“Good holiday but needs a little work...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Afandou
Levante Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
Reviewed 8 August 2013

For those who have been on a Mark Warner holiday before - you know the deal…and much of the following should ring true…

For those who have not been on a Mark Warner holiday this is my sense of the formula at Levante and a few highlights and lowlights on the resort.

Overall an enjoyable 7 days with a 4* rating but probably would not go back.

As ever, you arrive and commence with induction overload…sadly for us and a number of others, this involved a wait for one hour before our rooms were ready. The process then runs something like this… “welcome drinks at 7:30, Mini’s briefings at 8, Junior’s briefings at 8:30, beach briefings at 10am…tennis briefings is at 11am…forgotten how to put your trunks on briefing at 11:30..’ [@Mark Warner – my sense is that you could make this part of arrival a little more personal.]

Once you are relaxed and through induction chaos you start to appreciate the resort which is really rather nice. We paid a little more for a Family Room away from the main block by the adult pool. This was beautifully furnished with a patio, a good fridge, great aircon and a sliding door to separate you from the children’s beds in the evening. Decor was in excellent taste and a very high quality finish.

The resort is large, green and well maintained with a number of places to relax beside 4 pools (1 inside) as well as a number of bars/snackbars and the beach. Note the adjoining properties are less attractive - an industrial site on one side (a receiving station of some sort I think) and an unfinished hotel on the other. These don’t spoil the resort but a wander along the beach (particularly north) is not all that attractive.

The main pool (as described by a number of other reviewers) has been cunningly coated pre-season with a mix of banana skins and margarine. The result is that as the pool gently tapers away from the edge, it tends to take your feet with it before your body is entirely ready. [On a serious note – this needs to be fixed.] The main pool is lovely but was also fairly grubby by the end of our week. A swim along the bottom of the main pool at the end of the week wearing a pair of goggles was a mistake in retrospect.

[@Mark Warner] The odd thing about the pool is that in the day, at the height of Summer, it is about hot enough to make Hades reach for his suncream. The moment however the temperature comes down to any sort of comfortable level (say from 7pm)…they shut the pools…uhhh…why?

There are a lot of MW staff at this resort (80 or so I was told) – the Mini’s team was outstanding while we were there and an initially timid 3 year old loved his time…some of the other interactions with staff were hit and miss. It was extremely hot and the staff work hard. At times this showed a bit. [@Mark Warner – as an aside, I think you need to up your game on the whole password thing which struck me as a bit sloppy.]

Overall though the childcare is very good and you can be prepared to see your children make friends, partake in various activities and randomly appear around the resort singing ‘I don’t care what people say…’ etc. Given the heat, some of the children’s games should really have been played indoors in one of the gym rooms in my view.

The Greek staff who run the resort itself are outstanding – they work hard to resolve any issues, have lots of advice about things to do and places to go and are great with the kids.

A few highs then:

-A BA charter from Heathrow T5. Liked that a lot.
-Tennis and sailing facilities are excellent as is the gym. (Mostly frequented by the ‘have you seen my biceps’ fitness staff).
-Evening movie club was great (though note that Minis and Juniors are not allowed to watch together which seemed a shame).
-There are endless ways to get involved across a full timetable of events. Equally I am reliably told that the spa is also excellent.

A couple of lows:

-One huge annoyance to me was the WiFi. I tend to like the ability to connect when I am away. The WiFi in Levante was sporatic even in main reception and non-existent anywhere else in the resort. In theory there was fast free WiFi in reception and a hotspot around the rest of the resort. Mostly I saw people endlessly flicking in and out of settings unable to find a way of connecting. (This seems a bit of a basic requirement to me these days…).
-Honestly the beach is not great and really needs a bit of care. Don’t arrive with an Indian Ocean mindset – instead think sharp sand, aggregate and duckboards. There are however some lovely beaches not far away – we went by Taxi to the Anthony Quinn beach to snorkel only a few kilometres away (where the Guns of Navarone was partly filmed….)…this is well worth the 15 Euro taxi ride or a cycle. [@Mark Warner – the volleyball court could do with a simple rake to remove the stones…]
-Food is good and plentiful but had a slightly cafeteria feel to the ambiance. There are simply a lot of people to feed and buffet style for that number can be a bit chaotic. We tended to eat a few times in the Pan Asian restaurant which has a 15 Euro supplement for Hotel Guests. The menu here was really good and the ambiance is calmer/more elegant. (Although they seemed to want a reservation even when the place was largely empty – not sure why).

Overall then a 4 star – a good holiday with a bit of room for improvement.

@Mark Warner – a final random thought - perhaps the one thing I would lose was the ‘feta level cheesiness’ of the airport drop-off briefing by the MW rep…(said in a tone of admirable sincerity)… ’and remember with Mark Warner Holidays…everyone is a winner’ (unless you are trying to get onto one of the Levante WiFi Hotspots that is…or trying to make a graceful entrance into the pool…)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank ebenUK

Reviewed 6 August 2013

My husband and I travelled to levante beach resort with his 3 teenage children. We needed a holiday that wasn't too costly but provided ample activities for us all. We stumbled across this resort after a local travel agent recommended a Mark Warner holiday.
We requested rooms next to each other and this is what we were allocated. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The air con was a welcomed relief from the heat. Our room's wet room was blocked but we only realised this at the end of the holiday after seeing how the children's drained away but I'm sure that the staff would have been happy to sort this had we reported it.
The hotel staff were so friendly and happy to advise regrading local knowledge. The mark Warner staff were also a very nice bunch of well qualified people. The manager of the mark Warner staff was so accommodating; my husband was travelling after having chemotherapy and was suffering with night sweats. They were very understanding and changed our bed linen every day.
The food was also far better than I was expecting. There was a wide selection throughout the day and usually there were typical Greek dishes which was great. The Pan Asia restaurant was delicious; very good value for money and a nice break from the regular restaurant.
The grounds and the pool were beautiful; we took a liking to the pool at the bottom of the resort as it had lovely views of the beach.
The beach was shingle but they sell cheap shoes at the shop and its a small price to pay for the quality of the rest of the resort. Between us we tried a variety of watersports on offer and the boys took out some bikes one afternoon. We thoroughly enjoyed the Crazy Sofa; my husband purchased a GoPro for the holiday so we can re-live the memories over and over.
I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone who wants a combination of relaxation and fun activities.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 82Lottie
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a great holiday and the resort is very good. I actually recommended this resort to friends but told them NOT to book the suites with sea views as they are no better. They went this year and all had a good time.

The problem was we paid extra for a superior suite with sea views & it was no different from any other room in size just had bigger inter connecting doors. We paid over 590 for the pleasure of nothing!

To see the sea you'd need bionic eyes and we were located over the dining hall with a view of a building site to our right. We had BBQ smoke blowing up every night (however the food from the BBQ was great but didn't want the smell in our room or on our clothes all night) and when we brought the issue to the attention of the MW manager she agreed with us but said she couldn't do anything and we would have to deal with MW Customer Service on our return.

Well, this is where MW have let themselves down (not the resort), they have a customer service manager who knows nothing of the resort.

Rather than seek any refund for the value we paid, we suggested that the additional cost that we had paid be given to us by credit note or voucher to use against a future MW holiday. The reply from MW customer service was not satisfactory.

So, all you can do is vote with your feet, this was our 3rd MW holiday and I will not go on another MW holiday till there is some sort of resolution. This is a matter of principle and good business ethics, clearly not part of the MW company core values.

Room Tip: Just don't book a superior suite with sea views, as they will charge you for them and they are n...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard C
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I suppose the title says it all. It was ok. So the bad bits first. The pools were very dirty. Used plasters, bits of paper and more sand than the beach. Don't pay any extra for room types. They are pretty much all the same>We paid full price and got rooms at the back of the hotel, others did last minute discount and got poolside villas. It is a big resort and not as intimate as other MW resorts. That said childcare was exemplary as always. Beachfront was excellent and when you see the kit they have there you will see where your money goes. For those here that say they don't know what the childcare arrangements are- go to the briefing on the first day, not to the bar. They give you a full weeks timetable for your little ones so you can drop them off and pick them up when they want to go in and out. Mine wanted to do about 30 pc of the time which was fine. We always knew where they were to pick them up when they had done the hour or so session they wanted to do. Expensive yes. Worth it? only if you are a sailor or play tennis! Oh and I would highly commend the local staff at reception, housekeeping and in particular the staff in the restaurant. Truly exceptional.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Just had to write to say what a fantastic holiday we had at Levante Beach. The hotel, pools, sports facilities and other amenities were all of a high quality but it was the staff that made the holiday for us. The Mark Warner staff in "child care", waterfront and on the tennis courts were not only knowledgeable but also incredibly customer orientated as well as great fun. The staff in the restaurants and on reception were also always helpful, cheerful and very welcoming. We took our two older teenage children with us and were concerned about how that would work in reality (this being our first Mark Warner experience) but we should not have been worried at all. They both had a fantastic time and are already looking forward to a return trip!

All in all, a high recommendation for a great holiday!! The weather helped too... wall to wall sunshine!

Room Tip: Rooms near to the stairways a probably a bit noisier than others.
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I won't go through all the usual stuff you get with a Mark Warner holiday - all of the child care, activities etc were up to the usual high standard. But this was our first trip to Levante, and I expect we'll be back. It's a really great all-round resort. The range of activities on site, the opportunities to run or cycle though the surrounding area, the trips available to explore the island and the weather (which at least while we were there was perfect for a combination of water skiing and sailing) made this our favourite Mark Warner holiday so far (our seventh). And the kids agree!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We have just returned from our first first Mark Warner Holiday at the Levante Beach and I've got to say I'm really impressed. The staff could not have been friendlier, and the management are always around if you need them. Sue and her team made us feel really welcome, nothing was too much trouble.
The kids enjoyed the activity clubs and the friendships they made so much that my eldest daughter was in tears as we left. Thank you for making it the best holiday ever (to quote my daughter). We will definitely return next year. The Doerr family

Room Tip: We stayed in the main hotel overlooking the pool which was really handy for most of the amenities.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afandou
Elysium Resort & Spa
Afandou Bay Resort Suites
1 mi away
Sentido Port Royal Villas & Spa
Rodos Princess Beach Hotel

Been to Levante Beach Resort? Share your experiences!