“Fantasic Rainforest Experience!”

Tambopata Research Center
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I went to the jungle near Puerto Maldonado. I had 5 totally amazing days with Rainforest Expeditions (www.peru.nature.com), staying at the Refugio Amazonas and Tambopata Research Centre (the only lodge located inside the national park, offering incredible wildlife encounters and the world's largest macaw clay lick). It's not cheap but worth every penny. I saw plenty of monkeys (spider monkeys, howler monkeys, dusky titi monkeys...), capybaras, caimans, frogs, spiders (tarantulas, wandering spiders...), giant river otters, peccaries, birds (toucans, parrots, macaws, hoatzins...), snakes, butterflies, insects... I was amazed at how many animals we saw and we had many very close encounters. The sightings were increased hugely once we reached the Tambopata Research Center. It was really fantastic and the visit to the macaw clay lick in the early morning where hundreds of parrots and macaws gather was simply incredible and a definite highlight. The rainforest around the TRS was also more beautiful. I would totally recommend that place, the staff are great and will talk about their macaw protection project and you will meet the many friendly, although cheeky, resident macaws (well they have been released in the wild but come back frequently to TRS).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank Marie T

Reviewed 6 August 2011

TRC is the last and furthest lodge up the Tambopata tributary. It is worth the extra day to get there. We saw 5 different types of monkeys, huge river otters, caimen, and many other animals, birds, frogs, and insects. The lodge was clean and the service was exceptional. (Someone swept the moth wings from the floors at 3 am before anyone could wake up and see them). The food was delicious and plentiful and representative of local cuisine. I was most impressed with how professional our guide was. All the guides are educated by the Rainforest expeditions and seemed fantastic. Our guide, Cesar, was patient and a wonderful teacher to my young children during our 7 day trip. Best experience of my life (after traveling the world). And no - there were not many bugs or mosquitos, it was just humid.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank docjoyjoy
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We spent our last week of Peru in Tambopata RC with one night stop to the Refugio Amazonas. These lodges share some architectural elements and their rooms are very similar. My wife and my 14year old daughter liked it very much. We walked a lot in the forests.
Two nights out of five we heard from our beds rain downpours but during the days we were luckily - we did not use once the rain jackets. The boots provided by the lodges also proved to be a very good idea.
Our guide was Yuri, with great experience identifying the jungle sounds and then locating their source. We were able to see dozens of mammals, birds and insects. We did not see a jaguar but saw ocelot tracks. The birds density was quite shocking for us. Yuri provided context for a lot of amazonian activities. I believe he worked in the past with gold mining operations, Brazil nut collection and some local forms of agriculture before becoming a guide. His English was really good (he probably spends more time per year guiding tourists than with his family). I was also quite impressed with guides speaking German.
The most memorable moments were the night walks. I highly recommend this experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank xergiu
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed at Refugio Amazonas for one night before travelling up river to the smaller Tambopata RC which we slightly preferred although it was a longer walk to the toliets and the showers were just as cold (remember to shower at lunchtime!).
Our guide Yuri was great company as well as being very good at his job. We stayed for 3 nights and the food was good throughout, watchout for the macaws at breakfast and don't leave your food unattended!
Yuri and Jorge sorted us out with Kayaks and we then travelled back down river in them supported by a boat and driver, camping overnight in the jungle, this was an absolutely brilliant experience, we thought we had got close to nature already but we could virtually touch it in the quiet of the kayaks. I can't quite believe we have kayaked and swam in the Tambopata!
We saw an abundance of wildlife on the boat trip, walks and kayaking including the elusive Jaguar - good spot Yuri!
All the staff are friendly and helpful.
The beds are comfortable and everytihing is clean and well run.
My only suggestion would be to set up a charging system which you could charge drinks etc to and pay at the office in Porto Maldonado at the end of your trip. but then other people probably took enough cash with them!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ScaryMarySouthUK
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Hi
I´ve been in Tambopata Research Center and for me, it was the best thing of my travel in Peru. I´ve visited too Cuzco and Machu Picchu, National Park Huascarán and Tambopata was the best for me. The forest, the calm, the animal, the nature... you can forget of the rest of the world and the staff is very nice and the lodgement too.
Thanks a lot.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2011

When one goes for a 'Jungle Experience' , you prepare yourself knowing it will be hot and lots of 'critters'. Well, it was all of that, which is what the 'experience' was all about and we absolutely loved it. Accommodations and personnel can also be important.
The lodges, Refugio and Tampobata were 'Top Notch' Clean, well run with VERY hospitable staff. The part that impressed me the most was how they treated their environment, with respect. I can't begin to say how happy we were with our guide, Ivan. Absolutely a wonderful person that took great pains to be sure we had a great time. He took pride in his knowledge and his job. 'Hats Off' to Ivan.

Room Tip: Best Room?! IT's The Jungle! They are all good and OPEN to the whole experience!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SignGuy4444
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I loved my tambopata jungle excursion. The stuff I saw in Tambopata, especially at the Tambopata Research Center, was amazing. I personally saw over 100 species of birds, all species of monkeys in the area, tree climbing ant eaters, giant tarantulas, and of course, the coolest thing.... a jaguar.

Rainforest Expeditions was, by far, the nicest outfit in Tambopata. Their guides are all great, speak perfect English (and you can practice your spanish with them too) and the lodging is very comfortable considering your in the middle of nowhere in the jungle. The company has very eco-friendly practices and their business model is something to admire, to say the least.

When you go, I would recommend staying at all 3 lodges on the same trip - minimum 5 days. You'll get a different perspective and see tons of wildlife. A trip to the Tambopata Research Center lodge is long, but TOTALLY worth the effort. Don't forget, good binoculars are a must on this type of trip!

Room Tip: All rooms are great and equally nice!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
#3 of 21 in Tambopata National Reserve
Inotawa Lodge
Inotawa Lodge
#5 of 21 in Tambopata National Reserve

Been to Tambopata Research Center? Share your experiences!