“One of the nicest places we've ever been”

Le Relais de Franc Mayne
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Saint-Emilion
Tel Aviv, Israel
“One of the nicest places we've ever been”
Reviewed 19 October 2009

We stayed at this Chateau for 4 nights during our last trip to France. This chateau is really close to the town of Saint Emilion which itself is a beautiful town. The hotel is really unique, both the rooms and the surroundings, vineyards all around, natural pool (which we sadly couldn't enjoy because of the weather), beautiful gardens. We stayed at the African Lodge room, which was quite fun, having an African decor in the middle of wine country. The hotel's staff was extremely helpful, they made reservations for us in local vineyards and restaurants and recommended us tours and restaurants in surrounding towns. This hotel is not cheap, even for France, but you definitely get your money's worth. We would definitely stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Israel
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed a couple of nights in Chateau France Mayne when visiting the St. Emilion village and wine area. First and foremost - St. Emilion is a superb place and it's advisable to stay nearby as you don't want to drive a lot after having a bottle of Grand Cru...
The chateau is actually a wine estate, rated Grand Cru Classe (highest tier of approx 5% of the St. Emilion vinyards) which turned into a fine botique hotel. The place is not cheap - we paid 240 Eu per night plus 15 each for breakfast and had the Asian Mood room (each room has a theme) - which was really nice. However you really have tons of feature in this place - an outside pool created by a natural stream, a billiard/pool room, a reading room and more. It's 1 km from the village so access is no brainer, and we got a tour of the wine making in the estate which was very professional. Service was just great, all tips and help needed were promptly given, so for an upscale place near St. Emilion it's a great choice.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
melbourne
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Having just reread some of the reviews for this property I wonder if we stayed in the same place.
We loved this small hotel of 9 rooms. We satyed in the Champagne Francoise room which was enormous with a king size bed and glorious view over the pool/garden area and vineyard beyond. We loved the traditional decor of our room, did not even turn on the T.V but did make use of the free wi fi access.
We spent part of our time relaxing on the terrace and talked to so many guests that time had got away from us and it was too late to order dinner. But on asking at reception the staff were happy to oblidge and set up a simple dinner on the terrace which we enjoyed while watching the sun set. We finished the bottle of Franc Mayne wine in the large and comfortable lounge.
The wine tour included in the room rate was interesting and the staff also booked appointments with other chateaus as they did for other guests.The staff wre very friendly and obliging.
We walked into St.Emillion through the wineries a leisurely 15 mintes away.
I could not recommend this place highly enough. I am dreaming about how I could pursuade 8 of my friends to come with me and turn it into a house party-a perfect venue with the biilard room and large common areas!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
nyc
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We stayed in the Asian Mood room which was well-themed, spacious, and overlooked the natural pool (a pond) and the ubiquitous vineyards. The hotel is a tad modern, in light of the age-old surroundings and centuries-old chateaus. I wish there would have been a more comprehensive menu and perhaps a small gym (running on the small intra-chateau roads is challenging if not a little perilous). The service was excellent, and the place clean, close to St. Emilion, and entirely pleasant. Free and painless WiFi was a plus. Our room, with the shutters closed, became perfectly dark, allowing for a deep sleep. Of note: good air-conditioning and a well-intentioned if useless Cable television set-up. I would award a fifth star if the Franc Mayne would have sacrificed some of the modern affects for more traditional european hotel standards. The price, however, was a plus.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 4 August 2009

This hotel, described by all who visit as perfect, was not for me. It certainly was perfect and everything was just so, but I just didn't connect with it. I have travelled all over the world as well as France for many years and perhaps that was the problem. I asked my husband how he felt about the hotel and he said "it has no soul". Most of the guests could have been my children and I really felt like there was a generation gap so if you are in your 20s it may be for you. The hotel is extremely small, maybe 6 rooms but when people walked by you they never said hello. I could have been staying at a large hotel with all the lack of personal connection. Even the staff were like that, if you ever saw a staff member. From all the internet blurbs I would have thought that I was staying in someone's house the way they go on about the couple who run the place. We never saw them or any evidence of them. The staff, like the place, were personality less and perfect. When we were leaving I asked if I could have a bag of ice for our cooler. I was directed to the reception where I waited while the staff called someone. They told me I couldn't have one, I guess all the other guests never need ice, they are cold and cool enough. For Euro 240 a night, I would have liked more.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Stayed in Chateau Franc Mayne for one night and loved it so much came back again
for a second night before we went home. Fantastic hotel, fantastic location and
excellent staff. First night we stayed in Stella Mare room and second night in Pop Rock.
We were given a very good tour of the estate. Could walk to Saint Emilion from the hotel
through all the local vineyards. Lovely outside seating area and pool. Would highly
recommend and will be back !

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 14 July 2009

All the friendly staff all other reviewers write about must have been away, on holidays or gone from the hotel. From the moment we arrived we were ignored; not even the 'emergency contact' number was contactable when we needed him most. What small touches? the room was gaudy and not even a combe was in sight (a proper shower must be assumed surely comes with a 240quid a night price tag?) nice setting yes; a good stay, most definitely not. Having to walk out of the new wing, by the reception in your bikini is not what I consider "privacy". Better money for value everywhere else in St Emilion for sure.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple