“Lots of vibe, more than a hostel”

Che Lagarto Hostels
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We had stayed on Morro de Sao Paulo for a week around Xmas time just around the corner from Che Lagarto and the Hostel caught my eye every time I walked past. I said to myself, if we get a chance we must stay at this spot.

It turned out that after new years we spent 1 night on Morro de Sao Paulo, so I thought I would try get my wife and I a room. The very friendly and helpful staff assisted with booking a room. I was very impressed by the service I received at reception, the young staff were efficient and organised, the systems in place were effective and my checkin was seamless.

Our room was very clean and comfortable, especially the bed and pillows. The bathroom was quite small, but it was a hostel, so all that concerned me was the bathroom was really clean!

Downstairs there was an entertainment area, a bar and a breakfast room. The bar served very affordable drinks and put popcorn out for us to munch on. There was a great vibe downstairs and I believe this was due to the entertainment facilities like the pool table and ping pong table.

The breakfast in the morning was tasty and we got to chat to the lovely black kitty cat, so friendly. When we checked out we were able to leave our bags in a secure storage area for the morning while we headed down to the beach.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed at Che Lagarto for five nights, the booking website did not pass our booking through to the hostel so they had no idea we were coming, luckily the staff were very accommodating and immediately arranged a room for us and made us feel at ease! Great atmosphere, very good value for money, the people that work there are very helpful and really friendly, we had an amazing time! Will definitely go back, and have no problems recommending this place to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed in this hostel for 2 nights.
At arrival I had to wash some underwear and left it to dry at the balcony over the stairs.the mext day half of my underwear was gone but the staff said they didn't find anything... Really strange.

Breakfast is really poor. Just some dry breads with nothing on it (not even butter or jam)

I would not recommend this hostel to anybody because it is expensive compared to what you get.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Marlotte K
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed at Che Lagarto for 5 nights and had a great stay. Staff were friendly and helpful, wifi worked surprisingly well considering the location and I met some great people.

I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I am Gero from Amazon Gero Tours making a trip around Brazil left Manaus Dezember 20th to Palmas Tocantins , Salvaro for Revellion ,Morro de Sao Paulo - Bahia travelling with my family
we arrived in Morro de Sao paulo we had no place to stay then I took a room in a pousada which was excellent but I wil make their separated, as they only place for me and my family I had to go and look for a place , then I found
Che Lagarto , everything worked very they recommended by the next destination Che Lagarto Itacare which was just wonderful one of the best place I Have been in this tour 2013.
As I have 5 adults with me and 2 children now I have to look for a house with a complete house to bring more facilities to my family they introduced me to cruzthecoastbrazil.com a tour company which is listed by tripadvisor.com 32 nd position but with excellent reviews they gave and adress to rent a house for my family as travelling with children 3 and 4 years so need special care with them.
we had an excellent lunch with a excellent Argentine , Colombiana , and mixed with delicious Brazilina Baiana delicious food. great dishes Natalia , Carolina the Great Martin who treated my family as kings and queens
I highly recommned Che Lagarto.
Next day through CRUZ THE COAST BRAZIL we booked a .the tour of our lives

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool it just the mouse slippered. The best option to get a good room is to mak...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The hostel is short walk from the ferry dock on a fairly busy pedestrian street. Morro is a small town and everything is close by. The hostel is a three level building with dorms on the top two levels and common areas, bar, kitchen, TV room, dining area and deck in the lower back area. It was hard to find electric plugs in the common areas. The deck and the bar were nice and good places to meet other people. The clients are predominantly Brazilians. All rooms opened onto a common walkway. The kitchen was a bit small and not very well equipped.
My dorm (#206) was near the stairwell and facing the street. It was very noisy basically during all times of the day (from very early morning until early morning). The six bed dorm had A/C unit, window and private bathroom with electric H/W shower. It had dim lighting. The floors had newer light tiles. Walls were clean and painted white. My bed was comfortable. The mattress covers and pillows were older and not very clean. Linen was clean. Door into the dorm did not stay closed and kept on opening on its own (it had no key either…). Door into the bathroom was only lockable from the outside!
The hostel was clean and cleaned daily. Staff, with the exception of the night guard bully, was very nice, hospitable and helpful.
Wi-Fi was strong and reached my dorm. Breakfast was good and included in the rate.
The rate I was charged at check-in was an awkward amount and slightly higher than the rates posted on the internet. (Apparently, this is due to the US dollar exchange rate.) I was also charged additional one time 5 Reales administration fee. I was told it is for linen, internet etc.
It is important to arrive to your hostel without any of the local hustlers. If one of them will join you and won’t leave you alone (like it happened to me just in front of the hostel), tell the receptionist and insist that you arrived on your own. Otherwise you will be charged commission…
Overall this hostel was just OK for a couple of nights. Based on the high rating on this site I had higher expectations. I think it is overrated here. If I were to visit Morro again, I would try to look for a different accommodation. If you decide to stay, rooms in the back should be quieter.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank povetron
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We went with 3 more friends from argentina, and we had a great time, nice people, drinks, brazilian women, and the beaches are awesome!!
Ask for tony quincy at reception!! Good bye

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends