“Mark Warner's Best Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Afandou
Levante Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Mark Warner's Best Hotel”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I've visited quite a few of the different Mark Warner resorts over the years and I'm pleased to say that in my opinion this is the best.
The rooms are all of a good standard, I'd say better than the Hilton rooms you can book at Lakitira. The pools are amazing with an 84m long family pool and a great adults only pool where if your children are older you can indulge in a spot of water polo. There is also a pool where the indies hang out which is perhaps worth avoiding unless you're a teenager.
The boats and the tennis are great and well organised, with a very active social tennis programme.
I can think of only three areas where the resort could be improved.
1. The food gets a bit samey if you're there for two weeks - the buffet format is good but a bit more variation would be appreciated
2. The wifi was very hard to connect to - this could be a blessing in disguise though.
3. The entertainment in the evening was a bit on the poor side.

Room Tip: We had a family suite with sea view and a private pool. I think if we were to go again we'd fore...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This resort was great for myself and my two boys. The hotel has an extensive collection of different boats from Picos up to the Topper Xenon. The staff are excellent and very friendly. My wife, who tends to get sea sick very easily, even did her RYA Level 1. Buffets do tend to be a bit repetitive and the food is not up to the standard of the better Club Med resorts, but it was OK. Asian restaurant is very good. If we went again we would not go Full Board as the Half Board option would have given us more variety. Rooms spacious but our family room for 5 (mum, dad and 12/14/16 year olds) needed more than just the one bathroom. Similar resorts we have stayed at have had 2 for such large rooms.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms down by the beach on the left side (when looking towards the sea). Some building w...
1 Thank drellis
bath
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband, myself and 2 boys aged 6 and 8 returned from the Levante 2 days ago from a great family holiday.
Flight was solely MW and was great.
Transfer took 25 minutes on a coach which was great.
Resort - clean and spacious accommodation, great food, cold beers, childcare the best! very hot though, air-conditioning everywhere. All pools were very clean and slightly warm. As this resort is only 1 year old it does lack a little heart and atmosphere but overall we had a fantastic family holiday and would return. Any questions please contact me.

Room Tip: ask for a room near the restaurant then you will be near the childcare too. resort is a little space...
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The brochure shots make the Levante Beach look a bit desolate (must have been taken when the hotel was empty) so we were a little apprehensive about what we would find. We needn't have worried, the hotel is smart and well laid out, with low rise blocks of accommodation leading down to the beach. The grounds are spacious and well kept. Nice touches such as slippers and bathrobes in the room, and freshly squeezed orange juice at breakfast were appreciated, and the impressive array of swimming pools and loungers meant that complete relaxation was assured. But overall what made our stay perfect was the great service we received from the staff. The lovely Nancy at reception who helped us in our 2 week search for the one missing Adidas trainer (never found!) Caterina in the Taverna who made a fuss of our son, (and sneaked him extra desserts) Akis, Nick, and Iona in the restaurant, always smiling no matter how hot and busy they were, and Elsa in the pool bar for not forgetting our son likes ketchup with everything!!! Angela did a great job in finding us a good table every evening at 8.30pm ....the time that EVERYONE turns up! (so be warned), and I mustn't forget the Mark Warner Staff. A well organised tennis team expertly headed up by Josh coped admirably with the surge of interest generated by Andy Murray's Wimbledon win. The waterfront staff were also superb. As novice sailors learning in very gusty conditions we really needed their help. Tess's positive 'can do' attitude inspired us with confidence, (and her muscles came in handy too for hauling us out of the drink). To mention any negatives is probably nit- picking but it's maybe worth saying that there is an ugly unfinished building next door to the Levante Beach Hotel, but as there was no work going on and no noise it wasn't a big deal. I heard quite a lot of people complaining about the patchy Wi-Fi access, but you can pay 1 euro for 15 mins internet browsing from the hotel's computers. The food was of a good standard, and plentiful, but as you would expect the self-service buffet arrangement doesn't really create a relaxed ambience, that said, there is the choice of a waiter service meal in the Asian restaurant at a 15 euro supplement (really tasty food) or the Greek Taverna (nice food but way too much of it).

We hired a car over the weekend (when kids clubs are not available and there is a big changeover) Rhodes is worth exploring, The Old Walled Town dating back to the Knights of St John is impressive, there are beautiful sandy beaches not too far away such as Tsambika, and our personal favourite the bay of Lindos. Beauty spots nearby such as7 Springs ( a nice cool refuge in the heat of the day) and even a huge Water Park in Faliraki (it gets busy - we found it best to go first thing in the morning). The only bad experience we had on holiday was a run-in first with a rude shopkeeper and then a rude waiter in Lindos. Such a shame as Lindos is a beautiful place and I have to say everyone else we met on the island was helpful and cheerful.

To summarise I would be happy recommend this hotel and resort to friends and family, and we are seriously considering a return visit next year.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 August 2013

For those who have been on a Mark Warner holiday before - you know the deal…and much of the following should ring true…

For those who have not been on a Mark Warner holiday this is my sense of the formula at Levante and a few highlights and lowlights on the resort.

Overall an enjoyable 7 days with a 4* rating but probably would not go back.

As ever, you arrive and commence with induction overload…sadly for us and a number of others, this involved a wait for one hour before our rooms were ready. The process then runs something like this… “welcome drinks at 7:30, Mini’s briefings at 8, Junior’s briefings at 8:30, beach briefings at 10am…tennis briefings is at 11am…forgotten how to put your trunks on briefing at 11:30..’ [@Mark Warner – my sense is that you could make this part of arrival a little more personal.]

Once you are relaxed and through induction chaos you start to appreciate the resort which is really rather nice. We paid a little more for a Family Room away from the main block by the adult pool. This was beautifully furnished with a patio, a good fridge, great aircon and a sliding door to separate you from the children’s beds in the evening. Decor was in excellent taste and a very high quality finish.

The resort is large, green and well maintained with a number of places to relax beside 4 pools (1 inside) as well as a number of bars/snackbars and the beach. Note the adjoining properties are less attractive - an industrial site on one side (a receiving station of some sort I think) and an unfinished hotel on the other. These don’t spoil the resort but a wander along the beach (particularly north) is not all that attractive.

The main pool (as described by a number of other reviewers) has been cunningly coated pre-season with a mix of banana skins and margarine. The result is that as the pool gently tapers away from the edge, it tends to take your feet with it before your body is entirely ready. [On a serious note – this needs to be fixed.] The main pool is lovely but was also fairly grubby by the end of our week. A swim along the bottom of the main pool at the end of the week wearing a pair of goggles was a mistake in retrospect.

[@Mark Warner] The odd thing about the pool is that in the day, at the height of Summer, it is about hot enough to make Hades reach for his suncream. The moment however the temperature comes down to any sort of comfortable level (say from 7pm)…they shut the pools…uhhh…why?

There are a lot of MW staff at this resort (80 or so I was told) – the Mini’s team was outstanding while we were there and an initially timid 3 year old loved his time…some of the other interactions with staff were hit and miss. It was extremely hot and the staff work hard. At times this showed a bit. [@Mark Warner – as an aside, I think you need to up your game on the whole password thing which struck me as a bit sloppy.]

Overall though the childcare is very good and you can be prepared to see your children make friends, partake in various activities and randomly appear around the resort singing ‘I don’t care what people say…’ etc. Given the heat, some of the children’s games should really have been played indoors in one of the gym rooms in my view.

The Greek staff who run the resort itself are outstanding – they work hard to resolve any issues, have lots of advice about things to do and places to go and are great with the kids.

A few highs then:

-A BA charter from Heathrow T5. Liked that a lot.
-Tennis and sailing facilities are excellent as is the gym. (Mostly frequented by the ‘have you seen my biceps’ fitness staff).
-Evening movie club was great (though note that Minis and Juniors are not allowed to watch together which seemed a shame).
-There are endless ways to get involved across a full timetable of events. Equally I am reliably told that the spa is also excellent.

A couple of lows:

-One huge annoyance to me was the WiFi. I tend to like the ability to connect when I am away. The WiFi in Levante was sporatic even in main reception and non-existent anywhere else in the resort. In theory there was fast free WiFi in reception and a hotspot around the rest of the resort. Mostly I saw people endlessly flicking in and out of settings unable to find a way of connecting. (This seems a bit of a basic requirement to me these days…).
-Honestly the beach is not great and really needs a bit of care. Don’t arrive with an Indian Ocean mindset – instead think sharp sand, aggregate and duckboards. There are however some lovely beaches not far away – we went by Taxi to the Anthony Quinn beach to snorkel only a few kilometres away (where the Guns of Navarone was partly filmed….)…this is well worth the 15 Euro taxi ride or a cycle. [@Mark Warner – the volleyball court could do with a simple rake to remove the stones…]
-Food is good and plentiful but had a slightly cafeteria feel to the ambiance. There are simply a lot of people to feed and buffet style for that number can be a bit chaotic. We tended to eat a few times in the Pan Asian restaurant which has a 15 Euro supplement for Hotel Guests. The menu here was really good and the ambiance is calmer/more elegant. (Although they seemed to want a reservation even when the place was largely empty – not sure why).

Overall then a 4 star – a good holiday with a bit of room for improvement.

@Mark Warner – a final random thought - perhaps the one thing I would lose was the ‘feta level cheesiness’ of the airport drop-off briefing by the MW rep…(said in a tone of admirable sincerity)… ’and remember with Mark Warner Holidays…everyone is a winner’ (unless you are trying to get onto one of the Levante WiFi Hotspots that is…or trying to make a graceful entrance into the pool…)

7 Thank ebenUK
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My husband and I travelled to levante beach resort with his 3 teenage children. We needed a holiday that wasn't too costly but provided ample activities for us all. We stumbled across this resort after a local travel agent recommended a Mark Warner holiday.
We requested rooms next to each other and this is what we were allocated. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The air con was a welcomed relief from the heat. Our room's wet room was blocked but we only realised this at the end of the holiday after seeing how the children's drained away but I'm sure that the staff would have been happy to sort this had we reported it.
The hotel staff were so friendly and happy to advise regrading local knowledge. The mark Warner staff were also a very nice bunch of well qualified people. The manager of the mark Warner staff was so accommodating; my husband was travelling after having chemotherapy and was suffering with night sweats. They were very understanding and changed our bed linen every day.
The food was also far better than I was expecting. There was a wide selection throughout the day and usually there were typical Greek dishes which was great. The Pan Asia restaurant was delicious; very good value for money and a nice break from the regular restaurant.
The grounds and the pool were beautiful; we took a liking to the pool at the bottom of the resort as it had lovely views of the beach.
The beach was shingle but they sell cheap shoes at the shop and its a small price to pay for the quality of the rest of the resort. Between us we tried a variety of watersports on offer and the boys took out some bikes one afternoon. We thoroughly enjoyed the Crazy Sofa; my husband purchased a GoPro for the holiday so we can re-live the memories over and over.
I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone who wants a combination of relaxation and fun activities.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 82Lottie
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a great holiday and the resort is very good. I actually recommended this resort to friends but told them NOT to book the suites with sea views as they are no better. They went this year and all had a good time.

The problem was we paid extra for a superior suite with sea views & it was no different from any other room in size just had bigger inter connecting doors. We paid over 590 for the pleasure of nothing!

To see the sea you'd need bionic eyes and we were located over the dining hall with a view of a building site to our right. We had BBQ smoke blowing up every night (however the food from the BBQ was great but didn't want the smell in our room or on our clothes all night) and when we brought the issue to the attention of the MW manager she agreed with us but said she couldn't do anything and we would have to deal with MW Customer Service on our return.

Well, this is where MW have let themselves down (not the resort), they have a customer service manager who knows nothing of the resort.

Rather than seek any refund for the value we paid, we suggested that the additional cost that we had paid be given to us by credit note or voucher to use against a future MW holiday. The reply from MW customer service was not satisfactory.

So, all you can do is vote with your feet, this was our 3rd MW holiday and I will not go on another MW holiday till there is some sort of resolution. This is a matter of principle and good business ethics, clearly not part of the MW company core values.

Room Tip: Just don't book a superior suite with sea views, as they will charge you for them and they are n...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afandou
Afandou Bay Resort Suites
Elysium Resort & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
#1 of 20 in Kallithea
Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa

Been to Levante Beach Resort? Share your experiences!