a relaxing weekend and that our staff and accommodations exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watkins Glen
Chieftain Motel
Chieftain Motel
#8 of 9 in Watkins Glen
The Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars

Been to Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!