“Decent value, but needs repair and better housekeeping.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fenwick Islander Motel

Fenwick Islander Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fenwick Island
Wilmington
“Decent value, but needs repair and better housekeeping.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

First, let me start by saying that my wife and I have stayed at the Fenwick Islander many times throughout the past years, often several times per year. We've loved it and considered it a great value (considering proximity to the beach and other motels in the area). The staff is and always has been wonderful - very welcoming, kind, and helpful. A few years ago, they updated the rooms by painting the walls and trim, painting lamps, installing new screen doors, installing new air conditioning units, wallpapering the bathrooms, painting the vanities, and installing new fixtures. This year, they added new bedding/pillows, although, I'm not impressed with the trendy new duvet covers. But one thing remains the same year after year: the old fiberglass tub/shower enclosures that just can't be cleaned. They're all filthy, caked with soap scum, dirt and mildew. After our first visit this year, we brought along Tilex and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to clean the tub - after a half hour of cleaning, it appeared a bit better, but certainly not clean. The interior rim of the toilet also required a full cleaning (the filth that remained on the sponge was disgusting). This year, we noticed that the shower curtain had not been changed all season - same exact one with the same mold/mildew marks in the same spots. Nor had the extra blanket been changed or cleaned - ours had a very distinctive marking on it in the beginning of the season and it was still there at the end of the season. The balcony was dirty during each stay and we brought a broom to sweep the cigarette butts off of it. The newer screen doors are already showing significant signs of wear and the carpeting needs to be steam cleaned or replaced because it too has become very dirty. There are bathroom/shower facilities for guests to use at the pool and after check-out, but they're rarely cleaned and the showers/shower curtains are terribly dirty, covered in mildew. Now, I can imagine the difficulty in obtaining quality housekeeping, as it's they're typically seasonal positions, but it appears that someone is not supervising the housekeeping staff and/or inspecting the rooms prior to new check-in. Fenwick Islander, we have a long history with you and we're willing to give you another chance, but at a very minimum, please address your issues of cleanliness. We don't need fancy accommodations at the beach, but we do need clean accommodations.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank NJMess2003
DSites, Manager at Fenwick Islander Motel, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your kind words about our wonderful staff and your loyal business with us! . It is disheartening to hear of the disappointment in your last stay. I can assure you cleanliness is a high priority to us. We address any issues of concern with our housekeeping staff and will work diligently to prevent oversights to slip through the cracks in the future. We take pride in being a small, clean, family based motel. Each season we try to make improvements for our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Shelton, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

this was our 3rd visit to the Fenwick Islander Motel in Delaware. Clean, friendly service. No coffee pot in room, but they have it in the lobby. King size bed, microwave, sink, refrigerator with small freezer compartment included. The pool is lovely and clear. The staff was great; knowledgeable about the area etc.we will certainly stay there again as we have relatives nearby. There is a Royal Farms convenience store right across the street for any thing you need . Close to beach and shops too. Take a room at the back for the canal view.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back can see the canal and are more quiet. No elevator and there are 3 floors.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EmpressBarb
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed here with two small children around Labor Day. The front desk staff was very nice and you can't beat the proximity to the beach...but DIRTY!! our room was full of mold! Mold on the drapes,in the shower,on the mini fridge...everywhere. I even found half eaten crackers on the floor(that didnt belong to us)- if things like this matter to you- go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank AlexandAce

Travellers are raving about these Fenwick Island hotels

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

The location was perfect and the cost affordable even on a busy Labor Day weekend. Beds ok. Inexpensive looking toiletries but they worked. Parking was difficult when we got home around 11 pm so I would suggest you either keep your car parked or be sure to come back early if you want to have a parking place at the hotel. They told us the parking lot fills up often. There is coffee available in the morning but no food. Plenty of place in walking distance for breakfast or a special coffee drink. The staff was friendly which helped make the stay pleasant. Also a small pool is available at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Gimberlin
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

My boys and I stayed here for the night this past August. The motel was very clean and the staff was friendly. We ordered some pizzas from a local pizza place and sat by the pool at the nice tables they have set up and enjoyed dinner outside. The motel is close to everything. Will stay again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank shellb4
Beltsville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I booked 2 nights midweek. I've been going to Ocean City for over 50 years, and this is the second time I've stayed on Fenwick Island. I love the atmosphere; very quiet and friendly for all ages as opposed to the frenetic atmosphere of OC. I would definately chose Fenwick Islander over the other bay-side hotel I stayed in last trip.

While the lfront office smells like there was a chain smoker in the place's recent past, my room was very clean and smelled as if it was all freshly renovated. Don't let that put you off.

The small micro and frig worked fine; remember to bring things like paper plates, plastic utensils, papertowels, cups, bottle opener, etc! All new flooring in the bath and kitchen. Small sink on the counter, cabinet underneath, and shelf overhead for storage. No in-room coffee maker for you javaheads, but I noticed coffee in the lobby, and there are plenty of shops like Royal Farms, Dunkin Donuts, and some local spots within a block or 2.

The bathroom was a standard and clean one, with a good sized counter, single sink, cabinet underneath, full tub and shower. Plenty of hot water every time I showered, and at different times of day.

King bed mattress was wonderful; on the firm side and better than mine at home! Linens were clean, crisp white and quite comfy. Sofa bed, desk, 2 chairs finished out the furnishings. There was a small clothes cubby that backed up to the kitchen, with half a dozen hangers, and a shelf above.

I don't watch much TV, but did turn it on for an hour one evening.TV was small, and mounted high on the wall; hard angle to view from sitting on the sofa (turned towards the TV)...perhaps it's better for viewing from the bed? Appeared to be a basic selection of channels; I was only watching cooking competitions so I didn't flip through.

Balcony was furnished with 2 adirondack chairs, and faced the canal and sunsets. Absolutely gorgeous. I enjoyed watching classes of stand-up paddlers come down the canal for a turn, as well as some ducks and gulls. Little fish were jumping up right in front of one paddler at sunset one night; I had to go inside so the poor guy didn't think I was laughing at him, as he was weebly as it was :) August late-afternoon sun can be harsh....I pulled the curtains closed, then I used clothespins (always keep a half dozen in my bath kit) to pin the curtains halfway up.This cut down on the heat, glare, and need for AC. I wanted to sit in front of the water all day and night! But....

I recently bought a sport-cruiser bicycle, and Fenwick is THE place to enjoy riding, especially learning to ride again! Nice wide bike lanes, excellent crosswalks and town attention to provisions for the safety of bike riders. Whether riding Route 1, or back into the ocean- and canal-side neighborhoods, it's enjoyable, flat land. There were town-provided bike racks at each beach ramp; I wish there were more at merchants as well as at one at the hotel. The hotel is not an elevator building, and the only place to lock up bikes was along the stair rail on the first floor, so only really 2 spots for bikes and I'm not sure if management and housekeeping appreciates that.

The internet was perfect, speedy, and never cut me off. More than I can say for the Comcast I have at home!!!

Hmm, what's left to say,,,,,didn't hear much of my neighbors, and the place looked full, or close to, both evenings I stayed. Super quiet at night; no traffic noise canal-side.

Pool was very welcome after bike rides, well kept, with new lounge chairs, umbrellas.

Plenty of dining options within walking distance, within blocks.

One parking spot per room; parking pass was received at check in to place on the dashboard. I do have to say that I didn't like that my name was printed on the pass; perhaps that aids management in policing the lot, but sure didn't make me feel safe in the identity-theft and single traveler realm. Perhaps just the car tag # and/or description would be more appropriate.

Entire property was well-kept; exterior appeared to be recently painted (as well as the interior of my room). I do expect some wear by the end of a summer season, but Fenwick Islander exceeded my expectations. I have stayed in some of the higher-priced chain hotels in August and Septembers past, and they could take some lessons from the kind staff here!

There was a gourmet market about half mile north; large chain groceries stores were just a few minutes down Rt 54, and also about a mile west of Rt 1 on 26. (Bethany Beach).

Bring quarters for the ice, snack, and beverage machines; or purchase bags of ice (you'll need a cooler for that) across the street at Royal Farms.

Oh, the beach! I went at about 5 pm one sunny afternoon, and forgot that when the winds blow from the west, the black flies are biting. WOW were they biting! I didn't last 10 minutes. It is a lovely, wide beach, clean, with just a few PERMIT parking places at each street-end. You have to go the police station (just a few blocks from motel) and pay for a day pass, or walk your gear the one block from the hotel.

I will definately stay at the Fenwick Islander next time I head to the Delaware/Maryland beach area!

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces the canal side; but only a few rooms on each floor have a canal-front pe...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank CatLadyChristi
Carrick on Shannon, Leitrim, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We didn't expect to stay the night in Fenwick Island, but were tired of driving and thought the town looked cute... we saw a vacancy sign and a pool with a family laughing and enjoying themselves- it looked quant and friendly. We were pulling a trailer behind our car, so ease of getting in and out, and the security of the parking lot were important too. The staff was friendly and helpful- suggesting the easiest place to park, the room was clean and well equipped and it was steps away from the uncrowded part of the beach. You could see the huge crowds overpopulating the beach down near the beachfront high rises... we enjoyed food, shopping, mini-golf and go-karting in walking distance and had a good night sleep. It was good value and a great location. I would definitely return if I am ever in Fenwick again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites
Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites
#1 of 103 in Ocean City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,934 reviews

Been to Fenwick Islander Motel? Share your experiences!