“Not that great at all” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
San Francisco, California
“Not that great at all”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We were only interested in spa/beach access and picked the first hotel resort we saw (the pickings are slim) in Ein Gedi area of the Dead Sea and picked Hod Hamidbar as it was recommended in our guide book as well. The facilities are clean but not luxurious by any means. And for some reason, I barely saw anyone who was not a senior citizen. The beach does not have the salt rocks that we were warned against. It was basically large grain sand so not soft but it doesn't hurt your feet really. The shower has a shampoo/shower gel you can use and they provide towels with the spa fee. There is no mud at the beach front of the Dead Sea so we had to buy some to apply on ourselves. I would probably try another resort in the area if I had to do it all over again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jing0423
shadi222, General Manager at Hod Hamidbar Resort and Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We very much appreciate you sharing your comments with regards to your recent visit with us at Hod Hamidbar and sorry that you were not fully pleased with your overall experience at the hotel.

It would be greatly valuable to speak with you personally and therefore, please may I request you to contact us on gmsec@hodhotel.com.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Shadi Nassir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Hebrew first
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We just finished our vacation and I'm so glad I chose this place :)
Every thing was just preferct
Perfect food
Perfect spa
Perfect service
Our room was spotless

Before checkin out we made our next vacation reservation

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
shadi222, General Manager at Hod Hamidbar Resort and Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear 10Lovelymaya ,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.
We are truly happy to know that you had enjoyed your overall stay with us .
Your kind comments with regards to the cuisine, Spa and staff are appreciated. It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

General Manager .
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

On a thomson excursion to Masada and the Dead Sea, lunch was organised for the hod Hamidbar hotel. I wished we had stayed on the coach. lunch was awful, hot food was cold and the cold food was warm. Service was worse than poor, and when we asked where the changing rooms were for the Dead Sea we just got grunts and some pointing. Glad we weren't staying there

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Blueterrier111 ,

thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your recent visit at Hod Hamidbar .

i Am disappointed to hear that we were not able to meet your expectation during your last visit
as this is definitely not reflective of the experience that we endeavor to deliver to our guests ,
we do value all our customer feedback enabling us to identify and rectify any shortfalls in service and standard delivery and ensuring a high level of guest satisfaction.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review .

Chestnut Ridge, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We booked hotel Hod Hamidbar for lunch and the use of the spa and the beach during our trip to the Dead Sea. No problem with lunch, it was fine. As far as the facilities at the beach and the spa are concerned, my advice would be to stay away. This is a third class facility. The lounge chairs at the beach are dirty. The beach is dirty. There are pipes and wires sticking out of the water. There are rocks in the water that make it extremely difficult to enter and very easy to hurt your feet. There is a heavy duty construction on the hotel grounds in the vicinity of the beach (end of June 2014). It almost seems like the construction people are dumping rocks into the water.
The changing facilities at the spa are a joke. There are plenty of lockers but hardly any room to change. 4 people at the same time make the place crowded.

My general impression based on my 6 week stay in Israel is that there is a large tourist population from Russia and there are businesses that cater mainly to this population. At such businesses you can expect lower level of service, higher disregard for the guests, and facilities in various state of disrepair. Hotel Hod Hamidbar happens to be one of such establishments.

If you are a tourist from the US, stay away. You will not be happy here.

As a general rule, before you book a hotel, an apartment, or any other service oriented establishment, ask who represents the majority of their clients. If they cater to the tourism from Russia, either lower your expectations or better yet, stay away.

2 Thank henrych
Dear henrych ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor and firstly we are truly sorry for having given you cause to express your disappoint following your recent visit at Hod Hamidbar .
We are extremely sorry to hear of your less than positive experience and would like to assure you that your comments have been carefully noted for necessary action to be taken accordingly.
with regards to the construction at the beach , as we published on our web site these construction was epileptic by the government to protect all hotels in the region, we apologize for the temporary inconvenience .

all the rest about certain people or traveler NO Comments .

Best wishes
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We just came back yesterday from a three day break at the Hod Hotel. I had booked 6 rooms for us, family and friends. Everyone was thrilled with our stay there.The staff are friendly and helpful.The hotel is clean and nicely decorated. They actually received new furniture and changed all the lobby chairs while we were there. Our rooms were not big but had everything one could need with nicely decorated and clean bathroom. The general atmosphere is relaxing and fun.There are renovations on the beach but one still has easy walking access and it doesn't spoil anything.We had great treatments at the spa. Food in the dining hall is very good, ultra fresh and really good selection.I have been to many different hotels at the Dead Sea over the years and I would definitely go back to the Hod. Its the best value for money.At the spa and lobby they offer great food and drinks for very reasonable prices. The milkshakes at the lobby or on the patio are delicious and they have a fresh orange juice and fresh fruit platters at the spa that are very cheap. Can't wait to go back.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
shadi222, General Manager at Hod Hamidbar Resort and Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Tamtam52 ,

Greeting for the lovely nickname ,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.
We are truly delighted to know that you had enjoyed your recent stay with us and were extremely pleased with the service of our staff at the hotel. its also nice to note that you noticed the changes that we had made at the lobby and the dinning room .

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have just returned from a 26 day stay at the HOD hotel. Initially I was sceptical having read some of the reviews, however I could not recommend this hotel enough. I am not the easiest of people to please but I was thoroughly impressed with the responsiveness of the management team and their staff to any issues that I faced during my stay. Testament to my experience was the number of people that I met who had stayed at the hotel every year for 3 weeks or more for the last 15 years. The hotel is small and intimate, I was travelling on my own but after a few days it did not feel that way at all. During my stay I got to know a lot of the staff and they are a lovely bunch. I could name them but it would be a very long list.

I initially booked for 12 days and extended to 26 based on recommendations from the doctor at the IPTC clinic which based on the lower ground floor of the hotel. I visited the clinic for my Psoriasis 10 years ago, the treatment is outstanding, the team at the clinic are very accommodating and truly passionate about the service they provide. I was 90% covered in Psoriasis when I arrived at the clinic and after 26 days I am almost 90% clear. The clinic doctor (Dr Kippinis) recommended that I stay for one more week, but I was missing my kids far too much. I had not pre-planned my trip and hence I arrived having used steroids 3 weeks prior to coming which did not help recovery and initially delayed the amount of time spent in the sun. Next time I will call the clinic and discuss some pre preparation that I can do before travelling.

I was treated by Olga the senior clinician, I was fortunate to have been treated by her the last time, she is extremely knowledgeable passionate about what she does! she is committed to ensuring that Psoriasis is improves quickly and tailors the treatment based on each individual patient under the guidance of the Doctor. I cannot stress how wonderful she is, when I arrived I was itchy soar and very irritable. After just a few days she had managed to “calm down” the Psoriasis which was a huge relief.

Thank you to all the hotel team for making my stay so relaxing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Sea facing.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Urvesh L
Dear Urvesh L ,

I'm delighted to read your review and thank you for taking the time to write your positive feedback regarding your stay at Hod Hamidbar .
I am also pleased to know that you had a exceptional experience and thank you for all your appreciation on the overall facilities, clinic , service and our jewel, the staff.

we look forward to welcoming you back at Hod Hamidbar once again in not so distant future.

Warmest regards,

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

It's been a long time since we enjoyed a place where we got great service. Our room was ready as soon as we arrived. And they gave us the top floor and end room facing the beach. It was very large and perfect for 3 adults. We were able to change and go down to the beach to enjoy the water and float endlessly. Unlike the public beaches, you have to buy your own "bootz" /mud, at the spa, for just a few shekels. The advantage is that it is a little "cleaner", with less grit. But then slather it on at the beach, and later your skin thanks you. Afterwards we went to the pool and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon.

THE SPA......OMG! HOW WONDERFUL! We were able to get massages, and enjoy the whole area. There they have a huge saltwater pool, where you can float just like on the beach. The advantage is that there is no sand, or rocks to walk on. Also for my sister who is disabled, it made it easier to enjoy. There's also a Jacuzzi, sulfur pool and sauna, and numerous showers to rinse off.

The food was fine. My favorite meal is Israeli breakfast. They need to improve table service a little. No one bothers to come to offer anything, so if you want something, you need to ask. A little bit of pro-activity will help. But the food was delicious.

ROOMS. Ours was spacious, clean and comfortable. The bathroom included, drying rope for bathing suits, hair dryer, and bidet. TV has good choices in many languages and 2 room safes for valuables.

The hotel and district is currently in the middle of improvements, with new beach access and amenities. Although the Hod, is one of the older hotels, you'd never know. Just a few cosmetic upgrades are needed.

Finally there is shopping nearby for sundries, souvenirs and jewelry, as well was cafes and restaurants....including McDonalds...but who needs to go there when there's one on every corner at home.

Overall we loved our stay.

Room Tip: Try to go before Israeli holidays and weekends....you'll have more room choices and less crowded...
1 Thank mkadovitz
shadi222, General Manager at Hod Hamidbar Resort and Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear mkadovitz ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your overall stay with us at Hod Hamidbar and were pleased with the hotel facilities we have on offer as well the service rendered by our associates.

All your kind feedback's are greatly appreciated and it was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.