We spent our last week of Peru in Tambopata RC with one night stop to the Refugio Amazonas. These lodges share some architectural elements and their rooms are very similar. My wife and my 14year old daughter liked it very much. We walked a lot in the forests.
Two nights out of five we heard from our beds rain downpours but during the days we were luckily - we did not use once the rain jackets. The boots provided by the lodges also proved to be a very good idea.
Our guide was Yuri, with great experience identifying the jungle sounds and then locating their source. We were able to see dozens of mammals, birds and insects. We did not see a jaguar but saw ocelot tracks. The birds density was quite shocking for us. Yuri provided context for a lot of amazonian activities. I believe he worked in the past with gold mining operations, Brazil nut collection and some local forms of agriculture before becoming a guide. His English was really good (he probably spends more time per year guiding tourists than with his family). I was also quite impressed with guides speaking German.
The most memorable moments were the night walks. I highly recommend this experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tambopata Research Center (TRC) is a spartan yet comfortable 18 bedroom lodge with 8 shared bathrooms. Because of its remote location in uninhabited wilderness, housing stable populations of endangered wildlife, the small scale of its infrastructure and operations and the presence of researchers and naturalist guides, Tambopata Research Center is an excellent headquarters for in depth explorations of Amazonian nature and wildlife. It is located in a half hectare clearing in the middle of the uninhabited portion of the Tambopata National Reserve, less than a kilometer from the world's largest and most diverse macaw claylick. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Tambopata Research Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tambopata Research Hotel Tambopata National Reserve
- Tambopata Research Center Peru/Tambopata National Reserve