I went to the jungle near Puerto Maldonado. I had 5 totally amazing days with Rainforest Expeditions (www.peru.nature.com), staying at the Refugio Amazonas and Tambopata Research Centre (the only lodge located inside the national park, offering incredible wildlife encounters and the world's largest macaw clay lick). It's not cheap but worth every penny. I saw plenty of monkeys (spider monkeys, howler monkeys, dusky titi monkeys...), capybaras, caimans, frogs, spiders (tarantulas, wandering spiders...), giant river otters, peccaries, birds (toucans, parrots, macaws, hoatzins...), snakes, butterflies, insects... I was amazed at how many animals we saw and we had many very close encounters. The sightings were increased hugely once we reached the Tambopata Research Center. It was really fantastic and the visit to the macaw clay lick in the early morning where hundreds of parrots and macaws gather was simply incredible and a definite highlight. The rainforest around the TRS was also more beautiful. I would totally recommend that place, the staff are great and will talk about their macaw protection project and you will meet the many friendly, although cheeky, resident macaws (well they have been released in the wild but come back frequently to TRS).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tambopata Research Center (TRC) is a spartan yet comfortable 18 bedroom lodge with 8 shared bathrooms. Because of its remote location in uninhabited wilderness, housing stable populations of endangered wildlife, the small scale of its infrastructure and operations and the presence of researchers and naturalist guides, Tambopata Research Center is an excellent headquarters for in depth explorations of Amazonian nature and wildlife. It is located in a half hectare clearing in the middle of the uninhabited portion of the Tambopata National Reserve, less than a kilometer from the world's largest and most diverse macaw claylick. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Tambopata Research Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tambopata Research Hotel Tambopata National Reserve
- Tambopata Research Center Peru/Tambopata National Reserve