“Be careful how you book your reservation!”

Longhouse Lodge Motel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
Boulder, Colorado
“Be careful how you book your reservation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

While we had no complaints about our room or the amenities, we were miffed by the booking process. Looking up the motel directly online, the same price was quoted as did Hotels.com, so we booked through Hotels.com. When we checked in, we were surprised by an $8.50 “booking fee” that we had never been charged before and that had not been identified in the quote (other than a generic “plus taxes & hotel fees.”) This fee was to cover the motel’s “online” booking service since it is not really their own website but is outsourced. I spoke with Hotels.com, with the motel owners, and with the motel’s online booking company, and all three blamed each other for the extra fees. The owner explained that I should have called the motel directly to reserve with them over the phone, and I would have saved nearly $40 for one night’s stay. I find this to be outrageous. A $40 difference is far more than the $8.50 I was first concerned about. So I am smarter now, and will have to phone all hotels directly in addition to my internet searches. Geez nothing is straightforward anymore. The great news is that the owners were sympathetic to my plight and eventually refunded me $8.50. The hotel itself was just as advertised and quite nice. We would stay there again, but we would phone them to make a reservation next time.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Very nice place...if you need a clean place to stay, this is it. Nothing fancy, the rooms are small, but we loved the rockers on the porch (each room has their own). And the view across the street was of Seneca Lake, just beautiful. WiFi is available for free. Nice pool, lots of outdoor tables and chairs, a gazebo. Towels were soft and fluffy and smelled so nice. State park is just down the road and the raceway is a couple miles away. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have not been to a motel in a long time, this is what was built in the 1950's and really has not changed much, there was two double beds in a very small room, a small A/C in the wall that never turned off, the room was decorated with plates and wreaths on the peach color wall. There was two very old rose color wing chairs that look like they had seen their days, and a very small dorm style refrigerator in corner of room, behind the chairs, so it was not easy to get to it. But the bathroom was somewhat newer and I have to say it was clean. I think for this area it was a ok choice, as I saw many old style motels in Watkins Glen that looked far older and neglected. If you need to be in the area close to Watkins Glen then this place is ok, It is not a cheap place though, I think the price was high that weekend because of the racetrack event that date. I had to pay one night in advance and reserve 3 nights with no refunds without a week notice. That was their policy, it is not a Holiday Inn, and if that's what they have to do to stay in business it's ok with me.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bett05
Luzerne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

Longhouse Motel reminded me of home.The rooms were clean,walls painted different colors,bedspreads, and dust ruffles on the beds.Staff very helpful.They had a nice continental breakfast coffee,juice,bagels,donut,and english muffins.This was the first time we ever stayed in Watkins Glen,believe me when we come back,we will stay here again.Before we looked at Longhouse we stopped at a few others and asked to see the rooms,believe me this is the right place to stay.They have a great heated pool and beautiful gazabo.They have old air conditioner but it worked great.The towels were soft,they had coffee makers in all the rooms.It was great getting up and having coffee in our room,they also have small refrig in each room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank droberts123
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

Longhouse Lodge is a lovely ranch-style motel up the hill from Seneca Lake in Watkins Glen, NY. We arrived after a 4-hour drive to smiles, information, and suggestions for dinner. The room was cozy, the beds & pillows extremely comfortable, soft/plush towels, and other conveniences you'd find in your own home. A light continental breakfast from 7-10am can be eaten right ourside your room in the white rockers or amongst other guests under the gazebo. All this and a pool have a great view of Seneca Lake. We had an excellent stay and would go again!

Room Tip: The difference between a standard and deluxe room besides a few dollars more? Microwave in the delu...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Regina D
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Please note that I sent the following note via email on 7/6/12 to the Longhouse after our 3 day stay, and I never received a response from them. I am posting here as part of my review:

"We stayed in room 19 from June 29th through July 2nd. It was our first time in Watkins Glen and we loved the Longhouse. It was perfect for us, as we had our 11 month old with us and my mother. We were in town for a wedding.
When we left I left a note on your stationary advising of how much we liked your establishment. However, I did add a postscript that the cleaning staff could not be commended. I am writing here to take the time to explain why, since I feel you should reconsider the two persons who you have hired for these positions.
During the time we were there I did not expect them to do full cleaning, but they did forget to take out our kitchen garbage (we had left it in the cabinet under the sink), and barely bothered to make the beds correctly. I was more than willing to let that all go; I’ve stayed in every kind of dive, hotel, motel, inn, B & B etc and I am not fussy. However, on Monday morning, as we opened our door at 10am to pack the car and check out, the two cleaning staff members were sitting outside our room on the rocking chairs designated for our area. (NOTE: Each room has these lovely rockers outside so guests can sit outside and relax. This is a VERY NICE touch at the Longhouse.)They were smoking and talking. They did not move, or apologize, or put out their cigarettes. They in fact looked annoyed that the guests were invading their smoke break. I then realized that they were the two who kept leaving their cigarettes in the ashtray outside our room. If the cleaning staff can’t be bothered to clean the cigarette butts out of the ashtray outside a guests’ room I don’t know why you bother having these two working there. They were rude and I live in New York City and am a pro with rude but when you work in a service field you make an effort. These two did not.
I know we will try and return for a wine tour and I will definitely call the Longhouse. But I will be the guest who asks if you still have the same cleaning staff from this summer working there. If you do, we would not come back and stay, and I would advise others not to as well.
Like I said, I loved your establishment. I just can’t believe you employ these people at such a nice place."

My direct review of the Longhouse: We had room 19, a nice big efficiency with a kitchen. It was a good size for three people and our 11 month old. The towels they provide here are terrific. Big and soft. The kitchen has almost everything we needed for our stay. Just bring some paper towels and some Fantastik cleaner to tidy up the cabinets and kitchen bar. The bathroom was a good size and the water pressure was terrific. The afternoon we arrived, a Friday, the lady at the desk was fabulous. Very kind and helpful.
The pool, the gazebo and the view are also wonderful. If you ever have to stay in Watkins Glen this is a good place; it is not in the center of town like the other motels but I prefer it that way, away from the crowds. However, like I advised the Longhouse via my email, if the two rude, smoking jerks are still working there we would not return. When you pay what we did for a 3 night stay, I would expect them to at least not sit outside my room smoking and leaving their cigarette butts for me to clean up.

Room Tip: There are two efficiency rooms which are a nice big size and perfect if you are travelling with a ba...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank GeorginaGeorgina
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We spent two nights at the Longhouse lodge and although not fancy accomodations, the rooms were clean. The towels were extra soft - beds were fine. We loved that it had a pool and a gazebo to hang out in too - and the rocking chairs were a nice touch. The continental breakfast had bagels, donuts, coffee and juice. Had a nice view.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends