“Relaxing and adventurous...”
Review of Tambopata Ecolodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tambopata National Reserve
Tambopata Ecolodge
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Perfect for those who just want to chill out but also caters for those wanting to get out there and explore. The eco-lodge was well set-out, great guides (Julio & Hugo). I had a cockroach on my bed, but hey, it's the Amazon. The rooms were pretty nice actually, the food was great. They have a charging station for all your electronic devices, the bar looked pretty good, supply of games and books for your leisure. They also have a little pool, but I've heard that the water there is a bit dicey, enter at your own risk I guess. The guides we had were flexible and open to suggestions which is what you want. I wish I saw more wildlife, but, given the reality of the environment (primarily the climate and harsh downpour), it is what it is. We got to see caymans at night which was cool and also saw capybaras, spiders, and a porcupine on a tree (we were lucky!). I stayed 2 nights here, but to make the most of your stay I'd recommend staying longer if you can afford to.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Emily C

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed at the lodge as part of our G Adventures (Discovery Adventures) 14 day Inca and Amazon Adventure. First, we want to thank Enrique Munoz our CEO guide from Discovery Adventures, for sharing is knowledge and passion for Peru. The attention to detail that he provided throughout this tour was amazing. We were part of a group of 12 people on this tour, so keeping everyone happy could have been a challenge, but everything worked out great. Enrique is a true Ambassador to Peru.

The first day we left Lima, flew to Cusco then onwards to Puerto Maldonado where we met our 2 local guides (Edwin and Hugo) who were with us for the rest of our stay. Then we took a bus to the dock, and a 3hr boat trip to the lodge. We were served a wonderful lunch onboard the boat, and seen lots of wildlife along the way.

The bungalow accommodations were spacious, and fully-screened. They have private bathrooms, with plenty of solar powered hot water, and hammocks on the porch. There is no electricity in the bungalow rooms, but there are lots of candles. Bring a flashlight, or headlamp - you will need them. There is power at the main lodge at certain times where you can charge your batteries etc. The food was excellent and served buffet style, and there was always a good selection to pick from. We also toured a local farm that supplied the lodge with many of its fruits and vegetables that were served at the restaurant.

We attended the slideshow at the lodge and were taught about the rainforest environment and what we might see. One day we hiked to a "clay lick" where we were treated to an awesome show by the local macaws and parrots, eating the clay, to get minerals that they need in their diets. Another day we followed jungle trails to the tallest, biggest, tree that I ever did see. It would have taken 29 people holding hands to circle this tree. We seen many birds, monkeys, capybara, and spotted a caiman also. On our night walk we spotted tarantulas, snakes, and spiders.

Our guides Edwin and Hugo did an amazing job and were extremely knowledgeable, patient and friendly. We especially liked the fact that they sat and had meals with us. We had many enjoyable conversations with them and they could answer any questions that we had. They are a great asset to the Tambopata Eco Lodge.

We definitely recommend this lodge to anyone who wants to experience the jungle (with a nice bed).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Helen B
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed at the Tambopata Eco Lodge as part of our G Adventures tour. The lodge itself was very comfortable and well maintained and the rooms were spacious and equipped with sufficient mosquito nets to keep the creepy crawlers outside. The rainforest around the lodge was also very nice and especially the night activities were very good, however, it would have been nice to see more mammals and larger animals and a treetop tower for watching plants and animals of the canopy level would have been nice to have. Overall a very good experience. Beware of the drinking water (and juice served during the meals - it is watered down with the local water), though, as it is surface water with purification stones in it and may cause stomach problems. Many people in our group had some stomach problems during the stay (including us - we only drank bottled water but realized only in the last morning that the juice was watered down) so I would stay away from drinking the water or juice supplied by the lodge until they improve the purification system. Also, would stay out of the swimming hole in the nearby creek (just as you generally should avoid swimming in tropical fresh water) as you generally should in the tropics.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Olli H
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at the Tambopata Eco Lodge as part of our 3-day trip in the Amazon during our 15-day G Adventures Peru Panorama tour. The lodge itself was much nicer than expected (especially after the conditions on the Inca Trail) -- clean, spacious, screens to keep out mosquitoes, normal toilets and showers, and buffet meals with good food and beverages. Our guides were very friendly. I have to admit though, I expected to see more wildlife up-close in the Amazon, but I know that's not under the lodge's control. During the first day, we went on a boat ride where we spotted a few monkeys from afar and capybaras (the largest rodent in the world). We also did a night walk were we saw creatures like a tarantula, bat, and even a sloth (but it was barely visible). The second day, we did a morning walk through the jungle where we learned a lot about the flora and came across many massive trees. We also did a short boat ride where we saw some birds (Hoatzins), and a night boat ride where we spotted quite a few caimans (like alligators) up-close. It poured during one afternoon, so we stayed at the lodge. I was hoping to see some colourful macaws, and monkeys and sloths up-close but it probably requires going deeper and/or staying longer in the jungle to spot more creatures. It's extremely humid and sticky in the jungle. I wore dri-fit long-sleeve shirts and long hiking pants while in the jungle, though it was okay to wear a t-shirt and above-ankle pants at the lodge. Although the lodge itself was much nicer than expected and the guides were friendly and seemed to do a good job in showing us the jungle, I was expecting to see a lot more wildlife in the Amazon and I'm not convinced this is the place for it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Andrea W
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This place is a great way to experience the amazon. The lengthy motorised canoe ride into the jungle is actually really pleasant (and enjoy the breeze while you can!). Plenty of wildlife to be spotted along the way. The Lodge is really well set up! The cabins are very comfortable and clean. Be sure to lock away all foods/anything the smells - I had some jungle rats manage to chew through a bag =(with special any theft wire mesh stuff) to get at my pawpaw lip balm (I'd forgotten about it). The walks (especially the night ones) are great. I really enjoyed the nighttime canoe trip - was incredible! The guides are very good and extremely knowledgable, with excellent english. The food was good quality. But be prepared for the humidity! and bring plenty of bug spray! Overall a great (but surprisingly luxe) adventure!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank GoldCoastAA
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed last week for the 3 day/2 night program and thoroughly enjoyed our stayed. Our guide Joel was extremely knowledgable and could answer every question we had. He was also extremely patient and happy to wait when I spent half an hour trying to take a photo of a humming bird! The lodge is basic but was perfect for what we needed and it was good to have a break from technology. The food was delicious and varied. All the staff were very welcoming and keen to hear what we'd seen on each trip. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Tambopata Eco Lodge is a great lodge set in the beauty of the Amazon jungle. We were met at the airport by our guide, Jose, and after meeting the rest of our group at Puerto Maldonado, we set off for our journey to the lodge and the Amazon jungle. Jose is a great guide, very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of the area, and very personable with a great sense of humor. I learned a lot about the plants and the ways in which the locals use them. Jose and the other guides have eyes like hawks, being able to spot animals, even during the evening walk and evening boat ride, that I would never have imagined were there. Our group was lucky enough to even see monkeys during one of the walks. But the real appeal of being in the lodge was being able to experience the tropical rainforest, seeing plants and animals I had never seen before, hearing the animals that I was not able to see while relaxing in the bungalow. The food here is simply amazing, my favorite in Peru. And lots of food. You will not be hungry. You eat your meals with your guide and group members, hearing stories about the Amazon and the adventures of your fellow travelers, which I really enjoyed. Our bungalow is divided into two sections, so if you have noisy neighbors, you will be able to hear them. The guests who travel here seem to be respectful of the environment and the noise not was a problem during our stay, but it may be a good idea to bring earplugs just in case. As there is no electricity in the rooms, you may want to bringing a flashlight and extra batteries to supplement the candles that are provided in the room. The flashlights are very useful, too, during the night walk. There is a long staircase from the river to the lodge.

We traveled to Tambopata Eco Lodge at the end of May and the weather was very nice. Not too hot or humid, and there was little rain while we were there. I really enjoyed my stay here and would love to come back for a longer visit as I was only there for two nights. Visiting the clay licks is high on my list of places I would like to see. I definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1 mi away
Refugio Amazonas
Refugio Amazonas
#2 of 63 in Puerto Maldonado

Been to Tambopata Ecolodge? Share your experiences!