“very enjoyable hotel”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Israel
“very enjoyable hotel”
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Compared to similar Israeli hotels I was pleasantly surprised. I came with an Israeli group of seniors for 4 nights. Meals on day one were not tasty but after t hat the meals were very good with plenty of choices. I didn't like the spa because t he bottom of the indoor pool was very slippery. Nightly entertainment was enjoyable too, Our room had two beds and a chair/bed. Because of electricity problems during a stormy night there were some problems but the hotel has generators so elevators working and lights in public areas. Room seemed very adequate and large enough for the two of us. TV had lots of channels with good reception. Like all Israeli hotels have to pay $9 to use computer (theirs or mine) but across the road was a mall with Aroma resstaurant which has free WI-FI. I would like to return.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank marianknits

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Hebrew first
New York
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We had the misfortune of staying at the Hod Hamidbar as part of our just completed tour of Israel with Insight Vacations. While the hotel boasts an incredible location right on the Dead Sea, it offers nothing else that could possible make anyone want to stay here.

Upon seeing the condition (dirty with frayed bedding and stained carpeting) and location (overlooking a roof and right next to the elevator) of our first room, I went to the front desk asked for a new room. The reaction was unlike any I have ever seen in any hotel in any country in the world; the desk clerk rolled her eyes, took the keys from me, handed them to the manager who shrugged and threw the keys down on the desk before walking away. Shortly thereafter I was joined by three single women who were part of our group who said they needed to move locations because they were assigned a room with one bed. This time the response was to literally tell these ladies that they had a bed and should use it. After speaking with these other members of my tour, we decided to swap rooms since my room at least had two beds and my wife and I were glade to get away from the room next to the elevator with the roof view.

Our new room also featured stained carpeting, incredibly old bedding, paper thin towels, missing plaster on the walls and cracked wood moldings. (See the accompanying pictures). The beds in this hotel are incredibly uncomfortable with paper thin, old mattresses and pillows to match.

The hotel lobby is in no better condition as it features worn, frayed chairs and couches with tables that look like they have not been replaced in a decade. The elevators are completely in adequate -- too small and very old.

As with most tourist hotels in Israel, this one features a buffet breakfast. Unlike other the hotels we stayed in, the food here was mediocre at best and guests were monitored to ensure that they did not leave the dining room with so much as an extra cup of coffee. Also, unlike the other hotels we stayed in, the Hod's buffet did not include espresso or cappuccino. The dinner buffet was equally average and unlike other hotels does not include soft drinks.

The Hod also goes out of its way to nickel and dime you at its spa facilities, imposing an extra charge for robes. I've stayed in numerous spas and have never seen this kind of effort to squeeze the last penny out of a guest.

Based on what I've heard the other hotels located on the Dead Sea are equally awful, because they have discovered that no matter how bad the facilities or rude the staff they can still sell rooms. If you plan on visiting this area, do yourself a favor and try and make it a quick stop for a couple of hours. If you must stay in this region, avoid the Hod Hamidbar if at all possible.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marclaw
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 12 December 2010

this is solid 3* hotel with its own little spa and pool. our room was a bit small but ok for one-night stay. breakfast was good and there is nightly entertainment in a lobby. overall we had a nice stay, but i think that $170/night (B/B category) was a bit too much.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
New England
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I would definitely reccommend this hotel. The rates were reasonable and the room was very nice. It is not a five star hotel by any means but the rooms were well appointed and it was very european spa like. We came here at night desperate for a hotel when our original hotel would not honor our previously arranged rate. So we were thrilled t find this hotel. Many of the other hotels on the Dead Sea have seen better days - and the pickings are quite slim - even for the fanciest hotels.
So we were very please and would come back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank worldsosweet
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I did not stay in the rooms at the Hod hotel; I visted the hotel on a day trip with my tour group. This review pretains to the spa facilities, beach facilities and dining room, that I did have occasion to use at this hotel.

Our group arrived at the hotel's spa facilities to change into our swimsuits before going for a dip in the Dead Sea. The Dead Sea is a natural attraction that is not to be missed.

The changerooms at the spa were small, crowded and dirty. Visitors are issued one small towel when they enter the spa, and there are no additional towels available in the change rooms, and the surly women at the desk won't give you another one at the desk (I asked) so use your towel carefully. There also aren't any paper towels, and the hair dryers were not working properly. The condition of the showers was best summed up by another guest: "it's the kind of shower that makes me feel like I need another shower". Eww. My wife said that the ladies' was not much better.

After drying off with an extra shirt, I went to the dining room to rejoin my tour. We visited on a Saturday (the Sabbath) and there was a big buffet offered. Most of the guests on ur tour were impressed with the amount and quality of the food, but I found a piece of metal (that appeared to be a piece of a broken butter knife) stuck to the outside of a pastry.

I brought it to the attention of the manager of the restaurant, who thanked me for my concern. I suggested that he accompany me to see where I'd found it, and to remove the tray of pastries, in case there was more ieces of broken metal in the pastries. He did not seem to care.

Like I said, I did not stay overnight at the hotel, but from what I saw the few hours that I was there, I was very happy that I didn't stay there.

• Stayed October 2010
4 Thank smartalox
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Pros: directly on the Dead Sea (no need for shuttle bus); excellent gym. CONS: despite reserving a no-smoking room w/ multiple e-mails confirming that request, I was told on arrival they had no no-smoking rooms. They asked for half an hour to fix my room, which, to them, consisted of opening a window. By this time, it was dark and a holiday period - too late to change hotels. After a horrible, sleepless night, the next day they agreed to change the smoke-filled curtains and bedspreads. You must take breakfast; the food is VERY oversalted - I ended up having a yogurt and a piece of cake. I was told, at check-out, that I could have requested a no-salt menu; didn't do any good then.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 7 September 2010

The hotel is smaller than some other hotels on the Dead Sea, and it was much more quiet on the beach, at the spa, and at the pool, and also at the dining room than in other hotels we had stayed in before. The indoor spa is very spacious and well kept, the outdoor sweet water pool is clean and shady. The beach is excellent: very close to the hotel, with the shaded walkway leading right to the beach, plenty of chaise lounges and sunbrellas. The water is pristine as is the sand and the seabed. We had an all-inclusive program, and the food was plentiful and varied, the dining room faced the beach, so every meal was a pleasant experience. The hotel had nightly entertainment at the lobby by the bar, with different performers every night. The rooms and bathrooms were clean but TINY. That was the only drawback.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family