“Craptacular!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen Villager Motel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
Buffalo
“Craptacular!”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I guess if you were stranded this place might do in a pinch but if you are planning a trip for a race, wine tour, or gorge walk and are on a budget avoid this joint at all costs. There are a few cheaper and much nicer places down by the State Park. While the Villager is right smack dab in the middle of town there are trade-offs. The truck and auto traffic outside are frequent and at all hours. if that doesn't drive you batty this place seems to attract a less than desirable clientele. When I was there they placed this group of what appeared to be transient workers in the room next to me....they drankand did whatever all night long. I remember heading to my car in the lot and watching housekeeping's reaction when they opened the door to the room next to mine. It was an audible gasp. The room itself is what you would expect from looking at the exterior of the building...basic and utilitarian. The problem with that is the outrageous rates this dump charges. No carpeting on the floors, rock hard bed, crappy TV and a sink by the bed. There were dead insects in my second floor room. This place would be ok if you hit the bars on the Main strip and got too inebriated to drive anywhere. That would be the only reason to stay here. The only reason.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank tsar811
AJFranzese, Owner at Watkins Glen Villager Motel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
The Villager Motel has no rooms without carpeting as described.We have 3 different buildings with a range of rates. All of our rooms are checked daily prior to guests arrivals. All guests have a right to inspect their room when checking in. If not satisfactory we want to know. This person never contacted our office or management about any problems.
Both our office and management’s phone numbers are printed on all room phones so that a customer can reach us at any time day or night. Our response is immediate so we can assure that our guests have a safe and comfortable stay. We are family friendly and do our best to see that all guests are happy with their stay.. As for the price comment this reviewer saying what he did chose to stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Johnson City, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I needed/wanted a room in Watkins Glen for Labor Day Weekend. This was the only place in town that had a room open all three nights.

The positives: The office staff was very pleasant from the time I made the reservation through my checkout on Monday. Motel was very conveniently located in downtown area of Watkins Glen; several restaurants and lake within easy walking distance. Staff was very accommodating with motorcycle travelers (I was one.) Rooms and grounds were clean and safe.

The negatives: Even considering holiday weekend, prices were a bit steep for room size and type of motel (no frills). My room was very small, but person who took my reservation did let me know about this ahead of time. Motel is in need of some updating and cosmetic repair in certain spots, especially the doors to many of the rooms, but it isn't nearly as bad as some reviewers have indicated.

Overall, this motel served my needs (just a place to sleep) and I would probably stay there again, especially if I could do so for a little less cash.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Milton
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Advertised as a bed and breakfast, but you have to cook your own. They put some eggs and bacon in the refrigerator and said help yourself. We visited in middle July with temperatures in 90's. Only a/c was in the bedroom. No fans, and the windows do not open. Bathroom was down the hall from room, with no air.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
The Glen Manor is advertised on our website only as a Guest House. Not as a Bed and Breakfast. Only guests occupy the house. Each morning a large continental breakfast is set out by our staff and guests are told to help themselves. We do not have bacon and eggs in the refrigerator.We do not allow guests to use the stove. Guests are welcome to use the refrigerator to store their wine and snacks and the microwave to warm things. If guests are looking for a hot served breakfast we refer them to one of the many bed and breakfasts in our county.

Travellers are raving about these Watkins Glen hotels

Waterloo
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We've stayed here four times now. It's our first choice for the area. It's a basic hotel. No frills. But very clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. Having the pool is a nice bonus with kids. We usually book their largest room which is huge. Lots of room for two boys to run around and play. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013
kingston,on
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Ok, where do I even start! We were 2 adult couples, and had booked 2 rooms for 2 nights. We wanted to stay in the village so we could walk to restaurants. I had thought that both rooms were in the manor but it turned out that one was in the manor and the other was in the “hotel”. You must read the description of this “hotel” closely :
“The two story building on 4th Street is called the Motel. Behind the motel is a one story building that we call the Hotel where our indoor pool and sundeck are located. Located on the same property is a Victorian Mansion called The Glen Manor Guest House with its spacious lawns and Historic Carriage House.”
The motel is on the main drag going through the town (4th Street) and the rooms are right along the sidewalk very close to the road. There are motel rooms on the opposite side as well, facing the parking lot. The “hotel” I guess is called a hotel because the rooms are accessible from an indoor hallway. The manor is a lovely large while house, separate from the motel and hotel, with a laundromat between the properties.
The couple we were with (my son and his wife) were booked in the manor and we were in the hotel. They were not impressed with either of the rooms and couldn’t believe that the owners could charge $150-$160.My daughter-in-law felt the manor was eerie and they thought the motel room had a funny odor. (When they spoke to the staff at the office about the accommodations there was quite a falling out. He was a discontent customer but what he was saying seemed to insult some of the staff. He just wanted to leave and the staff at that point wanted him to leave, but after he paid them the $160 deposit..That didn’t go over too well and in the end we switched rooms) We willingly took the room in the manor as my husband and I thought it was exactly was we had expected and the younger couple took the room at the “hotel”. We really liked the master bedroom in the manor. The bed was clean and comfortable. The shower stall is not very big so if you are a “big” person, you may have a problem getting into it. We enjoyed sitting out on the porch with a glass of wine in the evening (but if you’re looking for a quiet spot, this is not the place as it’s on the main thoroughfare through the village). We didn’t eat breakfast in the morning (really only had breads, cereals, and granola bars), but did go to Savard’s one morning and had a huge breakfast there. If you’re looking for a place to stay in the village, well, read the information closely about the accommodations. And it appears that what one person thinks is an acceptable room, definitely doesn’t work for another. I used the rating of average based on what to expect in Watkins Glen.

Room Tip: choose a room in the manor with a bathroom
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pencilcase
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I was contacted 5 days before my stay and told without full payment they were canceling our reservations. They also decided to throw in a non smoking refundable deposit of $150 per person. I was never advised of this fee when I had made reservations 2 months earlier, also received an email confirmation of my reservations that never listed this fee!! I called several other hotels in the area and had never heard of such a thing. The way the receptionist spoke to me and treated me was worse than I had ever been spoken to!!! Very bad etiquette for a hotel that has 73 bad reviews already!!! I also contacted and reported this business to the BBB!!!! Good luck future travelers!!!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Start114
AJFranzese, Owner at Watkins Glen Villager Motel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
We regret that the reviewer was dissatisfied with her reservation. I handled this isssue with the reviewer personally - I can,therefore, assure that it was handled professionally and with courtesy. The reviewer contacted us in June to reserve four rooms for mid-August. We explained to her in detail our policy requiring a credit card to secure the reservation. Our policy to reserve requires all guests to provde a valid credit card with which to guarantee their rooms. Unfortunately, the reviewer was unwilling and/or unable to do so. As a courtesy, we offered to hold her reservation up until12pm on the day of her anticipated arrival without a deposit. She originally agreed that would be acceptable. The reviewer then called back later that day to ultimatel cancel the reservation. She made the decision to cancel the reservation - not the other way around. In fact, under the circumstances, we were willing to amend our reservation requirement to accomodate her. We are truly disappointed that she has chosen to leave a negative review.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Overall I was very satisfied with this hotel. It was not my first choice of hotel/ motel to book in the area as it was NASCAR race weekend, and almost everything else in the area was completely booked. I was a little hesitant in booking it but since I already had tickets to the race, I booked it even after reading some of the negative reviews.

Looks wise from the outside, this is not the prettiest hotels, or newest, or fanciest, but I was very surprised by the pleasant accommodations. We stayed in the large room in the HOTEL section of the motel with 2 Queen Size beds. We have 3 small kids so this was perfect. There was a little work desk, and a small table with plenty of chairs, and a sofa there as well, so plenty of seating. There was also a 40+ inch flat screen TV which was a nice touch.

The rooms/ hotel is a bit older but you can tell the staff/ owners take pride in keeping it clean. The room was kept very clean. It was also a very quiet room, you can hear guests a bit when they walk down the hall to go to the swimming pool etc, but in general there was very few (if any) disruptions at night time.

The bathroom was very plain, but clean, with plenty of counter space.

The best part really for me was that everything was close by. Watkins Glen State Park, and the Gorge were minutes away, the main street w/ shops/ restaurants/ ice cream parlors were walking distance away, as well as a Walmart/ drug store/ Dunkin Donuts.

The racetrack was also about 10 minutes away, so the PERFECT location for going to the races/ and seeing all that Watkins Glen area has to offer... Stay in room 307! If your not looking for a fancy place/ close to all the amenites, close to attractions and race track this was pretty much perfect place! The front desk person was also very friendly and nice!

Room Tip: Room 307! Hotel section. Quiet room, close to the pool, and away from the motel! Large room with...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 9 in Watkins Glen
Anchor Inn And Marina
Anchor Inn And Marina
#7 of 9 in Watkins Glen

Been to Watkins Glen Villager Motel? Share your experiences!