“A magical wedding setting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of L'Abbaye Chateau De Camon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Camon
L'Abbaye Chateau De Camon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Camon
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A magical wedding setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

My daughter and fiancé were married here last August. Katie and Peter are lovely hosts and Katie in particular, was extremely helpful as we planned the weekend. Katie was very flexible in meeting our needs. The guest rooms are all very different and we tried to match the rooms to our guests! Tom the chef, creates the most amazing dishes and all our guests loved the venue and the food. It was the relaxed, laid back wedding that the bride and groom had planned! The wine was also good and at Katie's suggestion we arranged a BBQ for all our guests at Domaine Gayda vineyard on the Sunday, and this was also exceptionally good and a complete contrast to the Chateau. It is a beautiful place and one that we will go back to now that we have found it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Thisreview is a bit lengthy, but for those detail-conscious brides planning a wedding, I hope I cover some of your questions. If you want a picture perfect venue inside and out with top notch service, delectable food, and amazing rooms, then you’ve found it! I don’t think it’s possible to even remember every perfect detail from our wedding at L’Abbaye Chateau de Camon at the end of last June. From the very first email to waving goodbye, it was an amazing experience. Katie and Peter lovingly restored this beautiful chateau to be a perfect wedding or event destination. The moment our guests stepped out of their cars, their jaws dropped at the sight of the stone walls, the climbing roses, the wrought iron gate that leads down to the terraced garden, and that was just the entrance! Once everyone settled into their gorgeous rooms, they set out to explore our “home” for the next three days

We had our wedding at Chateau de Camon over the last week of June, and it was such a flawless experience that our friends refer to the event as “the most perfect wedding, ever.” I couldn’t have imagined how it could have been any better, and we can’t thank Katie and Peter for everything they did to make it all come together. First of all, let me say that I researched hundreds of castles, manors, and chateau’s in more than 5 countries looking for the perfect blend of romantic décor, flowering gardens that would act as the backdrop for the ceremony, amazing food, picture perfect setting, and someplace that we could book exclusively for up to 40 people to have the ceremony, reception, and a place for our guests to spend the night. After finding properties that matched those criteria, I narrowed it down Chateau de Camon and another property in the south of France. Chateau de Camon won out because of Katie’s courteous and professional attitude, the amenities of the chateau, the outstanding reputation of their chef, and the overall value. I’ve broken down this review into a few categories to hopefully help, but if anyone has any questions about our experience, please send us a private message.

Planning: During the course of my detailed planning, I sent plenty of emails over to Katie asking about everything from table linens to playing croquet on the lawn, and she was always polite and accommodating. Planning a wedding can be extremely stressful, but the fact that the chateau provides most of what you need “in house” was invaluable. Of course, the rooms are cleaned, breakfast and dinner can be booked, you can arrange to borrow their stereo equipment if you want something in the garden, and you can use any area you wish for the ceremony and reception. I ended up arranging my own bouquet, but I would probably recommend having the flowers prepared by the local florist, BUT Peter is extremely talented with floral arrangements and saved the day when I realized that I might have bitten off a bit more than I could chew. I remember asking Katie over email about flowers, and she’d responded that the chateau didn’t really need any more than usual, and she really wasn’t kidding. The beauty of the chateau with its gardens and flower arrangements all about the house are plenty (and they take things up a notch between the average day and when they have weddings). I would only suggest arrangements for the wedding party (bouquets and boutonnieres), and talk to Katie or Peter about whether anything else is needed. For the cake, we went with the French custom of the croque-en-bouche and ordered it with the local patisserie that Katie recommended. We visited the chateau a week prior to settle the final details like the menu, where to have the ceremony (we chose the garden, which is terraced and absolutely spectacular with flowers everywhere and a gigantic blooming magnolia tree), cocktail hour (also held down in the garden and we played croquet while enjoying kir royales and foie gras canapés), the reception (the courtyard is stunning with even more flowers, vined stone walls, and plenty of room.) I can’t thank Katie enough for being so accommodating and kind with the planning process, in the end, it was better than I ever could have dreamed of with all the extra details that Katie and Peter put together, like parasols for the ladies during cocktail hour in the garden and a million other things that just made the whole experience perfect.

Rooms: The pictures don’t do it justice! One of the many, many reasons I chose the chateau was for the décor. Peter and Katie have lovingly put everything together to look effortlessly gorgeous. It’s French vintage charm set in a perfectly restored stone-wall chateau. There are no awkward signs or other little things that signal commercial use of the house. Even the rooms are designated by hand-painted signs near the door. Each room is uniquely decorated with beautiful wallpaper, sumptuous linens, antique keys with ribbon, and the list goes on and on. We chose to use Coquelicots as the Bridal Suite, and the gentlemen used the Levis Suite upstairs to get ready which worked out perfectly so the ladies had the second floor and the guys had the third on the wedding day. The beds are all super comfortable, and the bathrooms are updated and have all the little amenities you could ask for.

Grounds and Garden: Again, I don’t think it’s possible for you to understand how gorgeous the grounds and garden are until you see them in person. For our wedding, I would have thought they went through with a magic wand and put flowers in all the perfect places. I’m sure that sounds ridiculous, but it was true! Everything was beautiful when we stayed with them a week before, but when we came back with all our guests, their staff had gone through, swept out every cobweb, cleaned up anything out of place in the garden (which is no small feat when you realize how large the estate is!), and put out even more flower vases. I can be quite picky, but I remember walking through and thinking that I couldn’t have made it more picturesque if I’d tried. There’s lavender sprouting up along the edges of the house, jasmine vines, and of course roses everywhere. Peter and Katie really do have an artist’s touch, and you won’t be disappointed with the décor or gardens.

There is a nearby church, just 100-200 meters from the chateau’s gate which would be perfect for a church ceremony. We ended up having a garden ceremony. They have a beautifully manicured terraced garden where there’s stone steps leading down to a grassy opening underneath a massive magnolia tree, and as you walk down the steps you can see the vineyards in the distance. The pool is on the other side of the magnolia, set off to the side so if you don’t want it in the pictures (it’s gorgeous, don’t get me wrong), then it doesn’t need to be. When we had the ceremony, the cherry on top of everything else was that a bunny hopped out as everyone was walking down, and joined us all the way through our vows!

Food: Oh my goodness, Tom deserves a Michelin star. We’ve eaten at some amazing places in our travels, but his menus are superb. You get a list of choices for the canapés and courses, just like most restaurants/wedding venues, but he will definitely cater it to your tastes to make everything just right. We had six courses, each with their own wine pairing (totally worth it, by the way), and every single thing on our plates was to die for. All our guests (including the photographers!) have raved to me about how amazing the menu was. I sat down with Katie beforehand, and asked her for her recommendations, gave her our preferences, but for the most part, I just told her to let him go with whatever he thought was best by using local specialties and what was in season, and it was amazing (duck, foie gras, lavender crème brulee, etc.) If you let them pick, they won’t let you down. Everything from the quality of ingredients, to the taste, to the presentation, we gave them 5 of 5 stars. The table was breathtaking, with candle lanterns and rose arrangements, along with the spread of glasses and silverware. The service was attentive but not even close to overbearing, the timing was just right between courses, and we couldn’t have asked for more.

Activities: there’s a ton of activities in the area: boating, wine tours, hiking, horseback riding, and the list goes on, but do make sure you take the time to leisurely stroll through the village. There aren’t really shops, and only a restaurant or two, but it’s a photographer’s dream. The whole village doesn’t have a single unsightly electric box or commercial poster in it. Mirepoix does has plenty of little shops, just make sure you have enough cars to shuttle everyone back and forth (same with any of the activities). There’s no shortage of things to do in the area, but I’d also give a day or two of just relaxing about the chateau and sipping in the beauty of it all.
Staff: It’s a fairly small staff for everything they accomplish! When we were there, they had one or two extra women to help with everything, one of which is Tom’s wife (I’m so sorry, her name escapes me, but she’s absolutely lovely!), Sebastian was a lifesaver on several occasions, and we might have missed one or two others, but they were all amazingly helpful, kind, and polite. Oh and their adorable dog!

All in all, when I look back, I wouldn’t have changed a thing. We had the run of the place for three days, and it was so perfect, it could have been out of a fairytale. Katie and Peter, your love of the chateau and the way you truly take each guests experiences to heart truly shows. We can’t express our gratitude enough, and we can’t wait to visit again. Thank you!

Room Tip: There's no bad choice. All the rooms are gorgeous!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Steph_Richardson
Santa Barbara, Calif
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Saumon was the name of our room, up the wide winding staircase of this ancient, yet thoroughly comfortable Chateu-hotel in a small village.

Saumon is roomy, has a great view of the countryside, has a large bathroom with ample counter space and in keeping with the ancient and the modern - ancient vibe, modern amenities. Others have said this chateau is fabulous, and it is in its funky historical way. Others have said Katy and Peter are terrific, and they are. Just imagine the energy and creativity to take on an old building and make it a destination in itself. No wonder they have weddings booked far in advance.

We had two of the the fixed menu meals for dinner and we continue to congratulate ourselves for choosing to dine here, as they were among the finest meals we had on this last trip to France. The courses were well chosen, and neither too large nor too small. We made it through the dinners with pleasure. There are no choices for the menu, as the number of diners may be small. (Katy will be sensitive to special requests regarding food, if possible and if made sufficiently in advance.) Nonetheless, the creativity and care in the choice and preparation is apparent.

We had great suggestions for our "hiking habit"... our way of generating an appetite, seeing the beauty of the countryside, and staying fit and enjoying fine cuisine. Peter gave us suggestions for one hike that took us into the country, along a ridge line with fantastic views of the Pyrenees in the distance, to another somewhat larger village where we had a nice light lunch, and back along a trail that was once a railroad line.

You might think this Chateau a bit pricy, but go for it!

Room Tip: consult with Katy and Peter on your requirements.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oski80
Wilton, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

It's hard to describe what makes this such a great place. First and foremost, the owners, Katie and Peter are wonderfully friendly, helpful and creative hosts. They have restored a beautiful 10th Century abbey perched on a small hill at the heart of the tiny village of Camon and turned it into a Chambre d'hotes which is an oasis of such under-stated luxury and tranquillity that it would be hard to match anywhere. My wife and I stayed for just three nights with our teenage daughter in mid-August and we could easily have stayed a great deal longer. Our room was beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean, extremely spacious and airy with high ceilings and gorgeous views out across the fields, woods and hills to the mountains of the Pyrenees.

Breakfasts for us were long drawn-out affairs on the sunny garden terrace, enjoying those spectacular views along with strong coffee and a bounty of fresh fruits and local treats. Days were spent relaxing with a book or touring the local backroads that run amongst the tapestry of pastures, small vineyards and fields of sunflowers in this under-populated arcadia. Peter shared with us his knowledge of the birds of the area and we saw wrynecks, golden orioles and a booted eagle among others. Sunset walks in the evening were taken in the surrounding fields and on rural track-ways, and superb dinners (optional) were served in the old cloisters.

There are so many local activities we didn't manage to get to, from the caves at Niaux to the many Cathar castles, as well as local horse-riding and canoeing, that we will have an excuse to come back. And come back we will - as soon as we can. The combination of superb management and hosting, in a majestic historic building, along with simple comfort, quietude and the beauty of the surrounding countryside, cannot be beaten.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Grassland88
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed for two nights at this fabulous hotel. It felt like the kind of place you could just settle into and stay for months and we regretted not booking for longer. It had a feel of luxury and comfort and Peter and Katie provide the kind of attention you'd receive in a 5 star hotel. Our room was just gorgeous and left you wanting for nothing. It really is fantastic value for money. The icing on this fairytale cake was the food. The chef, Tom, produces dishes that are simply sublime. If you don't have time to stay in the hotel but are passing through the area, you would be missing the most extraordinarily exceptional dinner if you didn't stop by.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janeelizal
Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

What an incredible find! We like to try different places but when we found Abbaye Chateau de Camon we fell in love with the place. We are about to go back and stay for our 3rd time taking more friends with us. The place is magical and has a quality so special that it's hard to put into words. Katie and Peter have created a beautiful place to stay, full of French charm, grandeur yet informal. The chef Tom creates the most exquisite dinners and set in the beautiful surroundings you can't help but come back for more. This place is wonderful as a romantic get away or a great place to go with friends. Whilst there the Camon Cocktail is a must!

Room Tip: All the rooms are superb and have great views.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Olonzac, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

We visited to celebrate my wife's birthday and were delighted with the whole experience. There is an informality about the place which is unusual for such a classy hotel, but makes the stay very comfortable and relaxed. We will return.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camon
Le Manoir d'Agnes
#1 of 1 in Malegoude
Hotel Terranostra
Hotel Terranostra
#3 of 4 in Tarascon-sur-Ariege

Been to L'Abbaye Chateau De Camon? Share your experiences!