“Great Stay for Budget Travellers”
Review of Aruba Blue Village

Aruba Blue Village
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Noord
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Aruba Blue Village is a great place to stay for budget travellers with no expectations of a 5-star resort. The rooms were clean, the refrigerator, microwave, a/c, and other appliances all worked. The furniture was basic and not the most comfortable, but we didn't spend much time in the room. The pools were clean and the bar service was excellent, if not somewhat more pricey than expected, considering the surroundings. The bar was very rowdy on the weekends - definately not a place for children. Housekeeping services were non-existant for the most part. There was a great asian bakery within walking distance of ABV, and the market next door was convenient but a little pricey. Madame Jeannette's restaurant next door had spectacular food and drinks - be prepared to fork over some cash though.

The hotel offered free shuttle service 2x per day, which had to be booked in advance. Considering the "island" atmosphere, I found it odd that they would not wait for you even if you were only 1-2 minutes late of the departure time. But it is a nice perk, since ABV is a LONG walk to the beach and an expensive cab ride to Oranjestad. I would definately recommend renting a car, at least for a few days.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay and I would definately recommend for the budget traveller. I would perhaps like to return to Aruba someday, but may opt for more luxiourious accomodations.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JTK_SD

Reviewed 10 March 2008

It all depends on you and the purpose of your trip.
I went to Aruba to meet up with an old friend and hang out with his nephew who is on the island. We are both 30 yr. old guys who were looking to get away from the cold and needed a place to sleep after a day/night of snorkeling, exploring, drinking. For the most part we are both low maintenance and easy going. I was just happy my fiance let me go to Aruba by myself...since neither one of us had been there.

LOCATION: Blue Village is not on the beach....is it far from the beach...no. Is it within walking distance...depends. If I was older with problems walking long distances or had an infant/toddler to watch for then I probably would not walk to the beach. I didn't walk to the nearest beach...but I guess it would be at least a 20 minute walk. We rented a car so we did not need taxis called for us at the front desk either. Renting a car is probably the best way to see Aruba. I am not the tour group kind of guy. I prefer to be on my own schedule...if I see something I like then I would prefer to stay there for extra time versus moving on to the next tour stop.

CHECK IN: Very basic. I arrived at the front desk and I checked in. Do not expect a cold towel or beverage or overly warm welcome. For me it was simple, the guy at the counter spoke Spanish, I speak Spanish...it worked out fine. Check in took 5-10 minutes. They hand you a room key that looks like a dog tag...takes some people time to figure it out how to use it...so pay attention to the instructions at the desk when they hand you the key.

GROUNDS: Nice...simple. The property is small compared to other beach front hotels on the island. It actually reminded me of hotels down in Wildwood, NJ for those of you that have been there. There are plenty of chairs around the pool and the pool is clean. Not the newest pool, so the lining is bubbled up at some points...but it is still refreshing. We were there during low season so getting a pool chair was easy. But again, my buddy and I were not there to go to a pool. I can use a pool at the YMCA, we wanted beaches, blue water and snorkeling. We did not go to the bar at the hotel...but it seemed ok.

Room: This is where it gets interesting. The rooms are large. I am hoping to add some pictures to the review. We had a kitchenette (which we did not use but I did notice a small two burner range, coffee maker, microwave and dishes) an eating table inside and out for 4, futon and two twin beds. Like I said, we were looking for a place to sleep after drinking. If I would have gone to Aruba with my fiance then I don't think the beds would have been comfortable or nice enough for either of us. Because the purpose of the trip would have taken a more romantic tone...as opposed to just a place to sleep and shower. Now the bathroom is probably the only thing I did not like. I can deal with 1 towel each, I can deal with no hand towels. I even carried a small gecko out of the bathroom one day. But...the shower...I do not like when shower curtains creep up on me. That really gets to me. The shower curtain was flimsy and any little draft wrapped it around me as I was showering. The water in the shower, sink and kitchen sink were all room temperature...never really cold...defintely never warm. Didn't expect this at a hotel but I was ok with it because until recently my family in Puerto Rico did not have water heaters either...and I visit them often. But again, if I was with my fiance, then she needs warm to hot water. The water pressure was great though. The closet was just that...a closet, it had a couple of hangers and not much...poorly organized but functional. No safe in our room. The safe in the closet had the door removed as if it was not to be used.
All in all...it all depends what you are looking for. Would I recommend this place for honeymooners...No. For those of you that have been to Europe and stayed in a hostel...I would think of this place as a hostel in the Caribbean with a pool. It is a place to sleep and shower.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank JuanandLiz
Reviewed 7 March 2008

We have been in Blue Village in February 2008.
We did not expect any luxuries, but Blue Village is the worst what we have ever seen.
The accouterment and furnishing is the last one. You have to ask for simple things like an ashtray or coffe-machine. There is no hot water in the kitchen, no bung in the discharge, the refrigerator noisy like an airbus, the TV has dropouts and lot's more of bad things.
The cleaning is not that it has to be and the staff like slipping pills.
They have about 100 apartments but only 1 or 2 racks to dry clothes and 1 flat-iron. In deed, very cheap things.
They have a bar with music directly closed to the apartments, opening at 10/11 am and closing at night. That means no quietness all day long.

Resumed, Blue Village is not to recommend for a relaxing vacation. We will come back to Aruba for sure, but with a great curve arround Blue Village.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank CaribeJoe02
Reviewed 5 January 2008

It is certainly a "budget" hotel although we were paying 150$/night for a 1 room suite. The bar is alright with some activity every night, the pools are ok, and the staff is usually helpful (although they refused to give us more than one clean towel at a time and our room was only cleaned once in the 6 nights we were there).
But we had several problems:
#1 There is no hot water. It is supposedly heated by the sun but I tried at all times of the day and never got anything above tepid and at night it was ice cold.
#2 The beds are very hard. In our first room the bed was circular and it felt like we were sleeping on a box spring. The staff did switch us to a different room that had a thin but at least bearable mattress.
#3 Despite the upgrade the A/C units do not seem to be adequate for the room size. In our second room it constantly was breaking and making loud clicking sounds, dripping water on to the floor and eventually spitting water on to the bed making for a very unpleasant last night.
#4 Our rooms were infested with mosquitos coming from an unknown source. We spent a good deal of time killing them only to have more appear even without any doors or windows open.
#5 The rooms seemd in disrepair. Some of the walls and ceilings were in desperate need of a paint job with stains and cracks. Neither room had all the lights working with one room only having tiny red tinted lights. In one room the toliet paper was on the floor because the holder was broken.
I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank aaa09
Reviewed 4 August 2006

I've been staying at ABV several times a year since 2004. They have gone through several upgrades and any negative review prior to 2006 should not be considered accurate. The staff is great, the food at the bar is great, rooms have had a makeover and that project is ongoing, lobby is new and they now have a very large "MINI MART" with lots of choices. Relaxing atmosphere with 2 clean pools. The neighborhood around ABV is now new houses and one of the finest restaurants on the Island is next door. Madame Jeanett's. Still the BEST FOR THE BUCK- US $ OR FL. I used to just stay there for business and stay at a resort when on vacation. NOW IT'S ABV ALL THE WAY!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank noordlady
A TripAdvisor Member
Nederland
Reviewed 18 October 2005

we stayed in a 2 room appartement with 2 adults and 3 childern (11,12 en 15) en we really liked it. It is quiet en clean. It is simple and basic but if you know that in advance there is no problem at all.
The personel is very kind, there is a little but very nice, cheap restaurant.
The only thing you should know is you really need a car.
But when you want to see the eiland, you need a car anyway. (ca. 200 dollar a week) Next time we will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 March 2005

I booked 1 week in ABV for the first week of my holiday and I have to say that it's was very bad, I only stayed 2 nights and moved away to a proper holiday resort, The staff was helpfull but the "studio" we had was horrible with old furniture and everything old, 75$ a night was a lot of money to pay for this dump. I don't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2004
3  Thank Beatriztrips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Noord
Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
#21 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Blue Village? Share your experiences!