“Wonderful Stay”

Anchor Inn And Marina
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This motel is clean and adequate - nothing fancy. The staff was friendly. The deck is amazing and an increadibly relaxing place to be. My only complaint would be the lousy mattress. Despite the mattress, I would stay there again in a hearbeat.

While nothing listed below bothered me or anyone I stayed with, there are A few things to be aware of:
1) The hotel is on a CRAZY steep hill. If you're unsteady on your feet or afraid to take your vehicle up a hill, this is not the hotel for you. Side note: you don't HAVE to walk up and down the hill if you don't want to - the parking lot is at the top. There also steps to walk down part of the hill.
2) This is a Dog friendly hotel and we saw several dogs during our stay - including the Owners' dogs who occasionally roam outside or in the lobby area. Our group was a bunch of dog lovers, so we didn't mind.
3) There is a salt plant down the road from the hotel so during the week, there is a good bit of truck traffic. We didn't see any trucks Saturday or Sunday.
4) The Tiki bar across does have live music on weekends and was a bit loud on Saturday night - not enough to interfere with sleep unless you're a really light sleeper.
5) Each day they made the beds and emptied the trash. We had the same sheets and same towels for 3 nights.

Again, none of those 5 things bothered me, but I know people can be picky and you should know what you're getting into. Our rooms each had a mini-fridge, but no coffee maker. They have fresh coffee every moring in the lobby. The continental breakfast was just muffins and pastries - nothing hot.

Room Tip: All rooms have a shared deck. The two rooms we stayed in were identical.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michelle G

Reviewed 30 September 2012

If you want to stay in a motel that reminds you of a well-worn hunting camp, this is the place for you. We have stayed there twice, though on the second visit left on day one to stay someplace else. We were given a cottage. The furniture looked to be at least 40 years old; the place was dirty from the previous tenants, dead bugs on the floor, and the frig looked unsightly - wouldn't even consider putting bottles into it.
Parking is a challenge, especially if you're staying in a cottage - the road is dirt and is filled with ruts. The view of the lake was about the only thing going for this place.,

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PennStateProud
Reviewed 28 September 2012

From the easy going phone conversation to the check out, the staff were excellent. Room was big, clean and well appointed. View from deck was spectacular. Can't wait to go back and go to the tiki bar!

Room Tip: Got the "Family room" for $10 more... well worth it!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jsmile266
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed at the Anchor Inn because it looked good on line and the reviews were good. What the website didn't show is that the driveway is straight up, causing a certain level of terror every time we went up or down it! My heart would race and my knees got weak every time I had to drive up or down. Some of the roads in that town are the same and often intersected by railroad tracks as well.
The owner was reasonably friendly; the family dogs were very friendly and I loved them. The room was clean and neat but the housekeeping was sadly lacking. We had three people in the room and I expected to be given fresh towels and more toilet paper at least...didn't happen. All that was done was the garbage was emptied and the beds were made. They didn't even vacuum the carpet and it needed it.
There was no coffee pot in the room or any other useful thing other than a hair blower, which we didn't need. They didn't put out little soaps or shampoos, instead they had a dispenser of both in the shower. No freebies at this place!
When we needed ice we found that the ice machine (located at the office) was empty. The owner said someone must have taken all the ice and that we would have to go down two steep hills to the tiki bar to get ice. No offer was made to get ice for us. We got our own ice and lugged it back up two hills. There was still no ice in the machine the next day and the following day there was a bare minimum of ice in the machine. I think there is something wrong with the machine and the owner is ignoring it.
The free coffee and continental breakfast mentioned on line consists of pre-packaged danish/muffins and a pot of coffee all located in the office. Half and half and sugar were available but I found out later that they didn't refrigerate the half and half (stuck it under the counter instead) so I didn't use any more the next days. It clearly states on the package that it needs to be refrigerated. I ended up buying my own stuff to use in the morning.
The tiki bar is expensive but ok to sit and enjoy some quiet time. They only make fried foods to eat there, which I don't normally eat but we did try the fried pickles. We don't like them at all but one of the local dogs seemed to enjoy them. The owner told us they were fantastic, which is why we tried them. Don't bother...they aren't fantastic at all.
Overall the place is clean and run adequately but is located in a really uncomfortable spot on the lake. The view was nice but traveling up and down that driveway takes all the fun out of the place for us. There was also a lot of large trucks going back and forth on that road. I think it had something to do with the US Salt company at the end of the road.
I would go back to that area and probably stay longer next time but I will not go back to this place in particular. They give me the feeling that they only do what HAS to be done..just squeeking by. They don't put themselves out to please you and you certainly don't get any extra's at all.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank ELockwood
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The room was a fair size. When we arrived I had to get the girl at the desk to come and vacuum the carpet, because it wasn't done when they cleaned the room. We have a toddler so I didn't want her eating crumbs off the floor. The tiki bar was nice. I don't think they have a huge menu but it is nice for bar food and a drink. The rooms are average and a little over priced. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HawaiiGirl05
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stayed here one night while passing through area. Clean room small shared deck overlooking water, tiki bar & marina short walk down the hill. Coffee & packaged muffins every morning, Luckily rooms were better shape than outside of property. Overall nice,reasonable motel for one or two nights while visiting area.

Room Tip: all have a view,so no difference
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Stayed overnight for the Watkins Glen Wine festival. $222.00 for one night. Thought it was outrageous to begin with, but gave it a try. The place is ineed of a remodel. Outside door had a 2 inch gap on the side toward the bottom. When we were getting ready for bed, bugs were crawling on the bathroom floor. KIlled the bugs got in bed and two bugs crawled across sheets. Same type of bug. Did not sleep well, told management about bugs (which had now multiplied in number) and brought one to them in a tissue alive. Was told they were harmless potato bugs. It had been so dry they were just looking for moisture. The manager told the girl at the desk to make sure she gave the room and extra vacum. I travel alot for work and have stayed in many hotels across the country. I never encountered bugs in a room, or the laid back attitude of the management. As for the Tiki Bar if you are looking to spend $6.00 for a watered down 6 once mixed drink this is the place for you. Will never go back and will tell anyone looking to travel to this area stay away. I am sure they don't care because they got my $222.00, some other poor unsuspecting traveler will get taken.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends