“Here's the litmus test to decide . . .”
Review of Coconut Inn

Coconut Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Noord
Cookeville, Tennessee
“Here's the litmus test to decide . . .”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Reviews of this place are all over the map. I was forced to stay here and think I have the litmus test for others to decide if this place is for them or not. Here goes:

On arrival, the housekeeper took us to our room. As the opened the door, a small lizard fell from the doorway and scurried under the bed.

If this makes you shudder and fear the cleanliness of the place, you are best served by staying at one of the many fine, sterile and comfortable resorts in Aruba. And by paying the $400-$600+ a night they charge for it. If, on the other hand, you find this an amusing and somewhat endearing welcome to the tropics, you'll be fine.

Here's the rap on this place: the facilities are very dated. Like, 1950s motel, Jack Kerouac On the Road dated. Neon sign flashing "Air Condition" with the "ed" burned out. But the beds are clean (no bedbugs), the air conditioner works as does the fridge and TV.

As some other reviewers have noted with jaws agape in shock and horror, there is no "HOT WATER" (gasp!). What this place lacks is superheated water. Because the drinking water has to be desalinated here, it is quite expensive, so this place uses water tanks on top of the building for their washing water (like many places in the tropics). The water in the afternoon is very comfortable - 80+ degrees, like a swimming pool in August. It's fine, and doesn't run out.

There is a very eager and very noisy rooster nearby. Again, welcome to the tropics.

I have stayed in very nice luxury hotels, some dumps where I slept with one eye open, and camp often. This place is fine if you do not require all of the luxuries Americans have come to expect from a hotel. Coconut Inn is safe, clean and cheap. The staff is friendly and helpful. The internet works fine. It's not for everyone, but then again, neither is adventure. If you want to get the flavor of real Aruba, stay here and savor the difference.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank Hank F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 24 November 2012

You pay what you get for. We stayed for 5 nights and the room had everything we needed. two beds, a tv, wifi, kitchen, and bathroom. They even gave you a small breakfast ( eggs, sausage, and toast) but the pool was not too clean though. Plus you do not go on vacation to stay at a fancy hotel. You go to explore and coconut inn makes you want to stay out the whole day until its time to go to sleep. The only bad thing is that you really need a car if you plan to stay here. Everything is pretty far by foot and Eagle beach is about 15 minutes walking. But other than that it was a great stay and I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Pick the rooms that are in front of hotel those are the nicest.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Natalie D
gwinn mi.
Reviewed 10 April 2012

need a lot of work to the place/pool was dirty/no ice machine/ needs new things to put rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank creamen

Travellers are raving about these Noord hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed at the Coconut Inn for 5 nights. First the good things to be fair and objective. The staff was nice, the breakfast was o.k., the pool nice and the rooms were clean. The island is small so it is convenient but only because we had a car. Now here is the bad stuff. #1 for me was NO HOT WATER. They don't even have hot water tanks. I was told that the sun warms the water and if I waited til 4 pm it would be warm. I waited all day and it was lukewarm to cool. The room was not the one that was presented in the picture when we booked. It was supposed to be an apt. with a sitting area and sofa but it was one room with two beds. The Internet was almost impossible to use. I had to sit outside in the rain under a tiki hut to be able to work. I really did not like the crime bars on the windows. It was a poor area but I did not feel unsafe. I don't think there is a lot of crime in this area. I was worried about getting out in a fire as there was only one entrance for my unit. The rooms have not been updated probably since the 60's or earlier. Very retro especially if you like antique appliances. The pool chairs were falling apart which just looked bad. We found chairs that could be sat on and used them. I would not come back here unless I was broke! But it can be tolerable if you have to stay there.

Room Tip: Please make sure that they give you the room you think you are getting.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank lynnsmith1
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I needed two extra nights right after Christmas because our other hotel was booked. Because I waited too long to make reservations, we ended up in the Coconut Hotel. BIG MISTAKE! First of all, you can't find the place and no one in the area knew where it was. We finally asked a taxi cab driver (we were in our own car) and he gave us directions. Upon seeing this "rat hole" we were extremely apprehensive but thought, "How bad could this be?" Oh, it was bad! The front desk attendant (once we found the office behind barred windows and door) was extremely rude. We asked to see the room and he refused. He told us to take it or leave it. We looked back outside and listened to the sound of M-80s gong off in the neighborhood, at the peeling paint on the doors that DIDN'T have bars and at the run-down look of these dilapidated buildings and cracked pool and decided that we WOULD leave. My suggestion is to stay as far away from this hotel as possible! Maybe back in 2001 this was a "quaint" little Aruba motel, but now it is a run-down shack.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Nelscole
montreal
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I was quite anxious because of the last message about Coconut inn. But I had a really good time in this Hotel. Rooms are clean, staff is very friendly, clients too. You can go to the city by Bus and to the beach by walking 20 minutes, It,s very safe. The breakfast is OK, not bad, not good. The swimmingpool exist, it's a good news. I don't like resorts and I didn't like Aruba a lot because it's like an american Island only for tourists and very expensive. But the hotel was good.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
7 Thank celhuy
PA
Reviewed 6 September 2007

My daughter and I was booked to stay here on Sept 1-4 and when we arrived at this dump....We went right in and cancelled our reservations.
It is out in the middle of no where land..doesn't look safe to stay there...
We ended up at the Talk of the Town..100% better and close to everything.

My advise....going cheap is not the way to go!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — in a dark place..and far away from everything!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
12 Thank eclipse_grl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Noord
Aruba Blue Village
Talk of the Town Hotel & Beach Club
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
#21 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Coconut Inn? Share your experiences!