“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in”

David Dead Sea Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We know that hotels within one chain can vary but we assumed that the 'Le Meridien' brand name meant a certain standard. I should have known there was a problem when the door man gave us no help at all when we were struggling with our cases. After lining up for some time, we found the receptionist unwelcoming and a surly. Unlike other 'resort' hotels we have stayed in, there is only one restaurant - an enormous buffet dining-hall. Staff there were friendly but over-stretched.

The rooms were acceptable but nothing more, with an empty cigarette packet lying on the balcony. Should you lose one of the thin, measly beach towels they provide, they charge you $20. Calling down to reception for help on the WiFi log in was unpleasant - the woman was rude to me and I gave up.

Bathing in the Dead Sea was wonderful. The Concierge did not know the time of sunrise at nearby Masada (a popular hike for tourists) and was anyway, too busy to advise and later on, the Manager had no information at all on this and did not seem to care that there was no concierge around to advise.

We stayed only one night and were glad to escape!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Gillian100

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Completed my stay at Le Meridian Dead Sea from Oct 16th to Oct 18th and this was the worst hotel experience ever.
Hotel is very poorly managed with people coming and going with no security in sight.
On our first night, received knocking on my door art 2am with a man on the other side claiming he was "Housekeeping".
Clearly at 2am and with my "Do not disturb light" on there is no way it was Housekeeping.
We were located on the 16th floor for Starwood Preffered guests and this was very alarming since as i mentioned earlier there is no security at all and no cameras in sight.
Very frightening to say the least and when i contacted Front Desk, they said they would said someone up.
I never saw any hotel staff member to say the least and when i complained and wanted to speak with Management he too could care less because he never contacted us to address this issue.
Luckily, we were smart enough not to open the door!
Now on to the builinding itself. The hotel is very tired looking, moldy and not kept clean at all.
Also, one day we were looking for towels for the pool and of course they ran out and were not able to let us know when more towels would be available. Staff just rolled their eyes and could not be bothered to help.
If you are looking for a disgusting,poorly run and unsafe place to stay with hotel staff who could care less about you and any issues you have while staying at this DUMP then Le Meridien is the place for you!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Paka1972
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I was chagrined to find myself booked at this joint. The couple I was taking around paid $310 per night!!! Highway robbery for this place! Dinner was a madhouse, and their room wasn't ready (we checked in at almost 6 pm!
Keep away, keep away, keep away...

Room Tip: In any other hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank priest22
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I had been here 5 years ago and remembered it being nice so I was excited to return. My experience this time was awful. Our room was filthy and we had to ask twice for someone to come clean the bathroom. It smelled strongly of urine and the floor was black. The carpets in the room and hallway hadn't been vacuumed in who knows how long. Getting towels for the pool was a joke. Apparently the dryer broke so after complaining, we were given bathrobes to use as towels. The pool area was absolutely filthy. The walkways were muddy and littered with trash. Edging around the pool is coming apart and there is mold all along the tiles. The lawn chairs were quite dirty as well. This place needs some major cleaning! I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The view from my room was amazing, and the room was spacious. However, that was by far the best part of my short stay there. The process of getting towels and then getting to the beach is unnecessarily complicated. The layout of the hotel is complicated. The morning I was leaving my key wouldn't work, was replaced three times, still didn't work and it took almost an hour to get security to come and help. The food was barely adequate. Worst of all, the sheet on my bed had not been changed after the previous user, and I didn't notice until I was ready to sleep.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The moment you check in, you realize what type of service is awaiting you.
You will not hear "welcome" or " appreciate your business", or even " how was your stay" upon check out. The reception desk is far to be just acceptable. It is very obvious they don't want to work there.
Upon my request to talk to the hotel's manager, I was told " he is VERY busy".
During my whole stay he had not find the time nor interest to contact me.
If it wouldn't be for the customer service rudeness - the hotel's rates would be much higher.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

With $500 room rates i expected much more!
our room was nice size with a nice view but had broken and dirty furniture! the bathtub was also dirty. there was no ice machines and the mini fridge didn't have a freezer - i had to put our food we brought in the hotel freezer, and could only get ice from the bar when it was open - and then they ran out of ice! Definitely not American standard.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple