“Amazing area, hotel is definitely not 4*/5*”

David Dead Sea Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
London
“Amazing area, hotel is definitely not 4*/5*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel gives you a great impression when you first enter with a big lobby and a few shops/cafes. The area is just stunning, I could not believe my eyes on the drive down, wow! The spa area is decent in that there is an indoor and outdoor pool, a sulphur pool (pay extra) and sauna/steam room etc. The dead sea itself is just wonderful too.

However, 90% of the staff were quite rude or simply clueless. At dinner, my husband wanted a drink other than the water on offer, the waiter literally didn't know what to do. When he found out, my husband was told that he would have to go over to another area to get it and pay when he was there. Bit odd.

This isn't really the hotel's fault but many of the guests were rude too. The indoor swimming pool was quite overcrowded and people were leaping over each other to get in the jacuzzi which was foaming - ew!

The food was okay. It was a shame in the evening, we didn't spot the salad and by the time we had, we were too full of the stodge to sample it - looked nice though!

One good thing, when we had a problem with the room, the hotel were very good at addressing that in a timely manner which is appreciated.

In conclusion, the hotel was okay. I wish I had stayed for another night not because of the hotel but the area it was in - stunning! Would perhaps try a different hotel in the same area if available at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: There are some rooms where you can see the sunrise. We couldn't but didn't realise that unti...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

After reading some of the more recent reviews we must have had a renovated room because it was very large and nice. The bathroom was huge and very up-to-date. The furniture was fine and the room had a nice king-sized bed and a flat screen TV. The balcony had awesome views of the Dead Sea. We were traveling with a tour group so I did not have any interaction with the check-in desk.

We stayed two nights at the hotel. The restaurant area is huge and was quite chaotic. The staff in the restaurant seemed to be unsure of what they were doing. During breakfast I could not find any coffee cups. I asked two different workers and they both just said "I don't know". I was finally able to secure a cappucino which was very good. The restaurant is very large and there were birds flying inside. I noticed bird droppings on one of the tables. I saw a lady sit down and the leg of the chair broke sending her falling to the floor. It took them quite some time just go get someone over to their table. They first just turned the chair over and left it but someone finally came and took it away. The table we sat at was near the steps and one of the chairs was precariously close to them. One wrong move and it would have toppled. The food was OK but I was wary after seeing the bird droppings.

The outside area is very beautiful. I loved floating in the Dead Sea. There are robes provided in the rooms for wearing to the sea. We tried to find the area for the towels to take to the beach but never found it. They advertise that they have a pool with Dead Sea water. One of the ladies in our group went to the pool in the evening and was shouted at and told to leave by a group of men who had evidently taken over the pool area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Modesto, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Wow! The view was lovely from the sliding glass door and balcony. However, we could not see the sunrise from our room. Nevertheless, it was great! I heard from others that there were several obstacles on the rooftop for photography (climbing over ducts, then later on the nudists!)

Back to the room, the large and lovely bathroom was the best on our 15 day trip.
The place was walking distance to McDonald's for tiny espressos and some shopping.

The dinner was fine but we really like to have a little coffee with our evening dessert. None could be had. When I asked for coffee, they sent me out of the dining room across the way through the lobby to the bar, where a coffee is about $3.00 or 12 shekels! I just chose to do without. We thought it seemed reasonable to have coffee with an evening meal. Oh, there was coffee for breakfast. The good news is that the room had electric hot water kettles. We brought lots Starbuck's Via so we just had to wait till we got to the room to have our coffee. We highly suggest this trick for any coffee drinker that goes to Israel. At the very least, we needed a couple of cups before the breakfast buffet opened!
We enjoyed the robes for our 4 minute walk down to the Dead Sea. I had to take a magazine for the "floating and reading" photo. It really took a couple of minutes and a few splashes to relax and see that you really do float easily. We heard that the same salt water is found in their pool but we did not utilize it. It was very fun and exciting for us to float in the Dead Sea. I liked the way it made my skin feel but others did not.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Nahariya Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Very large hotel, the hotel is large and spacious rooms charming entertainment team that takes the time to stay happily and with great pleasure! Very high standard of food and excellent service! Spa hotel and excellent high-level visit is highly recommended! Good time!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EITAN E
Paranaque, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

First the good part: Its a huge luxury hotel on the Dead Sea region. Rooms are huge and clean. Mine had a separate section for the bedroom and living room. Great bathroom amenities with bathrobe (which you will need if you go to the dead sea). Now the sad part: Our group went last September. It was a busy period since most of the holidays happened that month so lots of locals were checked in. Check in went fairly well. There was one guy who was helpful. We then all went up to our respective rooms to wait for our luggage so we can all change and proceed to the dead sea.

I took out some files to do some work while waiting. An hour later I noticed my luggage has not yet been sent. I then called our guide to ask if she has her luggage and said no and that she called the Bell captain to follow up. I also did call but no answer. While waiting I got hungry so I tried calling room service. No answer. Called thrice, only ringing. Luggage arrived after two hours and it was hot - yes hot as if it came from the oven! I went down the lobby and found out that some of our passengers went down earlier looking for their luggage as well. They saw our luggages outside the hotel not yet brought up. The sad part is, the porters were just there doing nothing. Its fine if they were busy you can understand that. So one of our colleagues asked the porter why they are not yet bringing up our luggage and he just stared! Another one just grabbed her suitcase and brought it up herself.

I then went to the reception and looked for the duty manager. They asked why. I said I want to talk to her or him and asked the name of the manager. The girl said she doesnt know. Huh??? You dont know the name of your boss??? Another person butt in and said the girl was new - I said even if you are new surely you will know who is the boss of the hotel right? After so many arguements and I was tired and irritated I already screamed at them. Later a lady came out who said she was the duty manager. I explained about the luggage thing, then the fact that no one answers room service etc. She apologised and I just asked where the wifi area is cause I need to work. I wasted several hours waiting for the luggage and phone not ringing and its too late for me to wait for the shuttle to bring me to the dead sea.

I worked at the lobby cafe and when I was paying they said its on the house. Ok thats fine but hen later another incident during dinner. The dinging area is so huge maybe can accommodate a thousand people but all seats almost taken and the place is just a riot. Our guide and I reservered a table for our group. I had been to Israel several dozen times but its the first time we didnt have a reserved table and no name plate. Our guide told the restaurant supervisor to tell our group to proceed to the reserved table when they arrive after the swim.

Several hours later, our guide and I were done with dinner, no one arrived. Apparently they did go to the dining area but not allowed to go inside cause it was full. The supervisor never instructed the stupid receptionist who was clueless on customer service. They were told to go up for another dinner place but found none so our guide raised hell.

I went to the front desk again an looked for the lady duty manager. I told her what happened and she was apologetic. She mentioned that she has to give our group something when we leave in the morning. I said no need. All she has to do is apologize to everyone.

The following morning, it was I who had an awful experience with the dining area. They said the place was full so I cant go in. I went up to another dining area and since I could recall what happened the evening before I made sure I got into the right alternative place. I took something hurried since we had to leave. Guess what when I took one of the quiche looking omelette, I bit something hard and they were egg shells! They cooked the omelette with egg shells.!

I just let in a hurry, checked out and looked for the duty manager. She was gone. No apololgies ever. She forgot about us. I vowed never to use that hotel again.

I called our tour operator to tell them what happened. When I reached Jerusalem I received an apology from the GM of the hotel chain. It sort of appeased me however I am still wary of using it again. I heard form other friends in Jerusalem that the service in most Dead Sea hotels are really bad including this supposedly 5 star Meridien hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Maan
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Well clearly the hotel is not a 5 star, or maybe in the 80's but in that case it has not been refurbished since then, and the location in the desert makes that everything gets stained and used quite quickly.
So the good points: - location, just at the entrance of Ein Bokek, with a private beach on the Dead Sea which is very convenient to experiment one of those famous sea bathing in the salty waters. Yet, once again the layout is not exceptional, and all the deckchairs feel pretty tired. - food, nothing exceptional but decent for an hotel of that size. You find meat, poultry and fish. - Staff, who is helpful and usually smiling. Or at the front desk has been really nice with helping us switch rooms to get a better view.
- Now the negative points are obviously that all the rooms and common ares are pretty dated, not always clean and with some stains.

So obviously an average hotel with the pros and cons, but if you can strike a good deal (and I think it was our case since the rate was roughly $230 for 3 people with breakfast and dinner included), it can be a good base to visit the dead sea area (Ein Gedi and Masada, which are minutes away by car).

Oh and if you were thinking about getting some mud from the Dead Sea, the natural one you can find on public beaches is quite stained, so it s likely you are going to end up buying it from Ahava or putting some on at the Mineral Beach

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We know that hotels within one chain can vary but we assumed that the 'Le Meridien' brand name meant a certain standard. I should have known there was a problem when the door man gave us no help at all when we were struggling with our cases. After lining up for some time, we found the receptionist unwelcoming and a surly. Unlike other 'resort' hotels we have stayed in, there is only one restaurant - an enormous buffet dining-hall. Staff there were friendly but over-stretched.

The rooms were acceptable but nothing more, with an empty cigarette packet lying on the balcony. Should you lose one of the thin, measly beach towels they provide, they charge you $20. Calling down to reception for help on the WiFi log in was unpleasant - the woman was rude to me and I gave up.

Bathing in the Dead Sea was wonderful. The Concierge did not know the time of sunrise at nearby Masada (a popular hike for tourists) and was anyway, too busy to advise and later on, the Manager had no information at all on this and did not seem to care that there was no concierge around to advise.

We stayed only one night and were glad to escape!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family