“food and service poor”

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Good for: Child-friendly
“food and service poor”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

i ordered simple sushi rolls. there were good. my girlfriend ordered the hibachi. it was terrible. the texture of the chicken was like it was prepared in a microwave oven and it did not taste good at all. the sauce did not have much flavor to it. our server never came over to check on us and when we called her over to let her know we believe there is a white hair in the hibachi dish, she asked "is it white". we replied "yes". she stated " thats fabric hair and walked away. no apology or anything. needless to say, we will not be eating there again. the place is casual, about 20 tables.

• Visited August 2012

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great sushi, very attentive staff”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I was in the mood to try a new Sushi place and this one caught my eye since it's right next door to one of my new favorites, Mona Lisa Cafe.

This is a quaint Japanese steakhouse that has both Hibachi and a sushi bar. When we went there, there was a sushi chef and our waitress. I'm not sure, but I believe they're a couple and this is a family-run business.

The waitress was *very* attentive to our needs! She came around just the right amount of time (not too much, not too little). We never had to wait long for anything, especially drink refills.

They had a special for 2 people, buy 4 rolls of sushi and get salad or soup included. My wife and I got that and both chose the ginger dressing salad, which was great!

The sushi was very good! Decently priced and well made. I thought there was plenty of fish in the sushi. I was satisfied with it.

We'll definitely stop by again to try the Hibachi sometime.

• Visited March 2012
Rochester, New York
“Must be the best sushi in town”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Our family and friends have been going to Taka House for several years now, and we always cannot wait to come back. Very tasty sushi, probably the best we have tried. The atmosphere is friendly and not rushy. The place is family owned and operated (you don't see it any more), which makes the whole experience totally different then going to a chain place, or to a large restaurant. The food is always fresh and done with care and devotion. Recommend to anyone who either likes sushi, or who would like to start liking sushi!
One more thing, this is for parents - they are very kids friendly. I don't want to say that there are always kids running around there, not at all, normally it is a quite and relaxing place, but if you were to go there with kids, you will feel totally comfortable.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Stan B
Rochester, New York
“great sushi... but stick with that”
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I'm going to start off with what the cons and finish up with the Pro's...

I went here with some co-workers for lunch a year ago. We all ordered the lunch boxes (bento box). I had salmon teriyaki with spicy tuna, rice, soup, salad, and dumplings.
The salmon was tasteless. I dont know what kind of sauce was on it but it definately wasnt teriyaki... was just sour tasting. All in all, everything was too bland. the sushi roll in the box was small and unimpressive. None of us were very happy with our selections. Becauase of this, i stayed away for almost a year before returning.
I finally returned last night with my girlfriend and several others due to constant re-assurance from another friend that the sushi was good. I'm happy that i finally caved in and went back.
The sushi rolls were delicious. Aside from all the expected rolls, they also had some unorthodox rolls that included mango, pinapple and some other interesting combos. I highly recommend ordering from their specialty rolls selection. I had the king lobster roll and it was fantastic. Everything tasted fresh, the rolls were flavorful and not bland. We very much enjoyed our selections from the sushi menu. The unagi was also very good.

So after giving this place a second chance, i am happy to say that I have added it to thelist of sushi places on my normal rotation. I would still not get a dinner or lunch box, but i will be returning for some sushi in the near future.

• Visited April 2011