“A good choice if you're just visiting to tour Masada”
Review of The Masada Hostel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ein Bokek
The Masada Hostel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We took two rooms at the Masada Guest house, although four people can fit if one is willing to take a top bunk. They are designed to accommodate groups, with the bathroom arranged so that the shower, toilet, and sinks are separate from one another. Towels were provided, as well as plastic packets of shampoo, but this was the one place we stayed where I was very glad to have packed my own towel and toiletries.

We had dinner in the dining hall (about $12 pp), which was a buffet reminiscent of a college cafeteria. Not bad. (It was winter and dark very early, so we didn't feel like looking elsewhere, and this was a nice option to have.) The breakfast was also a fairly nice spread, included in the room rate ($105/night/room).

We were able to store our luggage in the office while touring Masada. This isn't necessary for those who get up early to climb before dawn and come back down before check-in time, but it was nice to have that option.

One unfortunate issue was that the elevator was out of order when we visited. This probably wouldn't be an issue for backpackers, but it was quite a schlep for a family of rour touring the country for two weeks with luggage we didn't want to leave in the car.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank schlimazel_traveler

Reviewed 23 December 2011

This is a hostel charging hotel prices. You are better off to pay to have a tour of the Dead Sea/Masada and stay in Jerusalem - than to stay in this "hostel". The staff was extremely cold every time we had to deal with them. It is a rather new facility and was clean and the free breakfast was very ample.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I was a little skeptical at first to book a room at The Masada Hostel but after staying there I am glad that I did. For the money it's a great deal. All the other hotels in the dead sea region are very expensive. As we requested our reservation was waiting for us at the front desk and we had a room to ourselves. The front desk was nice and helpful and spoke English perfectly. It's about a 10-15 minute drive to Ein Bokek to restaurants and the public beach which we took advantage of during the day. It's also a 5-10 minute drive to the Ein Gedi area where you can hike the nature reserve as well. There is only one main road so it's almost impossible to get lost driving around the dead sea region.
We woke up and hiked up Masada at 5 a.m. It was perfect because we walked from our room about 50 yards away to the entrance/guard booth of Masada. It's very easy to find. The hike was amazing and difficult and well worth it. When we came back down at 8 a.m. breakfast in the main dining hall was going on. It was really good food with a large selection.

I would definitely stay here again if we come back and hike Masada. The place was relatively clean and nice enough considering it is a hostel (although it doesn't feel like one). The shower was really nice too.

Make sure to request your own room and you'll be set.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeffandMandi
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I found the Masada Hostel to be a very nice surprise. We stayed there to climb the Masada at 4:30 in the morning. For this purpose, it was great. The Hostel itself reminded me more of a hotel than a hostel. It was a brand new facility. The staff was great and the free breakfast was generous. Just remember that when you stay there, you are out in the middle of nowhere. The nearest towns are Ein Bokek or Ein Gedi which are both 20 minutes away by bus. It was a fun way to stay at the Dead Sea away from the tourist hotels. If you are going to climb the Masada, you must stay here and get the real experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eric B
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I stayed ther for one night as the visit of Masada is best when leaving at 4.30am to be able to enjoy the sunset from the fort.

The staff was very friendly.

The dorm room was very clean and had its own very large bathroom. The aircon cannot be turned off and it resulted in me having a sore throat and losing my voice the next day for about a week.

After the visit of the fort, you have time to come back down to the hostel and enjoy the breakfast that's included in the bedroom. The breakfast is an immense varied and fresh buffet.

The swimming pool is the best especially when you have not quite adjusted to the desert heat yet. It is quite amazing to be able to swim while losing yourself in the desert view.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Tsirah
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My son and I took the Egged bus from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea and spent the night at the hostel so we could hike Masada at 4:30 in the morning. It is a great location to do this. We rolled out of bed at 4:15 and were at the gate ready to go at 4:30. The highlight for me was the swimming pool. It was so large and wonderfully refreshing. The temperature was perfect! The rooms were hostel like but clean and the air conditioning worked. It was 100 degrees when we were there. It would be a good place for families. We paid for dinner since there was nowhere else to eat. Unfortunately, it was cafeteria food and not great. But for our purpose of hiking Masada for a sunrise it was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank conniefm
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I have been bringing groups to Israel for years and we almost always stay at this property. However, I also warn my groups (mostly families) that this is a YOUTH hostel, not a hotel.

Pluses: Very new property and nicely designed. At foot of Masada with short walk to cable car if you don't want to walk the "snake path" to the top. The cable car building houses a new museum plus one of the best gift shops in all of Israel. The balcony of the lobby has a good view of the Dead Sea and the Mountains of Edom across the Sea in Jordan.

Rooms are adequate and clean and, as I said, almost new. Showers/toilets in each room. The lobby area is open and airy. Swimming pool is beautiful but closes early.

Negatives: Main problem: This is, again, a YOUTH hostel that caters to young groups. Israeli young people are not self-disciplined, do not have self-restraint nor are they respectful of others' needs. If you are unlucky enough to stay when lots of youth are partying, running around, etc., you may get very little sleep. I have read about the pool closing at 6PM. I agree that this is aggravating, especially when returning from touring and you can't swim in the beautiful pool. There is a reason, though: lifeguards are not allowed to work beyond a certain number of hours. This is Israeli law and it makes no sense to the hot traveler who returns to his lodging while there are still 3 hours of daylight left. Go figure!

I agree with comments re: food. The dining hall is huge, but the food is spartan, not very appealing, and is the same every night (or breakfast). This makes little sense to me as some other Youth Hostel/Guesthouses in Israel can offer great food.

All in all, be informed that this is not a hotel. We like it for the value and the closeness to the place we want to go: Masada. If you stay here, bring ear plugs. If you do, there will be no youth the night you stay and you will have a nice, quiet sleep and be rested and ready to climb the mountain in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
#4 of 17 in Ein Bokek
Hotel Spa Club Dead Sea
Hotel Spa Club Dead Sea
#11 of 17 in Ein Bokek

Been to The Masada Hostel? Share your experiences!