“Genuine Logis”

Le Logis de la Cadene
Ranked #6 of 24 Saint-Emilion B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 June 2013

In St.Emilion itself(as opposed to the district) accommodation can be scarce. This logis is central and has attached the excellent restaurant described in other reviews.The accomodation is straightforward, but clean and comfortable. On a warm evening the restaurant setting in an outside courtyard is superb.
Access to St.Emilion by train is complicated by the fact that the station (on the Sarlat-Bergerac-Bordeax line) is a long mile from the village, and down in the valley.There seem to be no taxis other than in Libourne the next stop towards Bordeaux ( when we left one way cost us 30 Euros). The Logis was very helpful in picking us up from St.Emilion station on a Sunday when the streets were closed to most traffic.
St.Emilion is lovely as an old stone village, but something of a museum. Apart from restaurants most shops(and there are many) are selling the local wine! The little "train" which takes you round neghbouring Chateaux is fun.
So the Logis is highly recommended for those who like traditional France, except for the disabled who would find the many steps a challenge.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Each summer I visit winemakers around Bordeaux, and I always have at least 1 meal at Logis de la Cadene because the food is truly amazing. Favorites are: Lot (monkfish) w/seasonal vegetables, Wood Grilled Salmon, and truly the world's best Duck Breast anywhere. Char grilled over vine shoots; juicy and tender; mouthwatering yumminess with every bite. Paired with the house red wine and followed by the creme brule trio...well, now I'm hungry again just describing.
Please make reservations, as they're quite often booked. And please don't arrive very late into the evening expecting a full meal be prepared just for you...it's not cost effective for any resturant to operate in such a fashion....plus it's rather poor manners.
Lodging is charming and peaceful - breakfast is delightful and filling. Hosts Marion & Abdou and simply marvelous.

Room Tip: Yes, I mentioned Fitness Center...I consider all of the many steep hills nearby quite a workout.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We had a lovely meal here on a rainy day but did find it expensive. The restaurant has a great atmosphere, a beautiful surrounding and good service. The terrine was exceptionally good, as was the beef cheeks. The steak was enormous and very tasty.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JanineAndAl
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Let me start this review by saying that my stay in St Emilion has been fantastic and I have eaten at some wonderful places with great food and equally great service. My experience of Le Logis de la Cadene was disappointing. In fact, I cannot review the food, service or atmosphere because I never got the opportunity to eat there! I appreciate that a well known restaurant such as this will not always be able to accommodate everyone that passes by, but I was turned away from this place twice and in such a manner that is was extremely embarrassing. The first time, I was told without so much as an apology that the kitchen was closed even though several diners were still present. I decided not to take offence at this and try a couple of days later for an evening meal. On this occasion, I was told that the restaurant was fully booked. However, I could see several unoccupied tables and there were numerous tables inside that were empty. The person that attended to us was rude and brisk. She scanned us from head to toe and then made the decision to say they were full. Both my friend and myself were dressed nicely and had just enjoyed a glass of champagne at HOSTELLERIE DE PLAISANCE, so I will make the assumption that we were dressed in a manner that was more than suitable for this establishment. I will not be trying to get into this restaurant to face rejection a third time, but will take my money and spend it somewhere more deserving.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Angela G
Reviewed 18 August 2012

The courtyard under the wisteria vines was wonderfully inviting on a blazing hot day. We were short on time as we had to make the English language tour of the crazy monk's cave at 2 pm. The owner was understanding and we got our one plate lunch in no time. Should have blown off the tour and had dessert!

Simply wonderful food beautifully prepared. Restaurant food in France is usually cooked to a better standard than in the US, but this was yet another step up. Wish we could have gone back for dinner. Service was good and pricing, while a little on the high side, was still good value for the quality.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My husband and I had dinner here in May 2012. In my travel log I wrote "dinner was superb!"..... so I decided to write a review based on what I wrote in my log book. It was too cool to eat outside under the umbrellas on a cobblestone patio with tables set with red cloths and candles :(.. but, inside we found a wonderful, warm, authentic French-style room filled with an inviting atmosphere without being "overdone" in any manner... and, the meal was excellent! Steve had an entree of a Chicken and Duck Pate (in the form of a meatloaf) served at room temperature over greens with a tangy carmalized onion garnish - wow! His plat was a Magret du Canard (large) served with assorted vegies and pomme de terre - very good plus. My entree was a lightly fried rectangular piece of goat cheese over green and accompaniments - very good plus. My plat was lamb chops, rice and vegies that got a - wow! We splurged for a bottle of the "owners' vintage" vin rouge and it was well worth it. We decided to have our cafe outside (despite the cool temperature) and it was accompanied with a small "pastry goodie" that melted in our mouths. A wonderful, memorable dining experience in a fabulous setting!! We would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This could have been a really good meal. We ate there with another couple,and two of our party ordered the steak, both medium rare. One came out cooked to perfection, the other was well done. When we asked to have the well-done one replaced, they wisked it away and replaced it with one that was raw. The good news -- the duck confit and the eggplant starter were terrific.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple