“Bad experience!”
Review of Pousada da Torre

Pousada da Torre
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Never again! Horrible experience with my family and friends.
Overpriced, service mediocre, poor breakfast... ,a waste of $$$.
The jacuzzi is cold! The jacuzzi and sauna are also only turned on at 5pm each day and are only on for a couple of hours. The giant negative: The service is dire.
My friends walked to the reception to book two rooms. The price was twice increased from that which had been agreed and we were given rooms of a lesser class than those that we had been shown and agreed the price on. I could not believe!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Well located in the Second Beach, with a nice pool area, this has been my choice for 2 times. I used booking.com to get a good rate. Some rooms have a moldy smell, so ask to check. The new air-conditioners are very eficcient and quiet. The breakfast is very good. This is the place to stay if you want to go out in the night for dinner in the village up the hill or in the Second Beach.

Room Tip: The more distant to the beach side-walk, the better for a quiet night.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The location of this hotel is fantastic, it is on the 2nd beach with easy walking access all over the island. It took only about 10 minutes to walk into town and it was also a short walk to the other beaches. At night they have a beachside pub crawl and beach parties several nights during the week. There are several restaurants within walking distance so you can definitely shop around to find something that you like.

We enjoyed the beach and pool and the tropical grounds. The hotel rooms were OK and they were clean. Customer service was below average and typically very slow. I would have rated the hotel higher if the service was better. I expect more for the price and the location.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kyotonigel
Reviewed 1 October 2012

The positives:

1. Location - on second beach, 10 mins walk into the town. Beautiful beach with some bars and restaurants for drinks and dinner.
2. Upkeep of the pousada is generally good - however, note that the jacuzzi is cold! The jacuzzi and sauna are also only turned on at 5pm each day and are only on for a couple of hours.

The giant negative:

The service is dire. We walked into reception to book two rooms. The price was twice increased from that which had been agreed and we were given rooms of a lesser class than those that we had been shown and agreed the price on.

You are only allowed one beach towel per person per day. After a swim, I used my towel to dry off and then gave it back to the reception and asked for a clean one to take to the beach. The receptionist took my towel, then said that I could not have another one until the next day and refused to give me back the one I had given her which was still in her hand!

Not a bad option but I think that you can do better for your money elsewhere in Morro. We left with the distinct feeling that they were trying to screw us for more money at every turn.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank travelmadlondoner56
Reviewed 22 March 2010

My boyfriend and I were very disappointed with this choice of Pousada. When we arrived, all appeared to be good. The room was lovely but expensive at 260 reais when you dont even have a balcony but I think you are paying more for the location as the location really is unbeatable. First impressions seemed promising. The pool area looks nice and everything looks modern and clean.

I found one of the receptionists to be hostile (the younger one) and blood out of a stone would have been more accessible than a smile or warm greeting from her which I find quite unacceptable generally but especially when paying this kind of money.

I was disappointed to find that the bar closes promptly at 11pm which for a holiday resort seems extremely early and it is poorly lit with no music at all which makes it seem kind of flat when you should be gearing up for the evening ahead.

The breakfast was poor. Nothing made to order and usually only 2 or 3 choices of fruits, some cakes, cheese, ham and some scrambled eggs and frankfurters.

The air conditioning leaked in our room and I told the maid and she seemed to think it was the norm and came with a towel to mop up.

Also if you are an early bird (if you are usually up before 9 then this doesnt apply) but occasionally we liked to lie in (after a heavy night ;-)) and after 9 the noise is silly. Cleaners very noisy and the walls are paper thin in the rooms.

We ate in the restaurant a few times and the food was very good however we had a terrible experience one evening which I am still shocked about.

I ordered a chicken kiev with rice and chips and it turned up and looked and smelled delicious. I tried it and I thought; what is that? The texture was really strange. I looked closer and then cut a piece for my boyfriend to try. We then cut the kiev open and the chicken was completely raw. It was not undercooked and pink, it was completely raw like a slimey fillet out of the fridge. I immediately panicked as of course there is not any meat raw as dangerous as chicken and called over the waiter expecting him to be horrified. My boyfriend is Brazilian and explained the situation and the waiter said. What do you want to do? Do you want me to take it back for more cooking? I could not believe it. I said to my boyfriend to tell him no way. Raw chicken can actually kill you!

He took it away and appeared to be unhappy about it. I would have thought a restaurant would be horrified and apologise profusely. Anyway we decided to eat somewhere else and asked for the bill (of course expecting him to not charge us for the 2 soft drinks we had) but he charged us for the raw chicken too. By this point I was disgusted with the attitude and the whole thing. My boyfriend went and told him that we are not paying for a raw chicken and he was sulky not sorry and said he would bring us a refund. He then proceeded to serve others, not deal with us so I decided to go in and ask for a manager as we had wasted an hour there and still hadnt had dinner. I went inside and asked him for the manager and he told me to calm down and relax in a very rude way. Told me to stop stressing and relax. The rude receptionist then got involved and didnt understand why we were upset when they offered to cook the same chicken again. That evening when we handed our key in the receptionist snatched it out of my boyfriends hand and ignored him when he was polite.

The following morning I spoke to the manager and she also didnt give a toss. I said we are paying 260 reais per night to stay and it wasnt the fact that a mistake had been made it was the way it was dealt with. They basically made us feel like we were making a fuss over nothing. Its a shame as there are a couple of barman who are lovely but whoever owns it obviously does not care about a warm and hospitable atmosphere.

Morro do Sao Paulo is a fantastic island but I would not spend your money here. If you dont care about customer service then its fine but if you do it is NOT the place for you. The place next door Villa Dos Corais is the place to stay. It is a little more expensive but a thousand times better than here. Stunning entrance, balconies, bar with music, proper sunbeds and a lovely vibe.

Torre has so much potential and if I owned this place I would be horrified how people are treated as apart from the service and some minor details it could be great. When you go on holiday you expect people to care about the experience you are having. I stayed in a place in Marrakech in October which I have reviewed on here and even though there were many things that needed work, because the team at the hotel were so fabulous and charming, you could overlook some of the minor flaws. What is the point in staying somewhere expensive and nice if you dont even get a smile?

MORRO IS AMAZING THOUGH - PARADISE :-) XX

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NenaMorena
Reviewed 27 January 2010

After an all-night flight from the U.S. to Salvador and an air taxi to Morro de Sao Paula, we were ready for a restful visit with members of our extended family. Our first impression of the beautiful island was that the Key West of the 1950’s had relocated, to Brazil. Transport of our bags from the small airport to our pousada was by wheelbarrow, down sand streets and between postcard beaches and a laid back collection of bars and restaurants. We were impressed upon our arrival at the appearance of Pousada da Torre, with its swimming pool out front and giant jacuzzi near the reception area. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and we checked into our rooms after some delay, as we had arrived 30 minutes or so prior to the advertised check in time.

Following a pleasant afternoon on the beach and in the water, the troubles began. After rinsing off for a soak in the jacuzzi, we were told it could not be turned on without help from maintenance men These were summoned, and the jets were soon operating. Unfortunately, the heater was not operating, so we had a short dip in the cold jacuzzi. It appeared this was never fixed during our three day stay and because of other maintenance issues, we didn’t bother to check the nearby sauna. The jacuzzi adventure was followed by a trip to the room, where we had a cold shower. We were told there was no hot water. The room safe was not operating properly, static on the room telephone made it difficult to hear even the front desk, and the advertised wi-fi did not connect to anything.

After the safe problem was addressed by maintenance, we walked into the main town for a nice meal. Upon our return, we found water dripping from the ceiling in the hallway, as well as over one of the beds in the room. With soaked bedding, and a wet mattress, we requested a move to the adjoining vacant room. This prompted a call by the night manager to the owner, who denied the request. After prolonged argument about this, we finally were allowed to move, but were told the adjoining room, although identical in every way, came at a higher price. We were already paying Ritz-Carlton prices for a substandard room, and absolutely refused to pay extra for the room, and finally were able to sleep in decent beds around 11 p.m.

By the second day, the Internet connection was working (and to be fair, there was a computer connected to the Internet near the front office, which one could use for 20 minutes at a time). The hot water became available intermittently, and the ceiling leak in the new room, from a rain the second night, only ran down the wall and didn’t hit the bed. We decided to give up on that issue.

If the owner of this place ever decides to correct the problems, it will surely deserve a 4 or 5 rating. The good points: great location, fine breakfast every morning with the room, good cooking for the evening meals, and very helpful and friendly staff except for the night manager. We recommend the rooms toward the back of the property, so you won’t be exposed to the loud music that cranks up next door after the sun goes down.. This would be a real gem with some proper attention. Based on TripAdvisor reviews of the other places on the island, our experience may be par for the course here. But at triple the price of a nice hotel room in Salvador, you have the right to expect more. We can’t say enough good things about the few days we had on the island; we’ve never been on one like it.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Charlie S
Reviewed 16 April 2009

The Pousada da Torre is one of the two good hotels at Segunda Praia (2nd. Beach), the best place you can stay in Morro de São Paulo. The room is well decorated, good bathroom and brakfast. walking distance to the little harbour. There are no streets in Morro, you leave the hotel and are in the sand, a feel meters from the sea. Very beautiful, it was a perfect weekend, the satff is very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple