“For the price - not very good”

Fourat Cham Palace -Deir Ezzor
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Deir Ezzor
Fourat Cham Palace -Deir Ezzor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deir Ezzor
Wellington
“For the price - not very good”
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Positives:
Next to the magnificent Euphrates river.
The restaurant has (indoor) tables overlooking the river - fantastic.

Negatives:
Expensive - triple the price of the hotel that no less than 6 locals recommended to me after I had already made my booking at this one.
I arrived at 8pm and was told I could not use the pool until 11am the next day, after I checked out. Despite being the *only* guest in this massive hotel, the manager was unwilling to budge on this,
The tv remote didn't work (I put in working batteries, but it was just plain broken).
There were 9 channels on TV, of which 5 were the same german TV show. The only English speaking channel was the US Armed Forces TV channel (in Syria??!!)
I paid 90 Euros for a "River View" room, 20 euros more than the standard room. However the window was locked and could not be opened, and besides, was behind a net curtain that could not be moved. To see the river you had to climb under the net curtain and press your face against the glass.
The internet service was outrageously expensive (about US$15 for 3 hours), and not very good - I could browse web pages but not download email.
Breakfast was not included in the price. For one orange juice, two croissants and a selection of burnt pastries, it cost me another US$10.

Room Tip: River side room with a working window??
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MikeZandvliet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
UK
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I would say in 20 years of travelling and some 200+ hotels visited this easily rates as the worst value hotel I have ever stayed at.
The hotel is stuck in a time warp, it looks to have been built in the seventies with no investment made in the hotel in the following 30+ years. The decor is cheap and nasty and in many cases worn out.
Quite simply this place is worth no more than UK£40 per night but seems to charge this ludicrous price based it being the only high end hotel in the region and it getting business far to easily.
I have no idea how it can ever be rated as five star, I have stayed in better two star hotels.

The positives were limited to helpful, friendly staff.

The negatives are endless:
Crazy room rate, food and drink prices
Terrible decor
No atmosphere in any of the hotel bars and restaurants
Terrible breakfast (the worst in all the the seven Syrian hotels we used)
Possibly the worst bed I have ever slept in
Filthy swimming pool
Poor facilities

If you have a choice I would recommend avoiding this hotel or at least making sure you pay the lowest rate you can

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 13 January 2010

Do not stay there!
PROS
- None
CONS
- The hotel is classified as 5-star, but it is incredibly shabby and run down. Looks like it was a 5* in the 60s.
- Pricing, as in all Cham Hotels, is totally crazy. You call the central reservation office and you get a rate, than the day after upon checkin you are presented with a totally different price which can be double as in this case. So we called the reservation office in front of the receptionist, so that he could hear the rate that we were supposed to pay. Of course he had to agree, but he messed up with the meal plan, and we had to pay breakfast separately (and they charged us an incredible amount of money for a poor breakfast).

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2009

The hotel was clean, comfortable with relatively spacious rooms and reasonable restaurant, together with good views of the Euphrates on the relevant side.

Main complaint would be that the hotel pool was closed (ok. maybe I am the only person who likes to swim outdoors in late October, but this is Syria with warm days even then!, so I haven't let this affect the rating) and the restaurant wine list / bar was very expensive compared to elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I was forced to spend a night in Deir Ezzor after having insufficient time to make it to Palmyra before night fall. Unfortunately.

Like other reviewers hint at, where else is there to stay in Deir Ezzor? And I think the staff here know it, since the service is pretty dire. We wanted to leave reasonably early, so enquired the night before what time breakfast started. We were told 06:30 so were down promptly at this time, only to find nothing prepared and no staff in sight. We had to go into the room behind the front desk to wake up the guy who was supposed to be working on the desk, who then tried to track down the catering guy (by phoning the bar on the other side of the lobby (we could hear the phone ring) rather than getting off his bum to go and look for him).

Needless to say, we never received the breakfast since after 30 minutes delay we said we'd just have a coffee instead. They served a (horrible) coffee... and then had the cheek to charge us for it... $2 for a turkish coffee!

The hotel itself is OK... typically 1980s in style and decor and in desperate need of a refurbishment. The rooms are a good size, clean and have TV and mini-bar, but again, very 1980s and a bit cold (it was winter).

Judging by the car park, I think we were the only people staying there.

Can't comment on the food since we didn't eat there... we had a huge lunch at a restaurant next to the old French bridge, so just had some nibbles at the (alcohol serving) bar in the evening.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
London, England
Reviewed 20 August 2008

We needed to be based in Deir Ezzor to visit the historical sites on the Euphrates. There are 2 Cham hotels there, this is supposed to be the best and it does have the advantage of great views of the river.

The room was fine - well equipped, clean. But the restaurant was empty, and Deir Ezzor doesn't offer many options and though the food was acceptable it was a little lacking in atmosphere, they also try to get you to pay cash for drinks.

The swimming pool! While the water was clean (but cold) everything else was a disgrace - dirty changing rooms, scant supply of loungers, sun umbrellas that looked like they had been there for 20 years - shabby!

We wouldn't go back - I would rather make the long haul from Palmyra.

• Liked — Position
  • Disliked — Shabby swimming pool
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reading, UK
Reviewed 21 April 2008

Almost empty, rather grand (but slightly faded) hotel on the banks of the Euphrates. Food is served rather than by access to a buffet, so there is a little less choice of what you might eat, and how much. Rooms are very clean, good river views.

• Stayed April 2008

Been to Fourat Cham Palace -Deir Ezzor? Share your experiences!