“Never again!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Afandou
Levante Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
London
“Never again!”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I actually couldn't wait to leave this hotel. I was just amazed at how many of our fellow holiday makers seemed to love it and overlooked what were, in my ooinion, pretty funamental failings for a supposedly five star resort. My overall view of this MW hotel was that it was soulless and in all honesty, quite depressing. To be fair, this was our first ever family holiday - having a young son of almost two. Prior to this, we have always opted for a private villa in Europe where we have our own pool and can buy local produce in the markets and cook every night. We opted for something different because everybody raves about MW. To be frank, this simply wasn't our bag. But in terms of the specifics, we went with an open mind, preparing to be wowed following all the positive reviews but were left feeling cheated. The hotel itself had no vibrancy or atmosphere to it. You could sit by the pool and literally hear a penny drop. A bit of music wouldn't have a gone a miss just to breathe a bit of life into the place. Forget people watching either - the people were seriously bland albeit "nice". Others have mentioned the freezing pools but seriously MW, sort it out. It is simply not acceptable to charge the money you do and expect people to plunge into icy waters every day. I had envisaged splashing about in the water with my boy when he wasn't in the creche but instead he screamed everytime he was put in because it was simply beyond the realms of comfort. That was irritating beyond belief. In addition, the Wifi only seemed to work in the hotel lobby and even then it was temperamental at best. I ended up having to use my phone as a Wifi hotspot which cost me a small fortune. I think it's pretty much taken as a given that when you go away you will have internet access. It's not exactly a luxury and we are in Greece, not outer Mongolia, MW. The food: uninspiring and frankly, if I never see a buffee counter again it will be too soon. For the money, you should be able to eat a la carte if you wish. It felt like being in a canteen - again the outside eating area was fine but inside was grim. Now on to the beach. Wow....I don't think I've ever seen a nastier beach and I've been to Blackpool. Think grey dirty sand, littered with sharp objects, stones and the odd large rock thrown in for good measure. Not fun at all. I didn't come equipped with beach shoes and almost ripped my feet to shreds one day. Having a severe case of cabin fever after a couple of days we decided to venture to the nearest village called Kolimbia which is about 15 minutes away. Shouldn't have bothered - full of tourist tat. Simply awful. We hired a car from the hotel one day and ventured to Lindos which quite honestly, was the highlight of our trip. We had an amazing lunch and got to see a well preserved quintessentially Greek village and swam in the beautiful bay (with lovely soft sand). Finally, my assassination of this resort would not be complete without a review of the rooms. I cannot honestly believe that they call this resort five star. Think of cheap and nasty beech coloured furniture, Ikea sty-lee with hard beds and pillows and you get the picture. It was a shame as well that the balcony was covered so it got no sun. All in all, not a good experience for us. We certainly wouldn't risk MW again. A villa in the South of France wins hands down every time, kids club or not. Did you know the founder, Mark Warner's real name is Mark Chitty? Say no more.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank Monty1002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My family have been on mark warner for 5 years now and we love going back every year. My daughter loves the 'Indies Club' which is fantastic for teenagers. The staff are very relaxed with the teenagers and they can either do as many activities as they like in the day or can simply chill by the pool. The activities available were; water-skiing, ringo rides, tennis, swimming, yoga, aerobics, quizzes and many more. The teenagers she meets are always lovely. They have 3 meals together a day which can be slightly annoying as parents because we end up hardly ever seeing our children but as long as they're having fun it's not a problem. The childcare staff would organise evening entertainment till 10 such as quizzes and games but this was optional. There is a town nearby called Kolymbia which has various shops and bars. The older teenagers usually went into the town at night and they would walk along the road leading up to the town which can be dangerous but it was never a problem. We did suggest perhaps taking a taxi there and back. I believe the week we were there this year had roughly 100 teenagers aged 14-17 but not all of them turned up. There were about 4-5 groups consisting of 20 teenagers but my daughter said it was never a problem and she had 20 people in the 17 year age group which was great. Mark Warner are well organised and fun holidays for teenagers. In terms of the Levante resort my main issue was the lack of vegetation, we have been to the Sea Garden resort in Turkey three years in a row and the views are outstanding. Levante is a very modern resort and at times I felt like I wasn't in Greece. Also, I think there should be more entertainment for adults in the evenings. Personally, my family and I love mark warner but I think the Sea Garden resort is more cultural. I highly recommend Mark Warner.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lara_98321
Chipping Norton
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Levante beach is brilliant. I went here with my partner and was really good but would be perfect for a family holiday. The Mark Warner childcare looked fantasic and the kids look like they had loads of fun. The room was modern with lots of space and all staff were friendly. We did Full Board and found the drinks very reasonable. Had lots going on for tennis lovers and activities througout the day. The WIFI only seems to work in the bars, pools and lounge but dont expect to use in bedrooms. Would difiently return to Levante Beach Resort.

Room Tip: request a room near the pools
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BlakeyChippingNorton
Oxford
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Me & my other half have just returned from a two week holiday, this being our first Mark Warner (MW) 'active' holiday experience. If you are also looking to take the plunge there are some fundamentals you need to know about MW. They are set up for families all season. So expect children from babies to teenagers which were prominent even over our two weeks (27th Sept -12th Oct). If you want a child free environment don't come here. All guests fly together on the chartered flight and imagine it can get quite bad with children and babies crying. We had about 12 children going out under 5 on our flight and about the same going back and would not like to experience 'peak' time which has been mentioned on a previous reviews. I echo the excellent feedback about the flight and service through T5 with ALL drinks on the flight FREE.

The hotel itself is very well presented and in its second season of operation. We had a room facing the waterfront and beach had room was still new with no signs of much wear and tear. Room cleaning staff were excellent with linen and fresh towels for washing and separate towels for the beach/pool changed daily. The newly established grounds are well maintained by staff. There are five pools in all one of them indoor and heated and one of them outside is for adults only. We did swim in the pools on two days but they are chilly and the sea is far warmer.

The ambiance of the hotel was very chilled and relaxed as it was off peak with only one plane arriving per week. This was perfect for us as no mad rush at meal times, not too many children, plenty of space by the pools etc.. we would only ever go off peak.

The shore varies with different degrees of sand and pebbles along the immediate section of beach so bring shoes to wear. The sea has a very sharp dip of pebbles from shallow to thigh height quite early so be prepared. The beach is what it is and even though complaints have been made the beach make up is really out of MW’s control. We would however agree on them looking into the heating of at least one of the outside pools. We stayed full board which for the first week lunch was served in the main restaurant. As there were not many full board guests this changed in the second week to being able to eat in any of the other two restaurants. It made our food experience more variable. The Pan Asian restaurant was fantastic. Even though we were aware of some parties getting bouts of 24hr sickness we never did.

The cost of alcoholic drinks were more than expected but on par with bars and restaurants out of the resort. Large beer 4 Euro, cocktails between 6-7 Euros. We noticed that drinks are not free poured anymore but the measures are still larger than in the UK.

Hotel entertainment is not the best, but did not bother us as this was not really something we expected anyway.

We took part in Tennis, Mountain Biking, Fitness Classes and Windsurfing while we were there. All facilities, equipment and tuition were excellent.

The new GT bikes were very popular and were well maintained by Sam who was great laugh and very knowledgeable about bikes. The only thing I would note is the hard saddles. Take a gel one if you have one and gloves.

I attended most of Hannah’s fitness, stretch and Yin Yoga classes which were well worth it. Great fun, clearly taught and welcome to work and adapt with all fitness levels.

We did not do any of the trips as we took the bikes out to go and explore Afandou and Kolimpa and other areas as it was free and more fun.

In summary we would definitely go back out of peak season, the cherry on the cake would be some pool heating next year but would not stop us from returning.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ox4dcouple
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Having been on several Mark Warner holidays this hotel was by far the best.

On arrival we were greeted by smiling staff as well as drinks and canapes.

Room: We had a 'Large Suite' which included a bedroom, lounge, bathroom and a private swimming pool (where we spent most days). Both the bedroom and lounge had large flat screen televisions and an alarm clock with a docking system for your iphone/ipod. There were plenty of wardrobes and hangers for us which was great as it meant I could hang summer dresses,shirts etc. and not have to worry about looking creased. We were surprised to see a complimentary bottle of wine in the fridge which cheered us up as the weather seemed rather windy and cold!
Beach towels, bath/hand towels, dressings gowns, slippers etc were ready and waiting for us in our bathroom. We really liked having a separate bath shower but not so keen having to put toilet paper in a bin!

Once settled and unpacked we attended the welcome speech. It didn't really apply to us as we don't have children (so don't need to use the childcare facilities) and had only intended to partake with the water sports and tennis departments as a casual activity.

Food: The food was excellent (too good) and we ate far too much! Each night was themed and there was always 'typically Greek food' available as part of the buffet. The restaurant and bar staff were all Greek, which is nice to see as Mark Warner is an only British holiday company.
We loved eating outside, particularly at breakfast time because the sea view was idyllic as it was beyond the 80ft pool.
We spent our lunchtimes mostly at the Pan Asian Restaurant, because the menu was great and we loved it so much. Very generous portions. Being full board we could have also eaten at the beach bar.

Gym & Spa: The hotel is fairly new - everything in the Gym and Spa was too. The spa is very exclusive out of this world.
Although we didn't book any treatments or a personal trainer I did get a manicure in the salon and we spent a couple of evenings in the indoor heated pool - it was more like an huge warm bath!

Location & Amenities: We are not keen sailors nor windsurfers but we did make the most of the hotel's great location. We hired 2 Mark Warner bikes one afternoon and cycled into Afandou and ended up at a lovely coved bay stopping for a drink and a paddle.
One day we decided to get the bus to Lindos which was only 25mins away, the bus stop is at the entrance of the hotel. We visited the Acropolis first (it was 6 Euros to enter) and spent the afternoon at St Pauls Bay which was beautiful.
On the last day of our holiday we booked (at the hotel) 'Lanterns on the wall' trip which included a guided tour around Old Rhodes, dinner, free time and an evening boat trip around the coast. It was a lovely end to a fantastic holiday.

We both sat on the plane wishing we had booked a second week!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
watford
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Brochure is a little economic with its description. The extra 2 beds - hard sofa beds were not worth sleeping on the double bed was soft and very noisy ! if going ask for a room where you have sun on the veranda 50% will be in the shade. Note the number of swimmers in the cold pool in brochure. Pool next door is heated so suggest you pop over there. Spa is operated by a third party and a sauna will cost you 10 euros if club med it would be free! as would all your drinks. As there are 2 management teams excluding the 'spa' you will find a lack of warmth. With club med you feel part of the place for example you get a super welcome and a warm farewell with club med. Club Med team work together here at Mark Warner you feel separated depending on what activity you are doing. I did not like the coffee

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the sun. if you want a bath you will pay a lot lot more because you have to buy...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank magicnic
Oxford UK
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was our second trip to Levante Beach. Having been last year when the resort was newly opened and enjoyed a good week including the tennis academy, we returned with a group of like-minded friends for the Intensive Tennis Week in late September.

Things got off to a quick start on the tennis courts shortly after arrival on the Saturday afternoon where we were given a warm welcome by Josh and his team. We were all quickly absorbed into the wider group who had booked for this specialist week and everybody got along famously, with evening social events woven seamlessly into the programme. There was plenty of coaching, social tennis and tournaments, as well as tipsy tennis and quizzes for all. The coaching team worked very well together and their energy was infectious.

There was free time in the middle hours of the day for those who wanted to sail or swim or simply take a walk into the nearby town. The sea was a lovely temperature, though the adult pool temperature was refreshing - it felt like a good temperature to swim in after a length or two.

Food in the taverna and the fusion restaurant was plentiful and filling and the evening buffets offered something for everyone.

Accommodation was very good and everywhere was very clean.

I would recommend this holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms in the hotel are good for those playing tennis or wanting to be close to the restaurant. For...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TimOxfordUK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afandou
Afandou Bay Resort Suites
Elysium Resort & Spa
Elysium Resort & Spa
#1 of 20 in Kallithea
Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa

Been to Levante Beach Resort? Share your experiences!