“Fat crabs”
Review of Fenwick Crabhouse

Fenwick Crabhouse
Price range: US$5 - US$35
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Notably the last restaurant on Coastal Highway in Fenwick Island, Delaware before entering Ocean City, Maryland, Delaware may have saved the best for last. The award winning Fenwick Crabhouse has been an icon in the resort for almost 50 years. Though being named a "favorite seafood dive in the US" for an unprecedented fourth straight year by Coastal Living Magazine, the Fenwick Crabhouse is hardly a dive. While the atmosphere is casual, they have an appealing menu of carefully prepared meals catering to a variety of tastes. You will find great wines, craft beers, their hallmark "The Perfect Crab cake" (NY Times), Delaware Magazine's 2011 "Best Ribs," and of course, those wonderful steamed crabs. Their mission is to provide a unique blend of creatively prepared dishes using fresh, locally grown foods and award-winning beverages to the table. The Fenwick Crabhouse is a seasonal restaurant off-season hours change before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. Call for hours.
Salisbury, Maryland
“Fat crabs”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We bought a dozen jumbos crabs and they were so fat we had to take 5 home with us. The crabs are pricy but no different than anywhere else! Try it!

Visited October 2013

Selbyville, Delaware, United States
“FOOD ALLSOOOM”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

LOVE THE FOOD, lots of appetizers,all kinds of different drinks! Pasta, deserts,ribbs, seafood all made from scratch. Best crabcakes, soft crabs! LOVE THE BAR!!

• Visited September 2013
bethlehem
“Great for crabs”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Great for crabs ok for other food items . Not my first pick. could be cleaner inside the outside is rustic crab house look so lets not think the bathrooms should look the part

Visited September 2013
Ocean View, Delaware
“The End of An Era”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I loved this place as a child. No longer. An example of the readers of Delaware Today getting it really wrong!

I went by myself and, other than Jessica the bartender, the staff and the food were both atrocious. Let’s start with the food. The clams were so dirty that there was a layer of sand at the bottom of my bowl. The crabs were regular sized, had no Old Bay, and had been steamed far too long. The crab dip was small and had no crab. In short, awful.

The staff were worse. The manager refused to let me pick crabs at the bar although I was the only person sitting there. I dutifully moved to a table, where I overheard this exchange:

Manager to waitress: “You have to pick her up.”
Waitress: “I’m done. Give it to someone else. I can’t be bothered with one person.”

This is not a restaurant to which I am ever likely to return.

• Visited September 2013
Crab34, Owner at Fenwick Crabhouse, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
I understand that when you don't get what you want, it tends to ruin the whole experience.Some people can immediately develop a negative attitude by being being turned down for even the slightest request.
We don't let customers eat crabs on the granite top bar. We tried it. It made the bar too hard to clean and it was very noisy.It is hard on the people sitting next to you when the bar is crowded. We have found that when we make exceptions for people because it's not busy or its early..., that they come back and demand their exception all the time. Having said that, I can see where it set the tone for your dinning experience.
Steam clams are harvested off the sandy bottom of the bay. Our clam guy soaks the clams in bay water so they tend to purge themselves of sand- but not always. Neither he nor we know if they have sand left in them. Hence to clam juice in the bowl of clams. It's there to rinse your clams in before dipping them in butter. I am almost 60 years old and have been eating clams almost as long. It's been that way forever.
Your crabs were our smallest ones we had that day. That's what you ordered. When there wasn't enough crab spice or you thought they weren't prepared properly, you should have said something to either the server of the manager rather that tell them how good they were. I know you had it it you mind that you were looking for something bad to write about in TripAdvisor and you were going to do it. You were asked multiple times if you were enjoying your meal and every time you responded that it was great. I don't think its fair to my establishment to respond to the question in that manner and to then post this unkind of response. A response that will be posted forever.

Your server had just been seated with three other tables at once and you overheard the hostess ask her if she could manage another. Her response was that she didn't think she could, she was too busy. The rest you made up because I was there.
Finally the crab dip. You ordered a small. It is baked in a hollowed out French roll. The idea is that you eat the roll with the crab dip. It's a lot to eat and plenty of dip-to-roll ratio. When you just pick out the dip, a lot of dip is left in the roll. You can't remove even half of the dip fromf the roll when you eat it that manner. I can see where you may be disappointed if you didn't eat it the way it was intended. But that was your choice. As far as crab meat, there is an equal amount of lump crab to cream cheese in our recipe. This is a very generous portion and more than any other restaurant that I have ever tested. And I've check out a lot of them. We are known to have the best anywhere which leads me to believe that we couldn't have pleased you with any product.
I am truly sorry you didn't have a good experience with us. Most of the negatives could have been avoided with a comment to someone. But quite frankly I think you were here to play part-time food critic( you told Jessica as such then also told her you work(ed) in a competitors Bethany Beach Restaurant). A job for which you are not qualified.
Youngstown, Ohio
“Every dish was perfect!”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Leaving Ocean City after a recent stay, my mother and I stopped at Fenwick Crabhouse for lunch. Why have I never eaten here before? The decor is appropriately tacky (not overly so) and the food was fantastic. We started with a half pound of steamed shrimp. They were large and cooked and seasoned to perfection. For my entree, I had a crab cake sandwich, which was among the best I've ever had (and I've had many!). Even the cole slaw and onion rings were delicious. I can't wait to go return, and I plan on doing so when I'm back in Ocean City in a few weeks.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank omanskme

Been to Fenwick Crabhouse? Share your experiences!