“Excellent ..... Apart from.....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint-Emilion
Yelloh! Village Saint Emilion
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent ..... Apart from.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Overall we had an excellent holiday at this site.

The latitude/longitude is wrong on the yelloh! Website - which meant that our sat nav brought us to an unknown road over 20 miles away (ie the wrong location!). Other holiday makers had the same experience - not a welcome one after over 24 hours of travelling!! Please correct this ASAP!

The location was perfect. A safe cycle into Saint Emillion and surrounding vineyards. Lots of good supermarkets within a 10 minute drive (leclerc, Carrefour etc). Close to St Foy La Grande (recently voted the best Saturday market in France).. Go if you can!

Generally the weather was warm & sunny - one of the many reasons we decided to go so far south.

We are familiar with the area so this holiday was more about family time - generally relaxing, playing, swimming, mini-golf, cycling, rowing etc - rather than endless sight seeing. The site ticked all the boxes. We enjoyed all of the facilities. The site shop was handy, especially for breakfast pastries (it never ran out, even when we were late - 9:45am!).

The pool was lovely and warm - something we're not used to in France... The area was safe and we went every day. The pool did get a little crowded early evening but this wasn't a problem. There were always beds/loungers/chairs.

The restaurant on site had a simple menu but it was fine. We thought the service was good and Federic inparticular was very helpful - thank you!

There was a good mix of nationalities - Brits / Dutch / French / German / Belgians / Spanish etc - so not too 'Brits on tour' - which was a bonus for us.

We have a shy 6 year old daughter who managed to make some friends whilst there. She wasn't too keen on the kids club as I think she was a little too shy - especially with the language/accent difference (even though she is bi-lingual welsh/English herself). The club maybe something for another time - it seemed well used.

The toilet/shower block & washing up area was the cleanest I've used in over 40 years of camping! A definite positive.

We didn't go to many shows as we were happy enough on our pitch. There were some excellent children entertainers / balloon makers on the evenings we did go. On Tuesdays they had singers/bands which were Very loud and we could hear them from our beds....

We were allocated pitch 18 when we paid for our holiday prior to our arrival. On our arrival though we were allocated pitch 16 as someone had just set up on pitch 18. This was disappointing as pitch 16 was a lot smaller - our tent only just fitted on it!! After such a long journey though - with an extra 20 mile diversion due to the incorrect lat/long on the website.... We just pitched up!!

We noticed that our pitch was quite uneven - with what looked like little mole hills on.... We also clocked a rat trap at the back of the pitch.... Not very welcoming but thought it was just a deterrent.

We noticed throughout our 12 day camping holiday that the ground under the tent was soft & lumpy and the lumps were in different places on different days. when we had rain showers the tent was a bit smelly - which was strange as the tent was new - only used by us once before!

During the last week of our holiday my husband became quite unwell .... And deteriorated rapidly after taking the tent down/travelling home. Resulting in going straight to hospital on our return and being diagnosed with pneumonia.

When we de-camped we discovered a huge rat infestation under four tent... A greasy map of runs & holes. We were horrified!!!!!! We think that rat urine had soaked up into the tent under our air beds on the floor.... Hence the horrid smell after the rain....Yuk!

Our neighbours in their brand new lovely bell tent were equally as horrified and we informed reception immediately. A lady from reception came to inspect and offered to clean our tents... However our tents were now packed away and both us and our neighbours had a ferry to catch, so this was not possible. They did give us bleach to wash our hands in an attempt to help us!?

I have since formally reviewed/reported this awful experience to Yelloh! But I have had no response. Our tent is now a no-go area as we believe it will need to be professionally cleaned?! Something I don't believe we should have to pay for!

I hope no one else was pitched in this area of the site after our departure. It should have been cordoned off for the health & safety of other holiday makers. There were a few staff with clip boards on our pitches when we left... So hopefully action was taken!

Throughout our holiday we were discussing our return next year as we'd had such a good time. However, this has really put us off. The fact that Yelloh! Have not gad the courtesy to respond or acknowledge what happened has also not been appreciated.

Thankfully my husband is now on the mend and back at work.... What a dreadful end to our holiday. Such a shame.

Room Tip: Lake view if you can
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank sally o
YellohSaintEmilion33, Directeur général at Yelloh! Village Saint Emilion, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Mrs Owen,

I received your satisfaction survey on 20/08/14 and read it carefully.

I am very glad you enjoy your stay among us and feel deeply sorry about this bad ending and the health complication of your husband.

As you noticed, we have a nice site in the middle of the nature, surrounded by vineyards and fields, we worked hard all year to maintain and improve it. Pests are one of the point we keep an eyes on.

As soon as we knew about the damages on your place, we take measures:
1/ we blocked the place, so nobody pitch up on (yours + 3 others places around, in case)
2/ we cleaned it, removed the food we found (potatoes and onions) and put bleach on the ground and in the holes we found.
3/ we called our partner Ecolab Pest France, a professional we worked with for a long time now, to prevent, regulate and fights pests. On the day after your departure, he was on site.
4/ we also contact the City Hall's departments, to inform them and to check which measures are taken from their side, as our work in the campsite has no effect if nothing is done at the outside along the river. A meeting with the mayor and his head technical service is planned in September.

We have been reactive, this trouble has been taken into account immediately.

I am actually the one who offered to keep your tent to get it dry and to clean it, to your husband.
You seemed in a hurry for departure, I am sorry you did not accept my offer, I truly think it would have been a good idea. Now I am concern about the state of your tent, if you still did not open it; but I understand that it was not the priority when you came back home.

I read your satisfaction survey last week. It is one of my priority to answer the comments with a personal and personalized letter, looking at the comments objectively, it takes me time and avoid a quick answer, but It is much more respectful, my opinion.

Today I read your tripadvisor comment. I understand you might feel unanswered, but is it not too early to accuse? When I spoke to your man on your departure day, he told me: "we will have to talk about this", and my answer was: "of course, please contact me as soon as your back home and let me know" I meant it and was expecting an email or a letter. I am a bit disappointed you did not contact us directly.

So, again let me know, I definitely fine to speak about it, I am sure we can find a satisfactory solution. We do care a lot about our guest satisfaction.

I send you this answer by email instead of post, so you get it sooner, and from my personal account with my direct contact details at the end of this message, a copy of it will be posted on the tripavisor website.

I sincerely hope this makes you reconsider your opinion about our campsite and wait for you to contact me.

Yours faithfully,

Gaelle PERIN – Campsite Manager

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Excellent campsite with really excellent facilities, clean and well cared for. Lovely shaded pitches, with plenty of privacy and a good size. Swimming pool complex excellent, and the restaurant/takeaway also very good. The staff couldn't be more helpful and pleasant, couldn't understand why this site was rated 3 star, it deserved 5. Lake very pleasant and lots of areas to walk our dog. Not far to St. Emilion we cycled, a must to visit a wonderful old town, and lots of vineyards and wine shops.Recommend this to anyone thinking of this area. Didn't go into any but the chalets etc, looked really first class and well cared for.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrianD51Escape
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Travelling by campervan with our young family we were pleased to stop at this campsite for three nights whilst travelling in France. With young children, the helpful staff, campervan facilities and child friendly features (showers, wc and pool of the campsite have us thinking of a return next year!

Something else we particularly enjoyed was hiring the bicycles (wtih child wagon) and cycling through the vinyards and into the town centre.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank birkim
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Good shade on most pitches. A clean and quiet campsite, well looked after with staff regularly checking on everything. Reception is welcoming. Brand new and modern wash blocks. Excellent pools and activity areas for kids. 5 mns drive from the Village of St Emilion/ around 30 mns walk. 45 mns drive from Bordeaux. We would go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nigella78
sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed here in August 2013. We booked online with two other families, requesting camping pitches next to each other with shade. The online site map is misleading. Do not go anywhere near the pitches surrounding the wash blocks, they are much nearer that you think and afford absolutely no privacy. Fortunately we were all able to change although we were no longer next door to our friends - but near enough - and we were each refunded the 30 euros we spent reserving pitches next to each other.

There was lots to do for kids. A great pool complex which got quite busy but we always found a spot. The lake is great and spent lots of time kayaking, rowing and pedalloing for free. My boys also liked the tennis, table tennis and crazy golf. We hired bikes too a couple of times because the site is safe to ride around.

Wash facilities were good - no problems.

The shop was sufficiently stocked.

The restaurant looked dreadful. We never tried it but other holidaymakers said it was poor. Crap fast food.

Overall, a great place. We'd definitely go back again. My boys said it was one of their favourite campsites in France and I agree.

Room Tip: We camped. Don't choose a pitch anywhere near the wash blocks. Make sure you request a shady pit...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jsbjsb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed on this site from August 14th to August 30th. Having had a long drive down from Cherbourg we arrived at the site hoping that checking in wouldn't be a problem, it was 10pm. We needn't worry as the night security guard had all our details ready and escorted us to our chalet. Clean bedding and towels were ready for us and the standard of cleanliness was very high. Next day we checked in properly and found the reception staff very helpful. The pool area was spotless and we had no issues with sunbeds, the same with the pedaloes and canoes on the lake. The staff went out of their way to help and were very friendly. The only downside was that the nearest beach, at Bicarosse, was only 65km but took 2 hours to drive as the traffic around Bordeaux can be quite heavy, we did the journey 3 times and it was always 2 hours. All in all I can't recommend the site and area enough, St Emilion is stunning as are the surrounding vineyards. A beautiful relaxing site which I will return to as soon as I can.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank jayne2612
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We spend just one night there but we wished to stayed for more!

People: super friendly and always trying to help
Facilities: the bathroom was clean at all times. The pool was really nice and the free activities (golf, kayak, tennis) are great. You have a little store at the reception and in the mornings you can buy croissants.

I totally recommend it.

Room Tip: Try to be not too close of the reception because of the noise (not to loud, but still...)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple